Still desperately needs audio recording from plugins

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Still desperately needs audio recording from plugins

Postby Muse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:27 pm

I like the new update, particularly finally no longer having to tell Orion how many bars I intend to record in advance of recording anything. However it still needs audio recording from plugin instruments - pretty much all other hosts have some version of this (Studio One is the only big name that doesn't and users are asking for it in that too). It is essential for the sort of music I make and much as I love the simplicity of Orion and keep coming back to try it again, the omission of this feature is holding me back from using it in most projects. You can record from hardware instruments directly, why not software instruments too?
Muse
Regular

Re: Still desperately needs audio recording from plugins

Postby Kriminal » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:05 pm

im not really sure what you mean, gimme the details amused....obviously stream to wav and insert is too much of a 'workaround' or something?

what are the benefits?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Perhaps a better explanation of how that works would be more appreciated.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Muse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Kriminal wrote:im not really sure what you mean, gimme the details amused....obviously stream to wav and insert is too much of a 'workaround' or something?

what are the benefits?

Try streaming Metaphysical Function (or similar Reaktor ensembles) to wav. Or a plugin like Granite. Stream, like any sort of bounce only works after you have laid down a track but that requires notes, generative plugins like the above don't create notes and need to be recorded straight to audio, particularly if you use them interactively as I do. Much of my music is of a semi generative nature and doesn't contain midi notes as such (although it usually will contain automation).
Muse
Regular

Postby harddisco » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 pm

if you're letting a vst do its thing and want to reord the output, use a recording plug in like voxengo recorder.

I do this with wierd reaktor fx ensembles - set a loop going, twist in wierd ways for 10-15 mins, whilst recorder (insterted into your channel) is going, then stop it and edit the file to see what i have.

another workaround, but should do what you want?
Win XP Home SP2 - AMD Phenom II x4 B35 (2.9GHZ x 4) - 2GB RAM

http://www.harddisco.co.uk
harddisco
Regular

Postby Muse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah sure but I prefer the host to do it - especially as I would rather work in 64 bit and my usual audio recorder plugin Edison isn't 64 bit
Muse
Regular

Postby bones » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 am

Why do you work in 64 bit? It is a complete waste of time and resources and tends to show how little you understand of the process. I wasn't aware than any host app was able to record the output of a channel directly and, until now, I had never even heard of such a feature. To my mind that makes it hardly worth worrying about, especially when there are easy solutions already mentioned by Krim and Hypna.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Muse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 pm

bones wrote:Why do you work in 64 bit? It is a complete waste of time and resources and tends to show how little you understand of the process. I wasn't aware than any host app was able to record the output of a channel directly and, until now, I had never even heard of such a feature.

I don't know many that can't. Certainly in Live and Reaper its trivially easy, and possible with a bit more work in Sonar, Podium, Energy XT, FL Studio and Samplitude (to name those I know of, not sure about Cubase). I am using 64 bit more and more as my various plugins catch up - once Kore is fully 64 bit it will make a big difference as it is pretty RAM intensive and I use it with RAM intensive plugins like Omnisphere (that as you should know do better in 64 bit)
Muse
Regular

Postby Muse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am

OK here's a simple suggestion for a low demand, high benefit way to do this. Give the Sampler generator an audio in and allow it to record (sample) the input from other plugins. Make it possible also to drag the recorded sample directly from Sampler onto the playlist to make an audio track as well as use it to create sample instruments.
Muse
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 am

That is not a "low demand". It may seem like it is, but from the development side, it would require extensive modifications to the internal audio routing (which, aside from the audio tracks, is virtually non-existent) as well as changing the sampler, plus drag'n'drop additions.

Now, here's a wild idea...
From that image you posted in the other thread I've noticed you're using M-Audio MobilePre audio interface, which, judging by the specifications, has 2 line inputs and 2 line outputs. Now, let's say you have your speakers hooked to LineOut 1, your LineOut 2 is free. And let's say you have one LineIn left unused. You could route the instrument (by using one of the bus channels on the Master) you want to record to the second Output, which would lead back into the Input. Then all you'd have to do is insert the Audio Track, arm the recording, press the Play button and just play your instrument. Of course, I guess this would require a lot of settings changes so that it captures only the LineIn, and not the whole output from Orion.
Just an idea ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Muse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:10 pm

No I don't use that interface so can't do that. Surely if it was just adding an audio in to the sampler it doesn't have to change any internal audio routings? And the playlist already supports drag and drop into it so that's part of the way.

Alternatively Orion needs more audio features anyway so why not add the ability to record a generator from the mixer (like FL Studio does it)
Muse
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Muse wrote:No I don't use that interface so can't do that.

Ah, right, just checked again, it wasn't you. Sorry.

Surely if it was just adding an audio in to the sampler it doesn't have to change any internal audio routings? And the playlist already supports drag and drop into it so that's part of the way. Alternatively Orion needs more audio features anyway so why not add the ability to record a generator from the mixer (like FL Studio does it)

That still doesn't seem like it's something as easily implementable as you make seem, at least to me. That kind of routing doesn't exist, so it's not as simple as adding it, there are other factors to consider - which generators would do that and how the result would be presented. Sampler doesn't have drag and drop, but that doesn't mean it's half way there just because audio tracks have it. And like Bones, I haven't heard of such feature before, but from what it seems, you're alone in that request so far.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Muse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm

It's a well requested, in fact probably the top FR, in Studio One, which is the only other modern host I know that doesn't have the ability to record audio directly from software synths. Up till version 8 Orion has been a bit limited when it comes to more linear recording approaches but now we have open ended recording into the playlist it might attract more people making ambient and modern classical music. I doubt I'm the only one who would like to see such a feature set in Orion, just the first perhaps. Lots of people use Reaktor and plugins like Granite - while there are workarounds there is no substitute for a fully integrated solution. Also don't forget this is also needed for Access Virus Ti users or anyone with hardware DSP as Orion still has no means of bouncing audio down in realtime - so it would solve that problem too.
Muse
Regular

Postby ufo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Poison curls

I could not resist this challenge, so I went home to my beloved (Orion) and fired up.

Change to Song mode.
Add Audio track with Channel 1 & 2 input.
Add VSTi of choice (in this experiment I used Sun Ra - a generative device)
Arm Audio track for R record
Hit the record button on transport.
Idly twist knobs and bend sound on Sun Ra
Stop. Audio file is written to Audio track and can be played back from where it is.

Fuck I am awesome. I have been recording from such devices like this for a while, without having to program
any sort of midi note trigger.

Now go and spend your weekend recording..................
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby ufo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

I just thought of something, you may require to hit a few check boxes in Audio setup, such as Monitor input.

Yeah
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Next

Return to Wishlist