Recording Guitar in Orion

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Recording Guitar in Orion

Postby DivinEviL616 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm trying to riff off. I've been feeling a bit burned out lately and figured the best way to take care of it would be to and jam out to a few beats and see if I couldn't make something decent. I figured out how to get the guitar into Orion and I even successfully recorded some cheese-shit to a generic beat, but not without some problems.

First, I'm trying to get the cliche 'chunky thrash metal - scooped mid' sound. The kind that so thick and heavy it could rip the house down but so sharp it might just slice through the walls first. lol

I'm using Native Instruments Guitar Rig free version to process, and I came across reFX Slayer2_FX Demo in the FL Studio demos which shows a lot of promise but seems to crap out just before getting there (I'll explain crap out in a moment) If anyone knows of a decent guitar processing plugin - preferably free but cheap will do, please tell me. :( I'm almost certain that if I had the full version of Guitar Rig it would do the job, so I'll be looking into it but probably only to add one more thing to the list.

I do have a hardware processor that I could rout through but it gets a bit noisy. If someone could nod me into the direction of what to do to clean it up using Orion or some other effects, a good tutorial on recording guitar with a computer will do fine, does anyone have recommendations? I don't even know where to start looking for good -reliable- info on that subject. I'll probably check YouTube first. I'd really appreciate this and would reward the person with a reply thanking them containing one or more of those nifty smiley faces over there ------>

Also, when I mentioned crapping out, what I was referring to was that the sound crashes. Leaving me with my dry monitor input to the i/o box and this god awful 'glicking' noise until I shut Orion down and reopen it. I'm assuming I'll need to adjust some settings some where so for those who can help me out, I have a DualCore Pentium 4 (3.07) and 3gb of RAM running win32, Lexicon Omega USB ASIO interface. Till then I'm headed over to the Lexicon knowledge base and the youtube.

Thank you guys.
Josh
DivinEviL616
Regular

Re: Recording Guitar in Orion

Postby Teksonik » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm confused. Slayer is an instrument not an effect right? :?

Anyway I use a hardware Johnson J Station for the main body of my guitar sound and run it's SPDIF output into my Delta AP 192 soundcard. I'll then use some vst effect such as delays, chorus, flanger etc to spice it up a bit and use EQ plugins to get the tone just right.

To be honest I've yet to find any software that sounds as good as the J Station for the main body of the sound. A creamy sustain and distortion that's got plenty o' Balz........I've tried just about every freeware plugin out there....the Guitar Rig 4 that comes with Sonar X1....Amplitube 1 and the free version of 3. I just purchased AmpLion Pro because of it's no-brainer price and although it can get some really aggressive sounds it too falls short of the J Station.....

So guitar is still the only time where I still prefer hardware....when it comes to synths I'm a die hard software slut and sold off most of my hardware years ago.....

Not much help I know. I have successfully recorded guitar in Orion and the results were just fine but I prefer to leave the task to other apps at this point in time.....I'm sure someone else will come along with a much more helpful post...... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Slayer works as an effect indeed.
Mark

Postby Philippe Tavares » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 pm

:wink: I agree with Teksonik !

You beter should buy a real guitar .... well then we can be for or against some amps softwares but it's still better than things like Slayer ... maybe except if you are a good keyboard player and you can buy the Prominy products http://prominy.com/ , just take an eye to the videos , but don't forget most of the time these samples or softs are for doing Heavy Metal !

I'm using an UX 1 from Line6 with Podfarm + a Korg multieffect and it's very well for what i can do with a guitar ! :wink:
Philippe Tavares
Professional

Postby DivinEviL616 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 pm

tubular tos wrote:You beter should buy a real guitar .... well then we can be for or against some amps softwares but it's still better than things like Slayer ...

I am using a real flesh err... wood and steel 6 string. When I mentioned 'slayer' I was talking about it's isolated effects unit, not it as an instrument. Though I can see where you'd get confused.

The thing is, I wanna stay away from sampled guitars. I've check some out and they are pretty good, but I recorded a demo about ten years ago using guitar samples in a Modded out ReBirth in the 808 section. I want to expand into actual production of a live recorded instrument for my music.

