orion is $99 wtf?

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby suneel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm

i mean come on $99? shit its much more than that. it should be repriced to $200 at least.
suneel
Guru

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm

You sure that isn't Orion Pro? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Daaaaaamn! :schock:

Just don't look for 'the union label' on it. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Lance » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:18 pm

That's the right price, it shouldn't be higher anytime soon.
Lance
Guru

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby bones » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:19 pm

It was supposed to just be a 3 week Xmas special but it seems to have generated a lot of interest and new users, so why not? The forum is much busier than it has ever been at any time since it moved to this server/format so it's seems to be doing the trick.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby epilogue » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Just hope it's not being sold short. Granted, it's software of this quality at this kind of price point that can really shake some business up. And now that it's download-only, a high adoption rate could really work out in the long run.
Phreque.com - Weapons-Grade Awesome.
epilogue
Elite Producer

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 am

I know looking at all the high-priced 'others' long ago, it looked great they did all this stuff, and could connect to all this other stuff, and could turn itself inside out and had all these cool colors and stuff. But then I thought 'I just want to make a friggin' song, not fly a space shuttle!' So that's what attracted me to Orion. Straightfoward, simple, gets the goods done quick. But then when I learned I could connect to this, or copy to that, or turn something inside out and just go ballistic with Orion.... Well everything else seemed like real chumps then. ;)

A $775 hooker in a $650 a night hotel room in Vegas during January... Or a $20 BJ in a $15 Motel 6 outside of Cleveland in June? I'd rather get my rocks off AND save money! ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby kuniklo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:21 am

I have to admit that it was the low price that convinced me to try it. I guess some people might assume that a $99 host isn't worth their time but I'm glad I took the plunge. There are certainly some things I miss from other hosts but in a lot of cases I'm finding other ways of doing the same things.
kuniklo
Novice

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:28 am

I really think more effort should be made to advertise this deal. It really is a steal at $99. Perhaps a thread in the Marketplace at KVR.....or not?
Teksonik
Godlike

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby bones » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 am

kuniklo wrote:There are certainly some things I miss from other hosts but in a lot of cases I'm finding other ways of doing the same things.

I wish more people were as patient. Too many people get to used to doing things a certain way and when it doesn't work in another application, they don;t take the time to find another way.
I suppose a lot of people are too used to be spoon-fed that it never occurs to them to find their own solutions to anything. You see it here all the time when someone flat-out says you can't do something, where others might simply ask how to do it in this environment. That's why I gave up on that stupid thread at KVR - most FLS users equate features with functionality, never stopping to understand that most things can be done several ways using other, existing features, often with little or no extra effort.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:24 am

The effort that has to go into Garageband... For loops even! Say what you will about OP's Audio Track, but it's SO much easier to handle. And lord help me if I have to add my own riffs and stuff to GB. Some cool sounds and effects on it, but will never understand the people that can use and work it easily. What's the other one - Reason? Things that should be right up my alley chopping and plopping loops. I just find Orion more unique after the work. It doesn't work like the rest - but then it doesn't sound like the rest either. ;)

Good from an artistic standpoint, bad if you're an A&R rep pinning your hopes on the next Moby like hit form a OP user. :cool:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby suneel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:44 am

kuniklo wrote:I have to admit that it was the low price that convinced me to try it
i guess your different but most ppl would think the other way. thats the thing that pisses me off. look at cubase5 its $499, sonar is around at $400. comparing that to $99, can be very misleading of orions abilities.
suneel
Guru

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby D-Fusion » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:16 am

suneel wrote:
kuniklo wrote:I have to admit that it was the low price that convinced me to try it
i guess your different but most ppl would think the other way. thats the thing that pisses me off. look at cubase5 its $499, sonar is around at $400. comparing that to $99, can be very misleading of orions abilities.

That is not true suneel.

The Hobbyist market is bigger than the Pro market and the most important for a software is not the price but how much people talks about it :D

Look how popular Synth1 is and it costs nothing + it has no marketing except for the word on the streets ;)
Last edited by D-Fusion on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
D-Fusion
Regular

orion is $99 wtf?

Postby suneel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:22 am

D-Fusion wrote:Look how popular Synth1 is and it costs nothing + it has no marketing except for the word on the streets ;)
synth1 is free, orion is not. if orion where free it would be a different thing.

D-Fusion wrote:The Hobbyist market is bigger than the Pro market and the most important for a software is not the price but how much people talks about it :D
thats the thing. who talks about orion? more ppl know cubase, sonar, logic compared to orion. forget that, look at the controller market. novation have these templates that are designed to work with cubase, logic pro etc, but there is no template for orion and not corp has made an effort to include something exclusively for orion why? cause it is not popular or its not big enough to cause heads to swing. so by making it 99$ you are accepting the fact that in order to make it popular you need to reduce the price aka word on the street not happening, while at the same time stienberg dishes out cubase at a ridiculous $500 ? where is the logic in this? you could say you dont care, but that sends out signals, like "oh orion yeah its cool, nice, sweet, good for initial arrangement and ideas or loop based stuff, but for serious work i use xyz".
suneel
Guru

Next

Return to Music & Stuff