PLEASE REDESIGN THE ARPEGIATOR....

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

PLEASE REDESIGN THE ARPEGIATOR....

Postby fjcoloma » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 pm

For such a beast synth like Dune its incredible how complicated the arp is....from my point of view the only "BUT" to the synth.
It looks like the old 8bit trackers for my Amiga computer....

Thanks

Javier
fjcoloma
Novice

Re: PLEASE REDESIGN THE ARPEGIATOR....

Postby Kriminal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

its not strctly an ARP, in the traditional sense, its more a sequencer

i agree it could be a lot easier to program, it can be a pain sometimes going thru all the notes, but then again i never use it much, so it doesnt bother me really.

i think its strong point is its complexity, but thats could also be its downfall for some.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 pm

I have long asked for a traditional Arp to added to Dune along with the built in Sequencer......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:23 am

fjcoloma wrote:For such a beast synth like Dune its incredible how complicated the arp is...

It isn't complicated for me.

But you have to be balanced when you use it much (for example use it for modulation source or gating). The piano roll of your sequencer is much more suitable and convenient for a lot of things what you try to do in an arpeggiator.
Lance
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Lance wrote: is much more suitable and convenient for a lot of things what you try to do in an arpeggiator.

Not when you want to play an instrument from a midi controller. Dune doesn't have an Arp it has a Sequencer.........

Rich's reasoning for not including a traditional Arp in Dune is that most hosts have a built in Arp. But then again most hosts have a built in Sequencer yet one was included in Dune.........

Sure you can use the host's built in Arp or a third party plugin but then you can't include those in a Dune patch.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, DUNE's arpeggiator is called an Arpeggiator, Arp. It was Rich who gave this name to it. It has 7 modes: Chord, Duophonic, Dynamic, Modulation, Simple, One Shot and Voice 2/4/6/8!

And it has several possibilites to shape your arpeggios; Steps, Rate, Length, Swing, Sync. Such power house crammed into a small screen area cannot be simple for a novice user! What do you want? To simplify it or make it even more complex? DUNE is a flag ship product, a high end modern synth, it won't be shipped with a too simple arp/sequencer/whatever.

If you can't play DUNE's Arp with a MIDI keyboard, that's user error. If you can't program fine arpeggios with it, that's user error too. DUNE isn't for synth noobs to program.

You can call it to whatever as you wish, but it does what it does and powerful and complex enough at that. From the first post it seems, that's the problem.
Lance
Guru

Postby Kriminal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Lance wrote:Well, DUNE's arpeggiator is called an Arpeggiator, Arp. It was Rich who gave this name to it. It has 7 modes: Chord, Duophonic, Dynamic, Modulation, Simple, One Shot and Voice 2/4/6/8!

Rich is wrong then, its not an ARP, its a Sequencer

you dont have to program an ARP, you press keys and it plays, you have to program the 'ARP' notes into Dune before it will play.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Lance wrote:If you can't play DUNE's Arp with a MIDI keyboard, that's user error. If you can't program fine arpeggios with it, that's user error too. DUNE isn't for synth noobs to program.

Ahhh yes right to the condescending insults Lance. Your trademark.....

First of all you need to learn the difference between a real Arp and a Sequencer. Then come back and we'll talk. I played my first Arp somewhere around 1985 and I've loved them ever since. They are as Kriminal so rightfully pointed out to be played like an instrument. No matter how hard you try, Dune's sequencer can not be played like a traditional Arp. It has nothing to do with "user error" but then you'd know that if you actually understood what a true Arp is....

No one is asking for DUNE's sequencer to be replaced or simplified in any way. I would just like to see a true Arp included with traditional Up, Down, Up/Down, As Played, etc Modes.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Mark

Postby Kriminal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 am

i dont believe that track used an ARP Mark....
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Lance » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 am

Teksonik wrote:
Lance wrote:If you can't play DUNE's Arp with a MIDI keyboard, that's user error. If you can't program fine arpeggios with it, that's user error too. DUNE isn't for synth noobs to program.

Ahhh yes right to the condescending insults Lance. Your trademark.....

I used the "you" as in general, for only those who can't play the Arp with their MIDI keyboard. The same with the Arp programming. That's why I added the "DUNE isn't for synth noobs" line.

It wasn't directed to you, neither to anyone specificly, just went out in general, containing my general opinion about this subject. That's why it wasn't a Reply to anyone.

No need to overreact it by anyone. :)
Lance
Guru

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 am

I think we'll go for a more graphical sequencer in our next plugin- or MIDI Import, which may be even faster as you can sequence directly from your DAW's piano roll. I don't mind the current way in Dune though, some stuff is quite efficient to do, like setting velocities or tie. Furthermore it allows setting special parameters not available when using a MIDI clip- required by the Dynamic Mode in Dune, and potential future extensions like Accent or Slide.

About tracking, it's actually extremely fast and flexible when using the keyboard- but we can't rely on the keyboard input to get through, so we had to use the mouse, which is admittedly much slower.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 am

Kriminal wrote:i dont believe that track used an ARP Mark....

You're right, my bad. It was a Moog Modular, wasn't it? :lol:
Mark

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 am

you're right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_%28instrumental%29
love that song by the way :wink:
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Teksonik » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 am

Lance wrote: those who can't play the Arp with their MIDI keyboard.

You can't play Dune's sequencer like a true Arp.....has nothing to do with "noobs"...... :roll:
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)