missing samples

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

missing samples

Postby Icaro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 pm

when you load an old .sfs file that says missing samples, and Orion only finds half the samples when you redirect it, how do you tell which are the samples that are still missing?
Icaro
Professional

missing samples

Postby Vicious_Angel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm

You propably renamed-moved them.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

missing samples

Postby Kriminal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:56 pm

save the song again and then open, you will then see what samples are still missing...keep doing this till you find all the samples
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

missing samples

Postby Icaro » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm

well, yes that does work. Let me put the question a little different then.

Someone posted a .sfs file a little bit ago, and it didn't include all of the samples, because as he said, it would make the file way to big. Also, this case is bound to come up from time to time. Or maybe for instance, someone has a really old .sfs file with samples that are gone for some reason. Whatever the case, the song includes samples that are completely missing, or have never been on the hard drive. How does one tell which samples are missing from the drum rack or sampler, without having to write it down on paper, and check through the drumrack or sampler for the coresponding sample name. If this is not yet possible, maybe it would be nice if the missing samples fonts showed up in red in the generator.
Icaro
Professional

missing samples

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:19 pm

its really down to the user to

A- bundle all samples (then you will never have missing samples)

B- Keep you samples in the same path
Kriminal
Immortal

missing samples

Postby Icaro » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:05 pm

you don't see any use for being able to tell which sample is missing?

I mean, I'm pretty good at keeping everything in order, but that madhatter.sfs that was posted by another user, got me to thinking that instead of waiting for this guy to upload samples, it would be easier to just open drumrack, see which sample names are in red, and replace them.
Icaro
Professional

missing samples

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:24 pm

If the user/creator was good at the naming convention, you could easily substitute. IE; 'Cannot Find Clank SD, Blasto BD, Snappy HH' - you would know to tey and find a clanky like snare, a big boomy BD, and crisp HH. But if the naming convention is just '1234.wav, 5678.wav, Sucko.wav', your guess is as good as anyones then. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

missing samples

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Icaro wrote:you don't see any use for being able to tell which sample is missing?

not really, cos i dont have that problem...but i guess its useful for ppl who share files and are too lazy to bundle them
Kriminal
Immortal

missing samples

Postby Icaro » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:If the user/creator was good at the naming convention, you could easily substitute. IE; 'Cannot Find Clank SD, Blasto BD, Snappy HH' - you would know to tey and find a clanky like snare, a big boomy BD, and crisp HH. But if the naming convention is just '1234.wav, 5678.wav, Sucko.wav', your guess is as good as anyones then. ;)

yes, exactly..... but you still have to write down the missing sample names, because when the song is loaded, all the names appear as if the sample is present in the song.

Yes, yes, yes, I know about organizing evrything properly. I don't have this problem with my files either...... but when sharing files, it could come up. Also, what if when it might happen to pop up that my samples are missing, I remember 'oh, yes. I thought about finding new samples for this song anyways.', and I wanted to just find new samples for the drum-slots, but keep all the routing and fx etc..
Icaro
Professional

missing samples

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm

It is irksome to write and 'guesstimate' where these samples should go, that's true. But just looking at the grid should be a good indication. Makes me think back to the days of .MID files and tone generators and such. ;)

But yes, if someones going to upload something for mass consumption - they should damn well make it as easy for the end user as possible. (Now watch, it was something I contributed. ;) )
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

missing samples

Postby Icaro » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am

Dungeon Studio wrote:It is irksome to write and 'guesstimate' where these samples should go, that's true. But just looking at the grid should be a good indication. Makes me think back to the days of .MID files and tone generators and such. ;)

But yes, if someones going to upload something for mass consumption - they should damn well make it as easy for the end user as possible. (Now watch, it was something I contributed. ;) )

no, actually, you're safe on that one. ;)

I still think it could be a useful idea to have a list of missing samples somewhere within the song, or the idea I had about the off color font, etc. If it was a list, it could be a sample list, that's always there. Kind of like the generator list, with a discription of the location, and missing written just like how inactive shows up for generators that are not being used.
Icaro
Professional

missing samples

Postby Vicious_Angel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm

I think its easy programing wise to be in but at the other point i dont find no use for itbecause i use a hard drive for all my samples and i never lose something :P
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

missing samples

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Back to the good ol' car analogy - it's like a friend saying you can borrow their car as they run off to do other things. You open the door and realise they never gave you the keys! And no one, including the garage nearby is going to help make a set for you right there and then. Either 'hot wire' the car if you're clever enough, or track down your friend and say 'give me the keys bonehead!'.

Think of Orion as the 'garage' there Icaro. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

missing samples

Postby bones » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:57 pm

As Icaro says, it's more about when you are working with other people's files. it is quite a job for us trying to maintain similar sample archives so that when my band-mate sends me something I can open it OK. Bundling is not an elegant solution as you end up with large song files and often you think you have certain samples that you don;t really.
It is definitely something that could be done more elegantly than it is currently. Again I would defer to the way 3DS Max handles missing elements when you open a file. It gives you a list of missing things and the process is recursive, so you can keep finding bits until you have them all.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

missing samples

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:55 am

As much as I hate to say it - it might be better if DR had specific slots like the 909 then. BD, SD, HH, User 1, User 2 And whatevers missing from a download, you could immediately see BD gone OHH gone, User 4 gone.

The bundling I agree, especially the samplers - 297MB for a simple little pop tune of mine! DR at least isn't as bad with small one shots usually. But it's like combing the world for these .SF2's now - some are really good, some are defiantely unusual, and a lot are really amateur crap I feel I need payback with. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Return to Music & Stuff