Side chain Gate - fast and easy

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby draft_730 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, i dont know if this is old news to some/most of u, i post it regardless :),
Sc gate can be very fun to make voices/pads have a rhythm, or do what ever u want, heres the fastest way:

1- insert the sc gate on the pad / voice channel u want

2- insert a drumrack that is EMPTY and set the sc gate module to recive midi from this DR generator
IGNORE the side chain option in the sc-gate module, instead set it to recive midi from generator (opions-recive midi from)

3- make patterns in the EMPTY drumrack piano roll and play the petterns together with the generator that has the sc gate sitting on it

the gate effect is extremely precise like hat, if u draw long notes the gate will hold exactly that long, if u make very short nots they are accurate as they can be
and ther is no audio signal involved for the gating
and it takes literaly 10 seconds to set it up with the empty DR
i just love it
cheers
draft_730
Regular

Postby matthy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:04 pm

indeed i used it for my track it gets that wonderfull mainstream swoooshhh effect in the rithm of the beat.

its a sort of sidechain compression but then again still different ;)
Did You Know you can download my albums on 1albums.com :cool: and you can promote your own there to ;)
http://www.myspace.com/djmatthy
matthy
Apprentice

Postby JavierRubio » Fri May 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Nice one, total control!
JavierRubio
Regular

Return to Tips'n'tricks