Wishlist Threads Poll

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Who thinks the separate threads for wishes and discussion has been successful?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 am

I do, it allowed for each suggestion to be thoroughly explored.
33%
I don't, almost none of the wishes were discussed at all.
67%

Total votes : 9

Wishlist Threads Poll

Postby bones » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:38 am

Mark thinks that separating the wishes from discussion about them has been a success but from what I've seen, around 90% of the wishes haven't been discussed at all. That means that either everyone agrees or that no-one cares about those wishes, making it useless. What do you guys think? I think every wish should be in its own thread and should have a simple poll so you can say you like or don't like it without discussion. That way Rich can see very quickly what wishes people have and how much support/interest each has, without having to go through two separate threads and correlate discussion from one with wishes from another.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Re: Wishlist Threads Poll

Postby V/M » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:43 am

I think when you have a section of the forum called "Wishlist", it's ridiculous to have a single thread devoted to everybody's wishes and another thread to discuss the topics introduced in the first thread.

Ultimately in a perfect world, each person that has a wish would see if there is an existing thread for that wish already. if not, create a new thread in the Wishlist forum with a meaningful subject header and any further discussion related to that wish would take place in the thread. Reading the names of threads in the Wishlist should essentially BE like reading a basic wishlist and the first post of each thread would provide detail without pre-emptive defensiveness and discussion would follow in later posts. The world, of course, is not perfect.

And for what it's worth, I mostly ignore the discussion thread because there's too much going on all at once.
V/M
Professional

Postby michl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 am

i think so too, having a dedicated subforum with ONE thread PER wish / fr would be easier to navigate for all of us. i also like the idea of having a constant poll for each wish - maybe there is a way to have them automatically ranked?
michl
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 am

a poll about a poll, excellent :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby V/M » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 am

in my opinion, democracy is NOT the way to make software development decisions.
V/M
Professional

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm

bones wrote:without having to go through two separate threads and correlate discussion from one with wishes from another.

But then he'd have to go through a dozen or more separate threads....and if people aren't discussing wishes now what makes you think they will take time to vote for other user's wishes or discuss them any more in separate threads? So you'll have a dozen or more threads with no discussion and no votes. We've spent more time discussing the threads than we have their content..........

If we're talking about limited development time where only a certain number of FRs can be considered obviously everyone will vote for their own FRs and against others.......

Maybe people don't want to discuss their Feature Requests for fear of being called an Idiot.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 pm

V/M wrote:in my opinion, democracy is NOT the way to make software development decisions.

What other way would there be? You develop software based on the needs of users and perhaps even more importantly the needs and desires of potential users (customers)........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby michl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Teksonik wrote:
V/M wrote:in my opinion, democracy is NOT the way to make software development decisions.

What other way would there be? You develop software based on the needs of users and perhaps even more importantly the needs and desires of potential users (customers)........

i tend to believe that escpecially smaller companies sometimes develop according to a personal vision or need not always in accordance with their userbases wishes...
michl
Novice

Postby michl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Teksonik wrote:
bones wrote:without having to go through two separate threads and correlate discussion from one with wishes from another.

But then he'd have to go through a dozen or more separate threads....and if people aren't discussing wishes now what makes you think they will take time to vote for other user's wishes or discuss them any more in separate threads? So you'll have a dozen or more threads with no discussion and no votes. We've spent more time discussing the threads than we have their content..........

If we're talking about limited development time where only a certain number of FRs can be considered obviously everyone will vote for their own FRs and against others.......

Maybe people don't want to discuss their Feature Requests for fear of being called an Idiot.........

the reaper community does it this way - everyone can post requests and there is a voting system - every request lives and gets discussed in a thread of its own. seems to work at least for them...
michl
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 pm

michl wrote:[
i tend to believe that escpecially smaller companies sometimes develop according to a personal vision or need not always in accordance with their userbases wishes...

Then that would explain the size of their user base........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:59 pm

michl wrote:the reaper community does it this way - everyone can post requests and there is a voting system - every request lives and gets discussed in a thread of its own. seems to work at least for them...

I own and user Reaper all the time.....to be honest I've never even visited the Feature request forum.....

The point being if the users here aren't discussing FRs now will having separate threads make a difference?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby V/M » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:09 pm

users have been discussing features in individual threads here for years.
it seems so obvious, I feel like I'm taking bait..
V/M
Professional

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 pm

At no point has it been said that users have to post their wishes in the wishlist thread. Everyone is still free to post individual wishes in separate threads for discussion.
Mark

Postby michl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Mark wrote:At no point has it been said that users have to post their wishes in the wishlist thread. Everyone is still free to post individual wishes in separate threads for discussion.

you're right on this one and maybe there is some personal vendetta style argueing involved but i think there should be a "standard procedure" of placing feature requests! only that would save the devs from skimming through pages and pages and pages of argueing.

i hold my ground : one thread per request with a poll to see which requests are common requests.
AND i would appreciate a statement from the devs about requests on a regular basis ( maybe once a month or so ).

as i learned in other company forums - communicating with your user base is a vital point for every dev
michl
Novice

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Anyone can start a poll with their threads, so go ahead. Poll creation is at the bottom when you start creating your new thread. I suggest you click the option to allow voters to be able to change their votes if they wish.
Mark

Next

Return to Wishlist