My main concern is the sound driver crashing like it does. Even if I go into the settings select another and then go back to the Omega the in put doesn't return. I haven't had a chance to scour Lexicon yet, but that's where I'm headed now. I honestly believe that my computer is decently enough that I should be able to do live recording without much latency or driver crashing. I tried once before a long while ago and ran in the same problem but guitar wasn't a focus back then so I just put it a side because I was focused on other aspects but here recently I've been making some music I'd like to get all metaled up like my original stuff, but a more evolved version. It's like I was mentioning to someone else, my computer is consistently out performed by systems with much lower resources than mine, and it's getting frustrating. I have a friend that can run about 12 instances of Massive in the High Quality setting, but me...nope! Even in demo mode when he was trying to show me how to do that nifty stacking thing he does I couldn't get more than 4 at a time and it's done!

That's why I don't own it, I can't properly use it... anyway. Does anyone know of any WinXP optimizing tricks? I have a couple guides I found on line but they have done little to nothing. I have my running tasks down to a total of 15 before I start Orion and it's still doing this. Anyway, I'll get to looking where I can now, sorry for the out burst...I'm better now. ...not really but lets all pretend lol :P
DivinEviL616
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 am

Teksonik wrote:I'm confused. Slayer is an instrument not an effect right? :?

both, 2 .dll's
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Ahhh thanks I don't remember Slayer having an effects version.....I've just had a quick look and I don't see Slayer 2 even listed in FL.....I thought it was included in later version but it's a separate purchase now......not even the demo shows up which is odd since IL crams every demo plugin into each release........

Now that I think of it I was on the Slayer beta team years and years ago but I don't seem to remember an FX version back then either. Oh well I'm sure I won't like it's sound any more than any of the other current alternatives.....

To the OP, I remember recording my guitar way back with my ancient Pentium single core 2.53 with very acceptable latency so I can't see any reason why your couldn't with your setup although I'm not familiar with the Lexicon Omega.
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I wouldn't bother ;)
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Sorry I was editing my post....you wouldn't bother what? :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok now I've got it......the brain's not working well at 4am....FL Slayer (not Slayer 2) is included as a generator but not as an effect so that's where I got confused......... :oops:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 pm

The effects weren't that great from what I remember.
Mark

Postby V/M » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I would recommend trying Boogex by Voxengo.
It's free and I've gotten some pretty good results out of it.

There's also FreeAmp that sounds fairly convincing, but it was found it resource hungry when I used it a year or so ago.
V/M
Professional

Postby Kriminal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Teksonik wrote:Now that I think of it I was on the Slayer beta team years and years ago but I don't seem to remember an FX version back then either. Oh well I'm sure I won't like it's sound any more than any of the other current alternatives.....

i was on the beta team for Slayer2, thats how i remembered...the best thing about it was you could automate the colour of the guitar body :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby DivinEviL616 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Teksonik wrote:Ok now I've got it......the brain's not working well at 4am....FL Slayer (not Slayer 2) is included as a generator but not as an effect so that's where I got confused......... :oops:

http://www.image-line.com/downloads/downloads.html

Second column, third from the bottom. I went here to get the FL Studio Demo and decided to just test everything that caught my interested so I could review it for a blog project I'm working on (and thus started my recent Sakura fiasco lol). The funny thing is that it's not actually an IL installer either, it looks like they are hosting the current reFX version but I won't know for sure. Anyway when this installs it has an effects only version. It's 'OK' I guess does a good job emulating that 'Boss' stompbox pedal effect sound. It gets really close to the sound I want but this fall apart with the sound card before I can get it there though.

Anyway, back to the guitar, I did some reading and there are a few things I've been doing a little 'unconventionally' according to the quick start guide, and I came across something about 'processor specific' optimization that is recommended for people who use computers like mine. It's a second hand custom built but not a very good one in the way that certain parts we discontinued or they weren't matched up very well not too sure on all the details cause it was second hand and had Ubunto OS and all generic drivers installed when I got it but wasn't passing up the deal I was getting. I guess I'm paying for a hasty purchase in the end huh? Anyway, I think I'm gonna have to break down and let the damn thing back on line to at least let intel run a scan on the hardware cause I cannot find the original document I saved that info to. :( booo

Anyway, I think I'm on the track to solving the technical issues, I will be still need some help making it sound good production wise if anyone wants to help there. :) I'll probably start work on the remastering of all my old ReBirth tracks and practice on those sound clips.
DivinEviL616
Regular

Postby Philippe Tavares » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:25 pm

:shock: Ohhh !??! Guys , i'm surprised you didn't noticed this one few days ago ! This is the last amp and pedals freeware ! Seen on KVR and Audiofanzine .

http://tonebytes.com/pedals/

@ V/M Yes freeamp is great !
Philippe Tavares
Professional

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks