Stereo widener knob

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Stereo widener knob

Postby Fred_V » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Mod edit: Some stuff about wanting a stereo widener knob on the main mixer.
Last edited by Fred_V on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fred_V
Novice

Re: A stereo widener knob

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 pm

When everyone is trying to bring the size of the mixer strip down, you seek to expand it. Frankly, I even find placing a low cut filter fixed to a certain frequency more usable than this. With widener effect, you need more control than a single knob can provide.

And why do you keep mentioning this Eveyata Wider Boy Pro??? Wth is it anyway?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby bones » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Stereo widening is an effect that can be achieved in different ways, either by delaying one channel (which is how this would have to be done) or inverting it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to include it in the Mixer, it is much better left to an effect like kILL-O-RAMA.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Fred_V » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:17 am

Last edited by Fred_V on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred_V
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:42 am

Fred_V wrote:The width effect should be able to be increased or reduced. Not just a short delay on one channel.

You're missing the point. What you said exactly means that it's not something you can do with just one knob. Even that "wonder Boy or whatever" has many controls to utilize the full usefulness of the effect.
Everybody has different needs when it comes to useful tools. For my part, it would be a welcome feature.

And you already have that. It's presented in a form of an insert slot ;)
I would rather have a thinner strip than a shorter one.

And I'd rather have both, so we can do this all night.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Fred_V » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:07 am

Last edited by Fred_V on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred_V
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:12 am

If you say so.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby V/M » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 am

Stereo-Widening is not something used frequently enough to be included on every channel strip. and even then, bones sums up a another reason for not doing it. There are a variety of techniques for increasing stereo width, each with a unique flavor. And most of them cannot be reduced to a single knob.

If a knob was added for adjusting stereo width to the channel strip, it would make more sense to have it reduce the stereo width (which could be simply achieved by individually panning the Left and Right) but we already have a nice effect packaged with Orion, and it doesn't need to be on every channel strip.
V/M
Professional

Postby ufo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:26 pm

We had a stereo widening effect in previous versions, it was dropped with the advent of version 8.00.
I think it is still available from old projects via template system if you want to use it.

Cheers
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Try experimenting with the new StereoFX holder. Stick an unit delay on one of the channels of about 10-30 ms and you'll get a nice stereo widen effect.

If you want some control over the width then stick a MultiFX holder in to one of the channels of the StereoFX and then add a unit delay in to slot #1. Have the MultiFX in parallel mode. Move the 2D controller around to change the amount of effect.

Want to get really funky? Stick in unit delays set to different amounts in each slot of the MultiFX and now play with the 2D controller. Or stick a low pass filter after the unit delay and get a Haas type effect.
Mark

Return to Wishlist