Export-Filenames, Toggle *orion*

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Export-Filenames, Toggle *orion*

Postby Atarax » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd like to have the files named after the channel names (and if you export separate audiofiles for instruments, i'd like to have the generator's name as filename).
There's no "freeze" function is there? If so i have missed it.. :) If you export maybe 15 channels it's kind of a pain to rename them (especially since you cant F2 but have to rightclick and click the rename..)

When toggling a generator to the pianoroll, it's ALWAYS maximized so my poor hands have to reach for the top bar and doubleclick it to get it back to a, for me more userfriendly, format. Im on dual 1920*1280 so it gets big :?. Could there be an option for this somewhere maybe?

That's it for now! :lol: I love this host :oops: :D
Atarax
Novice

Re: Export-Filenames, Toggle *orion*

Postby DaZoid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Atarax wrote:I'd like to have the files named after the channel names (and if you export separate audiofiles for instruments, i'd like to have the generator's name as filename).
There's no "freeze" function is there? If so i have missed it.. :) If you export maybe 15 channels it's kind of a pain to rename them (especially since you cant F2 but have to rightclick and click the rename..)

When toggling a generator to the pianoroll, it's ALWAYS maximized so my poor hands have to reach for the top bar and doubleclick it to get it back to a, for me more userfriendly, format. Im on dual 1920*1280 so it gets big :?. Could there be an option for this somewhere maybe?

That's it for now! :lol: I love this host :oops: :D

post now de-ruded! :lol: [Mod edit]Good man :D [/Mod edit]
1st of all! Name the seperate audio files after the instrument names is a fine idea and I support that.

2nd. If you really ask for such an old school freeze function which was a necessity in the middle ages, please rethink your production process and mixes.You can easily run 15 generators on an old machine if the mix is in balance.

Thanks!

Now go and learn. Make good music and have fun with Orion. It's a great piece of software. :D
Last edited by DaZoid on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Maybe some people can't afford a newer computer. Or maybe their track counts are far beyond yours? Did you ever stop to think their music might be many times more complex than yours? Anyway I've got a Quad Core and managed to take the public beta of Diva to 95% with a single instance so as computers grow so does the demand for CPU from top end plugins..........

People can't make a simple request on these forums without being jumped on and insulted and that reflects poorly on Orion and in my opinion is one of the reasons it remains a boutique app...........

Did you miss the part where he said "I Love this app" ?
Last edited by Teksonik on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Indeed, can we try to be a bit more polite with people's requests, please? It does create a bad impression and often drives new (and not so new) users away from the forum not to mention the guests that are browsing presumably thinking about whether or not to buy Orion.

Also, complaints about such responses could be toned down as well ;)

Any further posts on this thread should stick to helping the OP out otherwise the thread will be locked and offensive posts removed.
Mark

Postby mattox » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 am

Good suggestion for file names, as with freeze there is method to get that kind of functionality.

1. Put whatever synth pattern you want on the song arranger page, solo the channel (make sure you've got the loop points set, so you only stream out the part you want). File -> Stream to file.

2. Create an audio track, and add the new audio file (mute the synth track).

I'm pretty sure Orion turns off(disabled?) synths that are not being played, so they don't actually take up any processing power? Is that correct?

So it can be done, its just not automatic. I have to do it every now and then where I have too many DCAM Fusor instances in a project.
mattox
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 am

was that too rude? Sorry, was more ment to be a bit sarcastic pepped up with irony. SOrry Dude, didn't want to sound rude.
It's just that this topic was discussed million times before. So, I just thought that people would get the bottom line of the post. But as you only posted 23 times here, you might not have seen the posts before about freeze.

But as said. I support your first suggestion. But as said also, you don't really need a freeze function if your machine is not that old and your production skills are a bit more advanced.

Try this:
If you need to freeze your track because of machine capacity, try to figure out which instruments do not fit to each other in the mix as IMHO that is what crunshes down CPU power most, especially if you have heavy weight synths in your track like Minimonsta.

A track which is well in balance from a mixing perspective can easily run 20 or even 30 instruments with still having enough CPU capacity.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Christophe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 am

DaZoid wrote:was that too rude? Sorry, was more ment to be a bit sarcastic pepped up with irony.

i understood the humor at the first lecture !
thank you DaZoid :lol:
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby V/M » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:50 am

DaZoid wrote:If you need to freeze your track because of machine capacity, try to figure out which instruments do not fit to each other in the mix as IMHO that is what crunshes down CPU power most

I hesitate to accept what you're saying here. I believe that in your experience this is probably how things have worked out, but correlation does not equal causation. The relationship is probably more to do with a common cause than with the quality of the mix itself. I'm not saying your wrong, i just find it hard to believe.. It just doesn't seem to me that the processing would really care what stuff sounds like in a way that would affect CPU usage.
V/M
Professional

Postby Teksonik » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 am

DaZoid wrote:If you need to freeze your track because of machine capacity, try to figure out which instruments do not fit to each other in the mix as IMHO that is what crunshes down CPU power most, especially if you have heavy weight synths in your track like Minimonsta.

