Bread and butter soundsets for DUNE

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Bread and butter soundsets for DUNE

Postby megawattt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Good afternoon gentlemen(and ladies)

Are there any bread and butter soundsets for DUNE on the market ala general midi type sounds with some balls :o DUNE does have a few bits and pieces but i would like some more , if i had the brain matter of some of the talented members of this forum i would tweak my own but when i try it my creativity is extinguised ,help me please! :)
megawattt
Regular

Re: Bread and butter soundsets for DUNE

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

My soundset contains patches for clarinet, brass, piano, harpsichord, violin, organ and accordion amongst others. What specific sounds are you looking for? There are also some GM style sounds in the main factory banks too, e.g., oboe, brass and my piano and bowed string presets.
Mark

Postby megawattt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Greetings Mark.

Your soundset sounds interesting ,where can i check it out ? i am into useable sounds ,nice leads and sounds with a good attack to create melodies with , i am not into arpeggiated sounds or slow attack drony stuff , i have been using some of the sounds that you have mentioned in DUNE and they sound real good but i find myself using them over and over , i wish there was some more interesting GM type stuff in it.
megawattt
Regular

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

megawattt wrote:Good afternoon gentlemen(and ladies)

Are there any bread and butter soundsets for DUNE on the market ala general midi type sounds with some balls :o DUNE does have a few bits and pieces but i would like some more , if i had the brain matter of some of the talented members of this forum i would tweak my own but when i try it my creativity is extinguised ,help me please! :)

There are many free and payware banks already. See this Sticky list:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9485

I think some or many of them intended to be bread and butter.
Lance
Guru

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Follow the link in my signature. That will take you to my website with a link to a 26 patch free demo bank (plus the full bank if you should wish to buy it), plus some audio examples (quite a few actually).

Let me know what other sounds you are interested because I'm almost finished doing a new bank. Just 20 patches left to complete out of 128.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 pm

megawattt wrote:, i wish there was some more interesting GM type stuff in it.

Using Dune for GM sounds is like using a Screwdriver to Hammer in a Nail..........in my opinion of course..... :mrgreen:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby DaZoid » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 pm

I do recommend Rob Lee's Soundsets for DUNE. Got them both. Check the forum. Can't find the link.

http://www.producerloops.com/de/Downloa ... ecall.html

ok, found the sound link for the Total Recall soundset. Click on Demo 1 to 3. There's another one available.

and of course the Vengeance soundsets

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/soundsets-dune-ce1.html

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/soundsets-dune-de2.html
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:03 pm

There's a lot of GM patches in the Vengeance banks? :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:00 am

Teksonik wrote:

Using Dune for GM sounds is like using a Screwdriver to Hammer in a Nail..........in my opinion of course..... :mrgreen:

Naturally, I have to disagree here ;)

With DUNE you can make GM style patches that go way beyond what you get in your average GM synth due to the expressivity and performance controls that you can program in. Plus the ability to morph in to something completely different. I'm not saying I've done that, but it is possible.
Mark

Postby megawattt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am

Hi there Mark.

I checked out your demo sounds,they are very good but leaned towards dance music (Unless i'm missing something here)i already bought one of Rob Lee's soundsets a while back,i really like the sounds but i struggle to find usage for them in my tunes(That is probably down to my limited ability) i find it a lot easier fitting in GM type sounds in my music ,as a customer what i would like are some DUNE sound banks containing GM type sounds with a twist to make them more interesting which would turn DUNE into a hammer instead of a screwdriver :D ,any programmers interested in sorting me out here ? ,many thanks Kriminal,i shall check out the list :)
megawattt
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 am

Mark wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

Naturally, I have to disagree here ;)

With DUNE you can make GM style patches that go way beyond what you get in your average GM synth due to the expressivity and performance controls that you can program in. Plus the ability to morph in to something completely different. I'm not saying I've done that, but it is possible.

Oh of course it's possible.....just as it's possible to take a Ferrari down to the corner market for a pint of milk........ :mrgreen: It's also possible to drive in a nail with the butt end of a screwdriver but it's not the tool I would choose for the task. Obviously if I own a Hammer I'm going to use it for driving nails........

When I think GM instruments I wouldn't think to grab Dune first is all I'm saying......... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 am

megawattt wrote:Hi there Mark.

GM type sounds with a twist to make them more interesting which would turn DUNE into a hammer instead of a screwdriver :D ,any programmers interested in sorting me out here ?

Which instruments from the GM list? It's a pretty long list going from Glockenspiel to Bird Tweet and lots in between. I don't think DUNE was intended to be a GM Hammer although you could make do with some of the GM patches. Dune is perfectly designed towards Dance Music so that's why the patch banks tend to lean in that direction. Different tools for different tasks.

For strict GM patches I personally would use Sampletank or any number of free Soundfonts out there loaded into Orion's Sampler for further twisting.................. :)

Asking a sound designer to do GM patches in Dune is like asking a mechanic to put a Ford Focus engine in your Ferrari......... :mrgreen: All in my opinion of course and all in good fun.......... :dance:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I agree Tek, to an extent. I don't see the point of having a whole bank of GM sounds. I discussed this with Richard when we were designing the seashore, helicopter and bowed strings patches together and felt that whilst it would be an interesting academic exercise that it would be too much effort for little gain. When I made my bank, I felt a mix of GM sounds, dance sounds, FX and other general purpose synth sounds was the way to go.

Also, whilst DUNE is perfectly suited to dance sounds, I'd say it's gamut is far wider than that. Hell, I'm even using DUNE scientifically now for signal analysis and reconstruction (any excuse to flip it open at work :lol: ). I spent last night reconstructing the signal you get in echocardiograms :lol:
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm

megawattt wrote:Hi there Mark.

I checked out your demo sounds,they are very good but leaned towards dance music (Unless i'm missing something here)i already bought one of Rob Lee's soundsets a while back,i really like the sounds but i struggle to find usage for them in my tunes(That is probably down to my limited ability) i find it a lot easier fitting in GM type sounds in my music ,as a customer what i would like are some DUNE sound banks containing GM type sounds with a twist to make them more interesting which would turn DUNE into a hammer instead of a screwdriver :D ,any programmers interested in sorting me out here ? ,many thanks Kriminal,i shall check out the list :)

I think the demos are dance orientated, but that's for promotional reasons. There are around 25-30 patches in the whole bank that you could fit in to the slot of GM or GM-like, plus many others that certainly aren't dance orientated.

Still you haven't answered, which specific GM patches are you interested in? As I said I have slots left in the current bank that can be filled with GM, since I haven't concentrated on that side this time, but am not against it. Alternatively, I could take the GM patches from the first bank, polish them up a bit more and add your requests to it to make a mini-GM bank (64 patches). I wouldn't have time to do a full bank just yet.
Mark

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)