Global Patterns

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Global Patterns

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I've sensed over the past few posts that the temperature is beginning to rise a bit!

Can we try not to let it rise any further, please? :)
Mark

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

@Bones

You have expressed your idea - what many of us or potentially the majority of us DOESN'T like -, I have expressed my views and opinions. We should finish already. It makes no sense to be running in circles and telling the same again and again. I'm not interested to discuss it any further. Rich will decide about it, and the users will decide about Orion.

I don't want to waste my time and limited power on this subject. You're free to do it, you can write pages about it calling stupid and idiot who dares to disagree with you or having different preferences than you. I won't read it!

Users, who will feel offended by Bones' expression style, use the Report button! Thank you! :)
Lance
Guru

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:34 pm

you stop posting then lance, and lets see if any other users want to chime in with an opinion :wink:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby DivinEviL616 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Oh my god! Did anyone else see that duck!? It ran off over by Krim! ...Just now.

So... whats going on?
DivinEviL616
Regular

Postby bones » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Lance wrote:You have expressed your idea - what many of us or potentially the majority of us DOESN'T like

No, so far it is just you and Teksonik, neither of whom understand it and are seeing things that simply aren't there.
I have expressed my views and opinions.

Yes, without a single argument, valid or otherwise, to back them up. Very helpful.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 am

I'd have to try it out in practice, see how it changes my workflow. From what I'm reading I'm ok with it. I'll adapt.
funky koval
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 am

bones wrote:No, so far it is just you and Teksonik, neither of whom understand it and are seeing things that simply aren't there.

No, it's you who don't understand what a mess your idea would create and have obviously not thought it through properly.......and you're simply not seeing anything.....if you did this idea would have died on the Beta forums....

bones wrote:Yes, without a single argument, valid or otherwise, to back them up. Very helpful.

Ironically that was exactly what I was going to say about you......you've left too many unanswered questions and made too many assumptions that your idea is even possible or practical to implement. The amount of coding time wasted on this idea would be better spent adding something new and useful to Orion.......

Ok neither side is going to change the others mind and Mark is going to have to step in if things get heated although for a Bones thread things have remained reasonably civilized.........no one has been called an Idiot yet........

So we'll let Rich decide what is best. If he decides to implement such a system I'm willing to beta test it on my laptop but will not install it on my main music computer. I'll simply keep using 8.5 and it's wonderful Pattern Per Generator workflow......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Christophe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 am

bones wrote:No, so far it is just you and Teksonik, neither of whom understand it and are seeing things that simply aren't there.

i don't like it too and feel it's unnecessary, it's a waste of dev time, imho
i prefer to use receive midi from or copy paste and transpose method
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am

In order to provide a bit of balance here :) I think there is something in the idea, and at the end of the day, if Richard sees some merit in it then he will come up with an implementation that will get beta-tested. If he doesn't like it then it's unlikely to appear.

Anyway, I'd like to commend you all for not resorting to extreme name calling in this thread, although some are taking it all a bit too much as a personal affront. Overall though, it has gone a lot better than I expected :lol:
Mark

Postby mattox » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 am

I like the idea of a global patten bank; I've always wanted something like that.

Not too sure why some of your are freaking out about it; maybe if it was per generator it would make more sense? Then at least there wont be any issue trying to map modulation across generators.
mattox
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:40 am

it wouldnt be global if it was per generator
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am

Mark wrote:although some are taking it all a bit too much as a personal affront.

If you're referring to me there's nothing personal in it at all. I'm simply defending Orion's workflow as we've all seen Bones do time after time over the years......In my opinion Global patterns are a bad idea as presented no matter who presented it.......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:52 am

mattox wrote:I like the idea of a global patten bank; I've always wanted something like that.

Why?
mattox wrote:Not too sure why some of your are freaking out about it;

I don't see anyone "freaking out". Just presenting our opinions about what we consider a really bad idea...I believe if anyone really thinks it through they would come to the same conclusion.....

mattox wrote:maybe if it was per generator it would make more sense? Then at least there wont be any issue trying to map modulation across generators.

Kriminal beat me to it....Global Patterns as presented would break the current Pattern Per Generator workflow.....A Global Pattern bank in addition to Orion's current Pattern Per Generator method might be a compromise but Rich has already said he doesn't think it would work....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 am

Kriminal wrote:it wouldnt be global if it was per generator

It shows some really cannot think through how many little and cardinal things it would change from the pattern selector to the way of finding, selecting and putting patterns into the Playlist.

Let it be instead a floating window or onside (on/off optional) media pool/browser to drag and drop stuff from and into it. Then it could be used even as a global pattern pool via e.g. dropping patterns into the Playlist. That would be something, and it wouldn't be only for MIDI/patterns but for audio, loops, presets, templates, mixer settings, automation patterns etc.
Lance
Guru

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am

Teksonik wrote:
Mark wrote:although some are taking it all a bit too much as a personal affront.

If you're referring to me there's nothing personal in it at all.

Then the sentence I wrote doesn't apply to you :wink:

Teksonik wrote: I'm simply defending Orion's workflow as we've all seen Bones do time after time over the years......In my opinion Global patterns are a bad idea as presented no matter who presented it.......

I'm very happy that you're defending Orion's workflow. I would be doing the same, if I felt that the idea would break my workflow. Since I see some merit in the idea I will argue for it. That's also good.

I think the forum is very lucky to have such passionate people as yourself who believe in Richard's project and who look to ways to help him improve it and/or try to apply the brakes when they think it's going the wrong way. As long as that is all done with an air of respect for everyone else then cool 8) <-This is a general point and not directed at you personally Tek
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist