most of vst plugins failing

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

most of vst plugins failing

Postby toneman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:31 pm

!hi everyone.

before asking this, i searched the forum and did what was suggested without much satisfying results.
so,
almost no plugins (all legitimately free) added to vst folder are recognized, however almost all (except few) from those those showing up are failing to load. for example dblue Glitch v1.3 is recognized, but shows "could not open plugin (0)" after launching, same as others.
what was done, but did not work:
1. Orion 8 v8.0.2.x86.x64 was installed as usual, but after reading here was reinstalled, as suggested outside system files folder, vst path set as requested.
2. program was set to run as administrator, the same with plugchecker. also the boxes were checked for compatibility with windows7
3. vstcfg file was updated as suggested and plugin rescan box checked

Atlantis https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/atlantis/ is recognized, but stops every time after playing the basic 16 bars 1,5times.

what can be done to make it work?
toneman
Novice

Re: most of vst plugins failing

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:06 am

Make sure you're not trying to load 32 bit plugins into the 64 bit version of Orion.

I just installed Orion again and all the plugins on this system show up and function. (Win 10 64 Bit, Orion and all plugins 64 bit)

Where did you install Orion "outside system files folder" ?

Mine is installed in D: Program Files (x86). But the preset and song folders were installed into C: Documents by default.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby toneman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:49 am

vstcfg.txt file was updated for every plugin. and i was carefully checking for 64bit versions, perhaps there could be by accident one or two 32bit, but certainly not more than that. at the moment there are 20 working plugins versus 90 not showing up via insert. the working/nonworking proportion between those which needed installation and just dll files for copying into vst folder is approx equal. i would delete most of them after trying out anyway, but that doesn't fix the current situation.
i created a folder next to program files (x86) in which instaled orion in a separate subfolder and in another one all the vst plugins. everything works same as in previous "not recommended for windows 7" version.
regarding atlantis, i just didn't notice cpu overload, it's quite hungry synth, and there are several other progs running parallel to orion, will try this one again in less digitally busy week.
Last edited by toneman on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
toneman
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 am

Try installing Orion in Program Files (x86). That's where it has always been located. Your VST plugins can be anywhere as long as you point Orion to them in the VST Paths section.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ufo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:30 am

Hey man

you need to look into what version visial C++ studio you have

a lot of old vsti want the 2010 and 2o17 versions.
you dont get any of this cool shit with with win 8.1 or win10pro so you will need to get it yourself.
good luck and enjoy all those old free vsts

Peace luv and aciiiiiid
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:57 pm

toneman wrote: for example dblue Glitch v1.3 is recognized, but shows "could not open plugin (0)" after launching

Looks like dBlue Glitch 1.3 is 32 bit only.

toneman wrote:Atlantis https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/atlantis/ is recognized, but stops every time after playing the basic 16 bars 1,5times.

It works fine here.

ufo wrote:you dont get any of this cool shit with with win 8.1 or win10pro so you will need to get it yourself.
good luck and enjoy all those old free vsts

Sounds like he's using Windows 7.

toneman wrote:the boxes were checked for compatibility with windows7
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:07 pm

there was a win8.1?

never heard of it....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Yes I had an old laptop that came with 8 then it updated to 8.1

Weren't the later versions of Orion developed mainly on Windows 7 except for maybe right near the end ?

I think most of us had Orion running on Win 7 at some point and Win 10 now. I think the OP just over thought it and borked the install.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 am

I'm on Win7 still
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby ufo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am

yeah they fucked up and left a lot of stuff out of 8. I cant remember if it was the 8 or 8.1 but some dickhead forgot to pack the
core MIDI and pro studios across usa and euro shit themselves.
typical computer nerds.

I had this problem when i updated from win 7 pro to win 8.1 pro and it turned out to be those C++ redist.

I think when I upgraded my discovery pro and it failed to load led me to installing the second one (2017 version)

Old vsts you know.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby toneman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 pm

!thanks for responses, everyone, highly appreciated.
Looks like dBlue Glitch 1.3 is 32 bit only.

true! my bad.

a lot of old vsti want the 2010 and 2o17 versions.
you dont get any of this cool shit with with win 8.1 or win10pro so you will need to get it yourself.

yes, i'm still on windows7.

spent few days/nights trying out lots of different plugins. reinstalling the orion back again in default folder didn't bring any changes, those vsts not working still won't - 'could not open plugin (0)'. here is a list of all vsts getting that message from orion

and here are those working correctly

too much good ones won't work :(
maybe from those lists someone can figure out the corelations between working and nonworking stuff. there might be few 32bit vsts, because sometimes there was no info on that and i just rolled the dice.
two caused orion crashing on startup:
t force alpha plus
and unfortunately indeed
YoozBL303

also, orion did not see following:
AfterShockDelay
BIGREV
BRAKEBACK MANGLER

anything made by WOK
and strangely enough a handful of classical MDA vsts
toneman
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:57 pm

toneman wrote: here is a list of all vsts getting that message from orion

Aren't almost all of those 32 Bit ? They're all older plugins. :?

But development of Orion stopped about 5 years ago if I remember correctly so old plugins should not be an issue.

Notice many of the ones that do work have the x64 tag.

Try running the 32 Bit Version of Orion with 32 bit plugins. It doesn't have a Bit Bridge. Also make sure you're not using VST3 plugins. Orion won't load them. :wink:

EDIT: I notice HY Poly free x 64 is listed as not working or at least the folder says x64. The 64 bit version works in Orion 64 bit here:

Orion 082420-1.png

A1Triggergate x64 works here as well but it's an Effect not an instrument so try changing that in the vstgfg.txt file. I imagine the same is true for A1 StereoControlx64 as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:12 pm

try adding the dll names to the vst.cfg file
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Yup. I Believe all of those you listed are 32-bit plugins, save for those 2 A1 plugins labeled with x64 (might want to redownload those and try again). 100% sure Classic, mda, dblue, and DSK ones are. You can use them with 32-bit version of Orion. It's labeled just "Orion" in Start menu. Orion64 is 64-bit version.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:15 am

I downloaded the A1 trigger gate earlier and it works just fine but like I said it's an effect. Maybe he's got it set to "1" in the vstconfig file but it's not even listed in the text file here.

Looking at the vstcfg.txt file is a blast from the past. Plugins like the JX220 and JunoX2. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)