DUNE for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Postby johwil » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 am

Hi,

Please consider a DUNE version as an .app for iOS handhelds.

I, and many many with me, would love it.

/John
johwil
Novice

Re: DUNE for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 am

Why not Android, or Windows Mobile 7?

And just out of curiosity, what exactly would you do with only an instrument?
It kind of sounds like tinkering just for fun of it.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am

johwil wrote: I, and many many with me, would love it.

Yes but would you pay for it? I don't own any iOS devices but judging by the people I know who do own them piracy is rampant in the iToy world........I don't think they pay for anything......... :roll:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Teksonik wrote:

Yes but would you pay for it? I don't own any iOS devices but judging by the people I know who do own them piracy is rampant in the iToy world........I don't think they pay for anything......... :roll:

These My personal experience with the Istuff world:
I own:Nanostudio,Beatmaker,Ivoxel,Thumbjam,Morphwiz and FLstudio just to say,and I paid for all those apps.
I think piracy it's ubiquitus :wink:
Andy-b
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Andy-b wrote:I think piracy it's ubiquitus :wink:

True but I get the impression from listening to the iOS guys at work that pirating .apps is much easier than pirating full PC software. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. Like I said I don't think they pay for anything..........just an observation. Seems silly since the apps appear cheap as chips......

As for DUNE not sure if a Smart Phone could handle it but I wouldn't be opposed to Synapse releasing an iOS version for the iPad.....if it would be a profitable venture....worth their time....which I guess was my main point.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Andy-b wrote:I think piracy it's ubiquitus :wink:

True but I get the impression from listening to the iOS guys at work that pirating .apps is much easier than pirating full PC software. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. Like I said I don't think they pay for anything..........just an observation. Seems silly since the apps appear cheap as chips......

As for DUNE not sure if a Smart Phone could handle it but I wouldn't be opposed to Synapse releasing an iOS version for the iPad.....if it would be a profitable venture....worth their time....which I guess was my main point.....

I agree with you,sadly a lot of Istuff it's cracked,and a lot of PC/MAC too (try to google Native Instruments and first results almost of the time are warez sites :roll: )
Back to Istuff,I think the devices aren't enought mature to replace a PC/MAC envitronment,most of the apps are good for some live playng and/or take some musical scratch notes on the way.
I think Only Nanostudio it's on the right way (IMHO an Orion style daw for Idevice) :D
Back to "IDune" I don't think it's a must have in the near future,and thinking about the average price of Istuff of these kind it's like to undervalue a great VSTi :wink:

Maybe I will be happy if Richard someday made a VST version of some Orion FX ....
Andy-b
Regular

Postby johwil » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Teksonik wrote:

Yes but would you pay for it?

I would just play with it, and most certainly pay for it.

The ideal would be to have DUNE on my iPhone run with an onboard sequencer! But i, for one, would most certainly love to just test out sounds for later use on my PC:ed version of DUNE:
Last edited by johwil on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johwil
Novice

Postby ufo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 am

most of my Dune patches try to destroy my system.
Do you think the i device would rupture with a D U N E throb running through its lil speaker?

just a thought.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby ooddaa » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Teksonik wrote:

Piracy is the least of a dev's problems. First, you must go through the iApp obstacle course and hope that all that work will get the Steve Jobs stamp of approval. The situation on Android is marginally better, but its a transition from Pyongyang, NK to Deadwood, SD. Either way, you'll probably end up dead before the pirates get to you.

I helped a friend develop an app for iOS and his experience with Apple was not pleasant, to say the least. He attempted to port it to Android, but gave up trying to get it to work consistantly on the two devices he had access to.
ooddaa
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am

Well ok then it's the least of his problems.....until he get's an app actually released....then I imagine it becomes a major problem if he wants to make money...........

So judging by what you're saying it's not even worth it for a PC/Mac developer to spend any time on iToy apps.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby johwil » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Teksonik wrote:So judging by what you're saying it's not even worth it for a PC/Mac developer to spend any time on iToy apps.....

But the market is so much larger.... I would be most baffled if, inspite of the low price ($10?) a developper will make per each appStore purches; it's proven nOT worth while.... and please make it suport the Akai SynthStation25.

/John
johwil
Novice

Postby johwil » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:31 pm

ufo wrote:most of my Dune patches try to destroy my system.
Do you think the i device would rupture with a D U N E throb running through its lil speaker?

Yes why not! And also like NanoStudio, MusicStudio, SynthStatioin and Xenon support the MIDI Ketbord Akai SynthStation25!
johwil
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:20 pm

johwil wrote:
Teksonik wrote:So judging by what you're saying it's not even worth it for a PC/Mac developer to spend any time on iToy apps.....

But the market is so much larger.... I would be most baffled if, inspite of the low price ($10?) a developper will make per each appStore purches; it's proven nOT worth while.... and please make it suport the Akai SynthStation25.

/John

You're looking at the market as a whole. That would be like evaluating the market potential for iPhone by looking at how many people are using mobile/cell devices, while not everyone is looking to buy an iPhone.
If you're going to evaluate the market potential for DUNE, look at how many people actually buy audio software from the Apple store. Impossible to say, but I'm willing to bet the market prospect wouldn't be too high. You'll sell a few hundreds (if even that), and that's it. Plus, who would want to lower their price over ten times?

What would you hope do with a synth on iPhone anyway? Without a means to sequence it and save it for possible transfer into your host, there really is no point. Might be a good fun for a while on the train, I guess.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby johwil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:43 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
johwil wrote:

What would you hope do with a synth on iPhone anyway? Without a means to sequence it and save it for possible transfer into your host, there really is no point. Might be a good fun for a while on the train, I guess.

This is only me, I don't know of anyone that plays with his/hers apps as I do, but when on the metro, or a bus, if there were a DUNE app for the iPhone, I could just playing around with it, testing out different sound settings. If the DUNE4iOS app would support the Akai MIDI keyboard SynthStation25 you might via the MIDI channels and real speakers actually run the DUNE4iOS as it is. The absolute heaven would be DUNE with a sepuenser, save as .wav, and MIDI, and on top of everything: MIDI support compatible with Akai SynthStation25!
johwil
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

So, basically just tinkering about with it, not meant for any real work, even with that MIDI controller. The reviews and presentations I've seen on YT about combining iPhone and AKAI controller it looked more like a toy to me, to be honest - for fun and giggles, nothing more.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Next

Return to Wishlist