FR phase reverse switch in drum racks

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

would you use this feature?

yes
56%
no
22%
don't know
22%

Total votes : 9

FR phase reverse switch in drum racks

Postby michl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 pm

title has it : i would like to have a button for reversing the phase of a sample ( sometimes needed for layering sounds ) in every track of a drum rack.
michl
Novice

Re: FR phase reverse switch in drum racks

Postby bones » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

For what purpose, exactly? i.e. How will it enhance layering?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby michl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

did you ever come across the term "phase cancelation"???
changing one samples phase can greatly improve your layering experience ...

btw why do you vote when you don't even know the subject well enough to have an opinion ( as your question strongly implies ) ???
michl
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 am

Hmmm tough vote. I don't think I'd use it much as the RMV and MicroTonic are my main Drum plugins but I'm not against the idea......Guess I'll vote yes.......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:14 am

michl wrote:did you ever come across the term "phase cancelation"???

Yes, it is a stereo widening feature I include in all the synths I make, as well as in my kill-o-rama plugin. It is also a technique I often employ when preparing samples for use in Orion, just to make life easier.
Phase cancellation in DrumRack would require a mono source. DrumRack works in stereo so the likelyhood is that you will just get a 100% cancellation, rather than the stereo phase cancellation you are looking for. It might work with mono samples panned hard left and right, depending how the signal routing is done inside DrumRack, but it wouldn't work a lot of the time, which would just give the impression it was broken. Much easier to use my kill-o-rama plugin to achieve the effect.
Alternatively, a better feature request would be to include stereo phase cancellation as a feature, rather than just the hit-and-miss tool to do it yourself.
btw why do you vote when you don't even know the subject well enough to have an opinion ( as your question strongly implies ) ???

Actually, it turns out I know quite a bit more about it than you seem to, or at least I am able to think it through more effectively.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby michl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 am

at least in Poise this requested switch works with mono AND stereo samples! just to be sure i would not use this phase reverse as means of sound design but as tool to get rid of phase problems related to layering drum samples ...
michl
Novice

Postby bones » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am

OK< different situation. I find samples that sound good on their own and, therefore, don't require layering so I avoid any of those kinds of issues.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 pm

What if you find two samples that sound really good? You know something like a kick that has a nice aggressive attack and another that has a full bodied thump? I frequently layer samples that sound good on their own to make a new sound that's even better......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby michl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Teksonik wrote:What if you find two samples that sound really good? You know something like a kick that has a nice aggressive attack and another that has a full bodied thump? I frequently layer samples that sound good on their own to make a new sound that's even better......

and sometimes you have to phase reverse one of these 2 samples - this is where my request comes in ...

nobody would be forced to actually use more than one sample at a time. it would just be a button or a menu entry which could be ignored or used ...
michl
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 am

Which is why I voted Yes.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby funky koval » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 am

+1 useful feature, I layer drum sounds all the time and have run into this issue.
funky koval
Regular

Postby traumatek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 am

Sounds a good idea. I've also recently started looking into layering...
traumatek
Regular

Return to Wishlist