DUNE 3 Dual Filters & Increase Polyphony

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE 3 Dual Filters & Increase Polyphony

Postby digitalboytn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:50 am

OK...I have mentioned this before, but I thought that I should ask again :) Is it possible to get an update where the two filters in DUNE 3 can be assigned independently from each oscillator ? That would make the two filters so much more flexible....There is great potential being missed by the current filter assignment....Also,is it possible to increase the polyphony to 24 voices ? Many of us just use the synth as a single layer instrument and because of the nature of sounds that DUNE 3 is used for,it runs out of polyphony fairly quickly...Most if us use computers that would be able to deal with the increased polyphony with no sweat ! I hope that everybody is safe and well in this crazy Covid world and I hope that you are all making inspiringly beautiful music....Thanks to Richard and company for the great tools...Now about those feature requests ? :) Ajw
digitalboytn
Novice

Re: DUNE 3 Dual Filters & Increase Polyphony

Postby fegyo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:13 am

Im not sure you know how DUNE3 works. You have 8 solo voices, so u can make 3 identical copies of your sound and control separately not only oscillators, but any source. Just be careful, which voice you are editing. If you edit voices separately, it's very easy to get lost which voice you edit now :)
Regarding polyphony its a similar issue. Make 8 copies and you get 128 voices not only 24 :)
Hire me for graphic design.
fegyo
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 am

voices does not equal note polyphony
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby fegyo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

who said? if you play two monophonic sounds just pressing by 1 key at one time , do you play monophonicly or polyphonicly?

you can use voices for layering, polyphony , panning etc., for anything. you got 8 synths in one with Dune 3 :D
fegyo
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:49 pm

fegyo wrote:If you edit voices separately, it's very easy to get lost which voice you edit now :)

No,it's not "easy to get lost". The Button that is lit up on the Voice Edit line is the voice being edited. A simple glance tells you which voice is being edited (or All).

fegyo wrote:polyphony its a similar issue. Make 8 copies and you get 128 voices not only 24 :)

Try this:

Initialize a Patch and leave Polyphony at 4
Play a single note and look at the Active Voices readout. 1 out of 4. Play 4 notes it reads 4/4
Increase the voice AMT to 8 but leave Poly at 4.
Play a single note and look at the Active Voices readout again. 8 out of 32. Play 4 notes it reads 32/32

So either way you only get a maximum of 4 notes at one time (at 4 note poly, more if you increase polyphony)

Like Kriminal said "voices does not equal note polyphony". :wink:

fegyo wrote:who said? if you play two monophonic sounds just pressing by 1 key at one time , do you play monophonicly or polyphonicly?

You're still playing monophonically if you set Poly to Mono or Legato even if you're using all 8 layers. But if you use more than one Layer each set to it's own sound technically you now have a multi-timbral sound. But you can still only play one note.....monophonic.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 pm

fegyo wrote:who said? if you play two monophonic sounds just pressing by 1 key at one time , do you play monophonicly or polyphonicly?

how many notes are you playing?

its self explanatory
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby fegyo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 am

Kriminal wrote:how many notes are you playing?

max 10

24 notes means you use 20 fingers, nose, mouth and 2 elbows :D

the right way is to make richer 1 note sound.
fegyo
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:33 am

fegyo wrote:
Kriminal wrote:how many notes are you playing?

max 10

24 notes means you use 20 fingers, nose, mouth and 2 elbows :D

the right way is to make richer 1 note sound.

yeah, OK.... but with 16 note polyphony, you can run out of polyphony with long release times etc....

im not sure you fully understand how a synth works...
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby fegyo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am

Teksonik,
AMT controls how many voices are active. I didnt mean you have to use only identical copies of voices . If you want to play octave for example, make copy of voice , increase pitch by 12 cents only on copied voice and you got the same result playing just one note.

Adding 1 harmonic frequency to generator means the same as playing octave.
fegyo
Novice

Postby fegyo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Kriminal wrote: but with 16 note polyphony, you can run out of polyphony with long release times etc....

and what prevents you from applying long release time on one note?
fegyo
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:53 pm

wtf are you talking about? :roll:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby digitalboytn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 pm

I know what I'm talking about and it's not that complicated :)

I would like DUNE 3 to have total of 24 voices of polyphony and I would like to be able to independently assign each oscillator to a separate filter and then choose to run those filters in parallel or in series...

Make the filter assignment in DUNE 3 similar to what happens in Thorn...that would make much better use of the dual filters....

So how about it ? Is that possible please ? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to me...
digitalboytn
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm

notes, not voices, and 32 would be preferable :wink:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:27 pm

fegyo wrote:Teksonik,
AMT controls how many voices are active. I didnt mean you have to use only identical copies of voices . If you want to play octave for example, make copy of voice , increase pitch by 12 cents only on copied voice and you got the same result playing just one note.

Adding 1 harmonic frequency to generator means the same as playing octave.

I've been using Dune since version 1 and have programmed hundreds of patches for it.

I am trying to explain to you how Polyphony works in Dune 3 since what you said earlier is incorrect.

I don't care if you program the layers to produce a chord you can still only play four notes on your keyboard at a time at 4 voice poly. Increasing the number of Voices doesn't increase the Polyphony which is why several people including the OP in this thread have asked for poly to be bumped up.

What you're describing is not Polyphony. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 pm

digitalboytn wrote:I would like DUNE 3 to have total of 24 voices of polyphony

I'd like to see 32.

digitalboytn wrote:and I would like to be able to independently assign each oscillator to a separate filter and then choose to run those filters in parallel or in series.

You're not the first person to ask for this but so far it has not been implemented. Who knows what the future holds but until (if) the feature is implemented you can just simply use another Layer (Voice).

digitalboytn wrote:It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to me...

The thing is when we make a request we don't know if it's going to take a few lines of code or a few months of coding. All we can do is make our requests and hope for the best. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)