New system - Orion Crashing!

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Marcin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

@Hypna, I forgot to say that sound driver doesn't causes any problems in this case.

I have been trying three different sound cards and many many different drivers and versions of those drivers (ASIO, WDM). Even with integrated sound card there were problems.

Second - graphics card. Also there were no probs (also tested with many differend drivers versions and even without specified drivers installed).

After everything of that and Kat's crashes it still seems to XP and Intel's processor.
Last edited by Marcin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:04 pm

You are excluding other things, like chipset drivers, other installed software, etc.

I'll have my brother read this when he comes back. He does this sort of things for a living. Or a friend of mine that work in a computer shop/service department. They love to solve computer issues. Maybe they can think of a reason what might be causing problems.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:You are excluding other things, like chipset drivers, other installed software, etc..

Believe me, I didn't excluded that.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm

I asked my brother to read Kat's first post and maybe answer what might be the cause of it. His best guess are numbered 1 and 2, with high possibility for 3.

1. Power Supply Unit (PSU) - possibility that some device will draw more power upon its initiation (starting Orion and loading ASIO drivers will start the soundcard causing more power drain, for example). There's been a lot of issues reported, and replacing PSU solved even those you would never think that might be the cause. Ideally, try with UPS as well.

2. Hard Drive - can cause a lot of grief. Unfortunatelly, no reliable way to test it except placing another hard drive and running the system from it, and the only solution is replacement.

3. Display drivers - This one is interesting. As intro-one said, he had already tried with different versions. Hard to tell, really.
For Nvidia graphic cards owners, there might be a solution. Download drivers from Nvidia UK site. Their drivers are significantly larger in size over the ones on Nvidia USA server, and they do solve certain issues.

Also, this is worth looking into:
Memory - faulty memory module will hang computer pretty randomly, but in most cases it will show in a form of bad/corrupted files.

Almost anything can cause problems on a computer. It came as a complete shock to learn what issues with a USB mouse can do. ;)
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 am

Interesting things, nothing new for me. But nothing of above it was for mine. Why?
1. Power is OK (even if not, then now I schould also have probs, but I don't have.
2. Hard Drive - is OK, been checking long time by two spearate apps.
3. Display drivers - seems to be possible, but I don't know (Kat has other graphics than me, mine is Intel's)
4. Memory ... checked about five times by memtest, nothing bad.

Yes, almost anything can cause problems. Yes, even USB mouse. I had some time blue screens very very randomly becouse of mouse.

@Kat - answer for my question: Can You tell me, does after crash Your CPU is very hot and cooler works as fast as it can?
Last edited by Marcin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby Kat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

I have tested the memory and hard drives. I do not expect it to be the PSU as the power never actually cuts off!

I have an Intel onboard graphics.

@ intro - CPU is not hot. Fan running normally.

After reading a few websites I have decided to install XP 64, I think there are driver issues with standard XP and the Core 2 Duo. Maybe it can not utilise all 4 cores succesfully, CPU reaches 25% and decides to stop working.

I need to buy the new version of Orion now and test that, I am hoping there are new versions of 64 bit VSTs out there otherwise I am stuffed! I can not afford that many instruments.

Anyway I will keep you posted, thanks for the help so far!!! Peace
Last edited by Kat on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am

Kat wrote:I need to buy the new version of Orion now and test that, I am hoping there are cracked versions of 64 bit VSTs out there otherwise I am stuffed! I can not afford that many instruments.

32 bit Orion works just fine on 64 bit OS.....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Kat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:00 pm

I have just brought it now, too late! Do you know if I will have problems using my old VSTs in the new sequencer?
Kat
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm

-intro-one- wrote:Interesting things, nothing new for me. But nothing of above it was for mine. Why?
1. Power is OK (even if not, then now I schould also have probs, but I don't have.
2. Hard Drive - is OK, been checking long time by two spearate apps.
3. Display drivers - seems to be possible, but I don't know (Kat has other graphics than me, mine is Intel's)
4. Memory ... checked about five times by memtest, nothing bad.

Because I didn't know any of your computer's specs.
1. Vista's and XP's power management seems to work differently. My brother had some power lines issues in his room, and XP kept poping out BSODs, while Vista at fist kept rebooting, but then worked fine. Now he has Chieftec 400W PSU, never have any issues anymore.
3. Integrated? Ever tried with some other graphic card?

Kat wrote:I have tested the memory and hard drives. I do not expect it to be the PSU as the power never actually cuts off!

I have an Intel onboard graphics.

Power doesn't have to cut off, it manifests itself in different ways. If it cut off the power, it would shut your computer down entirely, but it usually doesn't do that. It would either produce BSODs or simply reboot your computer whenever you do some specific operation. For instance, running a game makes the graphic draw slightly more power, and if there isn't enough, it will do one thing mentioned.

I had issues when I upgraded my computer, big ones. I got AMD X2 3600+ @ 2GHz, Biostar MCP6P-M2 motherboard with integrated Nvidia 6150 graphics, 1GB DDR2 @ 667Mhz, and was using my old Maxtor 80GB hard drive and 300W PSU (wich had a max load of 175W or so). It would just reboot completelly random every time I would od something. No warning, no nothing, just poof. Then I got a new hard drive WDC 320GB SATA2 (and I still have that Maxtor 80GB in it), additional 1GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz, and Gainward Nvidia 7600GS (had to take out my Creative Live cause of it though, cause it takes up two slots) and Chieftec 360W (max load 360W)... haven't had a single crash or reboot since, and my computer now can run for days and days without a single restart. And I still haven't got the clue till this day what was wrong with it. I was suspecting hard drive even though all stress tests showed it was fine, which it was and still is running normally. I guess it just wasn't good enough. :hihi:

Unfortunatelly, switch to 64-bit Orion won't be so smooth. There still aren't 64-bit versions of plugins on the market.

I have just brought it now, too late! Do you know if I will have problems using my old VSTs in the new sequencer?

32-bit VSTs don't work in Orion64.
But with the purchase, I think you should get both Orion32 and Orion64.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes, by purchasing Orion you get the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

The SynthPack also includes both 32- and 64-bit editions now (Windows).

Furthermore, crossgrades from Mac to PC and vice versa are free.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 am

FYI - I have now installed Windows XP 64 and am running dual-boot set-up (XP64 & XP32). The 64-bit version of Windows seems to run the 32-bit version of Orion perfectly and it has not crashed Windows yet. Although Orion itself has crashed, but I am not sure if this is because of drivers or VSTs, probably the latter.

There is not much support for 64-bit VSTs at the moment so I am not using the 64-bit version of Orion.

I know there is not much support for XP 64-bit but if you are willing to try out a dual boot I would highly recommend it. XP 64 is quick, stable and makes my machine run like a beast, it is a shame the developers never supported it. Look for the 'Superior XP 64' , this includes the latest updates, beware it does not support a lot of hardware.

Thanks for the help, peace
Last edited by Kat on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat
Novice

Postby T-Breaks » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 am

is your random crash issue gone now?

XP x64 is a great OS, also for Orion, I use it for more than a year now on my main production PC.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am

Edited in response to Kat's edit .
Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Postby Kat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:25 pm

@ mark - yes, that was a bit daft, edited the post.

@ t-breaks - I love it, has taken a while to set-up and my wireless belkin card won work but I use XP for that instead. The crash issue has not gone entirely but Windows does not crash (only orion now, VSTs or drivers?!) and it does seem more stable, I need to test it properly.
Kat
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:48 pm

I've been running XP64 at work for about 3/4 years now. It's rock solid. I don't remember ever having a BSOD. Orion goes like the proverbial stuff off a shovel.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Bug Reports