A track which is well in balance from a mixing perspective can easily run 20 or even 30 instruments with still having enough CPU capacity.

The "balance of the mix" has nothing to do with CPU demand whatsoever...........

DaZoid wrote:You can easily run 15 generators on an old machine if the mix is in balance.

Again an incorrect statement............the Mix has nothing to do with CPU demand........and which 15 generators? I'm sure you are aware that different plugins demand different levels of CPU? You could run 15 instances of DUNE but try running 15 instances of PolyAna...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby DaZoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Teksonic / VM,

I'm pretty sure it does correlate with the mix. The more generators you add playing in the same frequency bandwith, the more they influence each other and need to be processed in correlation. As the result of 2 frequencies lying in the same spectrum (have the same frequency) is a new frequency that results out of both (adding up or canceling out depending on the phase). This is a common physical law and is also valid for sound wave calculation and music production. As stated out, it also depends on the generator you use, of course. Dune clearly does not use as much CPU power than GeForce's Minimonsta. But: I can bring down Orion with only 2 instances of Minimonsta if I mix them in a certain way, whereas I can also play 10 instances of Minimonsta resulting in mid CPU load. Just try yourself.

I would be very interesting to get Rich's opinion on that. Not to make a point or proove someone wrong. But this is something I'm realizing for years now but never had clearity opinion from a programer point of view.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 pm

CPU demand is based on:

A. The number of notes played
B. The complexity of the patch being played.

Obviously a simple bass patch using a single Osc with no FX playing a single note will take far less CPU than a full featured Pad that uses all the Osc's and FX with long release times and playing a five note chord....

Could there be some added CPU demand from 2 instruments being in the same frequency domain? I suppose it's possible but it would be such a small difference as to not be noticeable........Certainly wouldn't effect the number of plugins you could use before the need to Freeze which is the subject of this thread...........

In all the years I've been using computers for composition I've never noticed any change in the CPU demand of a project based on the Mix...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Here's an experiment............

Take two instances of DUNE. Select the Alpha Glider RH patch on both. Enable the Mixer EQ and sweep the bands......boost, cut.........it doesn't effect the CPU demand at all........Same for the Mixer volume. Drive it all the way up or pull it back..............makes no difference to CPU demand.....

Ok I'm about to disconnect my temporary studio setup for a while to install sound proofing in my new room.....should be an adventure.......so I might be offline for some time.......do carry on......... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Freeze would be automatic export-import, and as such would save time and hassle.

Just because some of us can afford powerful PCs, it doesn't mean it's always enough and we always want realtime processing for every freaking CPU-hungry generators and effects. Using audio is much more power-efficient.

I have just replaced the common light bulbs (of 60-100W) to 9-11W power efficient ones with a little investment nearly in the whole house; and I get the same luminous power or better and it's a 'clearer' light, less 'redish'. I don't want to waste energy on my laptop and PC either, I wouln't like to use them on max power, it's not good for them, it's not good for the power consumption of my family, it's not good low latency either.

Some of you want to waste energy, I don't mind! But some of us want to save energy or can't afford to waste energy as much as you.

I guess it'll never happen for Orion, but my point is a freeze feature wouldn't be stupidity even in 2011 and after. Software synths and effects are getting more and more CPU-hungry too, they'll always try to exploit the available processing power for sound quality and complex features. On top oif that some of them are not optimized enough.
Lance
Guru

Postby DaZoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, but dumping a track takes a lot of time. For me, freezing is a break down in the work process. I want to tweak real time and being able to have access to each instrument and setting while producing is a key point for me.

Is it really that people still work with gear that is so old that it's not able to process a handful of generators without the need to freeze? Friend of mine produces on a mid class laptop for years now and does not have the need to freeze. I can hardly see the need for a freeze function. But well, this was discussed a lot of times already and needs no further cycle.

How many instruments do you guys use? Would be interesting to see your projects and analyse them as I still can't believe that you need to freeze. Can someone send me an example? Not joking.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Lance » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:42 pm

DaZoid wrote:Well, but dumping a track takes a lot of time. For me, freezing is a break down in the work process. I want to tweak real time and being able to have access to each instrument and setting while producing is a key point for me.

Well, if you're talking about the age of powerful PCs, then dumping is not a lot of time either. And those who want to save power and to work with audio, will accept the time of rendering. Freeze feature is a function of freeze and unfreeze by a touch of a button. So if you have a decent PC, freezing of a channel is done pretty quickly, it's just a couple of minutes at max but it's under 1 minute most of the time, especially if the feature is implemented cleverly and e.g. silent parts are not processed and not added to the audio files. Unfreeze just takes a couple of seconds.

If export-filenames is a valid and logical request then freeze - which is automatic export-import - is also for the same reasons.
Lance
Guru

Next

Return to Wishlist