Gui Question

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Gui Question

Postby Teksonik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Kriminal wrote:the style would look very diff if it was the same size as Orions mixer on a 17" screen, thats was my point. It looks impressive sure, but it has to be practical first and foremost.

A pixel is the same size in both apps and both apps use the same Monitor and resolution. What they do with that real estate is an entirely different story......

Kriminal wrote:White Tie did the Schwa stuff didnt he? Olga?

Yes and quite a bit of other stuff as well.......I've never like Olga..........too Soviet Bloc for me........... :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:17 pm

nevermind, point missed
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:15 pm

No I get your point that supposedly Orion can't have the same level of realism because of the current size of it's elements ....that excuse comes up every time.

But like I said.....same pixels, same resolution, same monitor size......same real estate to work with.....

Here's the mixer strip from the current Reaper skin I'm using. ( and before you even go there this theme allows you to collapse individual mixer strip's width...they're called Layouts....very practical)

Here's Orion's default:

Not a huge difference in size but a difference in realism in my opinion.....

Oh well like you said never mind....nothing is going to change so best to just move on.......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 am

Teksonik wrote:No I get your point that supposedly Orion can't have the same level of realism because of the current size of it's elements ....that excuse comes up every time.

no, that wasnt my point :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby V/M » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 am

Teksonik wrote:Is there a technical reason Orion's GUI couldn't reach this level of realism? :)

are you asking if there is a reason it can't be done by a motivated skin designer now?
or are you asking if there is a reason that Orion cannot be adapted to allow skins of this type to be designed?
and what, specifically, is it about this skin that you like? I mean, what is it that means realism?

I suspect, without authority, that this level of realism, stylistically, is achievable with the current version of Orion. I might even take up the challenge this summer. I'll start with something small like monobass and move up. Though seriously, your comparison between the two doesn't really present much of a difference in a level of physical believability.. the main differences are color and crispness.
V/M
Professional

Postby V/M » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 am

Teksonik wrote:Yes and quite a bit of other stuff as well.......I've never like Olga..........too Soviet Bloc for me........... :lol:

do you feel, though, that Olga has the quality of "realism" that you see in the first image you posted?
or is there something about the shades of grey that does it for you? I seem to recall you liking grey.
V/M
Professional

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 am

I think the more realism is, the more screen space it's demanding, so it may not be ideal for efficiency and functionality on average screens or for track-heavy projects. (Of course it will depends on the user's taste and needs.) But there could be such skins too, variety is the spice of life.

I see the main reason why there's no super realism skins for Orion, because the userbase is small... that means not enough people who makes skins in big variety and for various demands.
Lance
Guru

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Image

May be the metal knobs are too brillant, but I like it :drool:
Last edited by dmassive on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby V/M » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

If you recall, a couple years ago.. bones presented a mockup of a realistic gui that he was not, at the time, capable of producing due to various restrictions of the skinning system. I don't know if those restriction are still in place though. I know png transparency was a big one. this was a nice looking gui with some physical visual believability at a (arguably) reasonable size and scale for Orion.
V/M
Professional

Postby nix » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 am

Yep.
I loved that GUI,
if it's the same one.
I think he broke out the 3d on it IIRC.
Cheers
It morphed into the grey skin--
but it had something more IMO
nix
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 pm

V/M wrote:If you recall, a couple years ago.. bones presented a mockup of a realistic gui that he was not, at the time, capable of producing due to various restrictions of the skinning system. I don't know if those restriction are still in place though. I know png transparency was a big one. this was a nice looking gui with some physical visual believability at a (arguably) reasonable size and scale for Orion.

nix wrote:Yep.
I loved that GUI,
if it's the same one.
I think he broke out the 3d on it IIRC.
Cheers
It morphed into the grey skin--
but it had something more IMO

Yes I remember that mockup and everybody loved it.....but then Bones abandoned it and went back to his old style. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

V/M wrote: I mean, what is it that means realism?

To me it looks like something you'd find in the real world. A piece of hardware and I'm comfortable using hardware.....it looks like you could reach out and push the buttons on your screen and they would work.......... :)
V/M wrote:I suspect, without authority, that this level of realism, stylistically, is achievable with the current version of Orion.

That was the whole point. Could someone who is motivated enough, talented enough and willing to put in the time replicate that style in Orion. Are there technical barriers or does it just come down to motivation........
V/M wrote:I might even take up the challenge this summer. I'll start with something small like monobass and move up.

I wouldn't even bother with the generators and fx start with the mixer and toolbars and move down from there........ :)
V/M wrote:Though seriously, your comparison between the two doesn't really present much of a difference in a level of physical believability.. the main differences are color and crispness.

Te me there is a huge difference.....but in the eye of the beholder I guess......Just look at the Mute Solo buttons on the two examples I posted above..........

V/M wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Yes and quite a bit of other stuff as well.......I've never like Olga..........too Soviet Bloc for me........... :lol:

do you feel, though, that Olga has the quality of "realism" that you see in the first image you posted?
or is there something about the shades of grey that does it for you? I seem to recall you liking grey.

Olga looks like a cartoon to me.....not realistic at all and that tilted perspective makes me dizzy...... :P

Lance wrote:I see the main reason why there's no super realism skins for Orion, because the userbase is small... that means not enough people who makes skins in big variety and for various demands.

That might very well be the real reason...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Image

Not bad but not close either...........Again look at the Mute Solo buttons and the Buss selectors.......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Kriminal wrote:
Teksonik wrote:No I get your point that supposedly Orion can't have the same level of realism because of the current size of it's elements ....that excuse comes up every time.

no, that wasnt my point :lol:

So what the bloody 'ell was your point.......... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist