Reason rack extensions

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Reason rack extensions

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:51 pm

mrbrico wrote:Hopefully this would be a win for reason users and for developers.

To me, it doesn't seem fair to one of those groups. Either devs would agree to sell their stuff 30% off, or users would have to pay those 30% more than what's the original price of the product. If it's really true about Props taking 30%, then one side has to lose in that arrangement.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:35 pm

I see there is an SDK for the Rack Extension format so it may not be as simple as changing a bit of existing code. Then factor in that developers will have to rework their GUI's to conform to Reason's rackmount paradigm and it's possible that porting an instrument like Dune may not be as easy as one would guess. Effects units like Uhbik are already in nearly a rackmount configuration so the conversion will be less difficult not to mention they have a ton less knobs and functions.

I think that if Synapse only sold Dune and other instruments it would be a different story but again do they really want to do anything that would make Reason a more attractive alternative to Orion? Maybe if the number of possible units sold was large enough and taking the 30% commission the Props are charging into consideration it might be a profitable venture for Synapse. Only Rich can tell and I'm sure he'll make the right decision.

I don't have anything against an RE version of Dune but every minute spent on that is a minute not spent on further developing Orion or any other Synapse product aimed at the non Reason user. But as Kriminal pointed out on the Beta forums if RE versions generate enough income it might be possible for Synapse to hire on some help and then development of Orion and vst versions of Synapse plugin would accelerate. But as mentioned it's all just speculation at this point.

I will ask how many people only use Reason and would be willing to buy Dune that wouldn't have purchased the vsti version and how many people already own Dune vsti that also use Reason would be willing to pay again for a Rack Extension version? Questions whose answers would have a bearing on any decision by Synapse.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 am

i'd like to see how many companies actually ports synths, so far no-one has said they would, FX seem way more viable
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:37 am

I agree. Effects usually have far fewer controls and would be easier to fit in the rackmount space. Porting a modular like Zebra would be quite a challenge I imagine. I think Dune would have to be completely redesigned although I don't know what width the Reason rack space is now. I've got an older version of Reason Adapted on my laptop and it's tiny.

On the subject of effects I wonder why Rich has never released an effects plugin? the IRP would be a good candidate as it's always performed well here. Some of Orion's stomp boxes might go over too....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Propellerheads are taking a leaf out of Apple's book and continuing to keep their users isolated from the rest of the world, whilst making 30% into the bargain. I really don't understand why anyone is willing to put up with shit like that.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby mattox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:09 am

That said, you don't need anything more than Reason to make music, its the usual 'learn the tools etc'.

I couldn't see them doing this any other way; they have to fit in the rack, they have to have a way to work within the Reason paradigm, VST's just don't do that.
mattox
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

mattox wrote:That said, you don't need anything more than Reason to make music, its the usual 'learn the tools etc'.

You don't need anything more than a couple of rocks to bang together to make music either. You can't record your guitar playing in Reason without a separate app so that severely limits the range of music you can make solely with Reason. The lack of VSTi support also greatly handcuffs Reason against it's competitors.....it just has fewer tools.....no amount of "learning" will overcome that fact.....The Props obviously understand that fact and are seeking to remedy the problem with Rack Extensions but in my opinion they are going about it in the wrong way........
mattox wrote:I couldn't see them doing this any other way; they have to fit in the rack, they have to have a way to work within the Reason paradigm, VST's just don't do that.

They could think outside the box or rack to be more precise. They could allow VSTi support and have rack space placeholders and when you want to open up a VSTi's gui it would open up a window the size of that plugin........like all other audio production apps that support VST/i's do now........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Teksonik wrote:They could think outside the box or rack to be more precise. They could allow VSTi support and have rack space placeholders and when you want to open up a VSTi's gui it would open up a window the size of that plugin........like all other audio production apps that support VST/i's do now........

That sounds far too sensible. Grow up :lol:
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Yes you're right. I do have a childlike fantasy about the way the world should work..... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 pm

mattox wrote:That said, you don't need anything more than Reason to make music, its the usual 'learn the tools etc'.

Realistically, you don't need Reason to make music. It is nowhere near the cheapest way into music making. But where the alternatives all allow you to learn and grow, Reason keeps you stunted within its walled garden.
I couldn't see them doing this any other way; they have to fit in the rack, they have to have a way to work within the Reason paradigm, VST's just don't do that.

The simple solution would be to alter the paradigm but then Propellerheads would have to do a shitload more work to ensure stability, work they have neatly side-stepped by closing Reason off to VST.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby mattox » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Tek - Reason 6 has audio tracks; they merged Reason and Record into 1 app, its more DAW like these days.

I only ment you don't really even need Rack Extensions in the first place.

Bones - Agreed!
mattox
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:36 am

mattox wrote:Tek - Reason 6 has audio tracks; they merged Reason and Record into 1 app, its more DAW like these days.

I only ment you don't really even need Rack Extensions in the first place.

Bones - Agreed!

Really? Recording all of six tracks and now third party plugin support......wow now we're cooking like 2001..... :mrgreen:

I certainly agree that you don't need Rack Extensions......simply because you don't need Reason...... :P

Flame On...... :dance:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby mattox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:27 am

Hehe, they added a few things a monster (in size) mixer as well:

mattox
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Wow certainly an eye full. Hard to tell from the screenshot. Is Reason skinable like.......what as the name of the 303/Drumbox thing they had? I'm drawing a blank.......

What's the max width of Reason's rack now?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby mattox » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

I don't believe its skinable.

I think the width is unlimited, not 100% sure tho, you just keep added horizontal racks.
mattox
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist