Insert Effect On All Channels At Once

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Insert Effect On All Channels At Once

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 am

Alot of my songs have many generators (like 20-30+), so adding the same mastering plugins on all
of them one at a time can be a little tedious.

I think it would be useful to be able to add a parametric eq, limiter, compressors etc, on all or multiple channels at once would speed up the workflow. I know in apps like ableton you can slide an effect inserted on the mixer to the next one, the next, etc is possible.

Would be cool if you could also insert mulitple instances of a plugin faster via the song playlist .
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Re: Insert Effect On All Channels At Once

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 am

did you try the new template system from orion 8.5 ?
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 am

I have a few kick bass templates I created but I dont really want to rely on a single template for the structure of multiple tracks. I guess I could save a template with all the inserts, will give this a shot and see how it goes.
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am

you can create many templates with your instrument and effects
synth1 -> parametric eq -> limiter -> compressors
synth2 -> parametric eq -> limiter -> compressors
synth1 -> filter -> reverb -> delay

you don't insert instrument any more but template
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby bones » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Every channel has parametric EQ already, why would you bother using a plugin? I'll also guarantee that 90% of your channels do not require any compression, either, and they certainly don't require limiters, as the Mixer has virtually unlimited headroom. As you correctly point out, these are MASTERING effects and should generally be used in the MASTER Channel, not on every, single instrument.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 am

Bones - using the equalizer on the mixer or master channels will not show you a graphic display of the first highest peak of any instrument; to my knowledgs this reveals the channels pitch ( for instance a kick drum).

ccarriers - i like your templates alot, brilliant. For what I mentioned I still must agree that someway adding or cloning a certain efffect in multiple instance IS useful. I cannot comprehend how, I leave this up to the coders, but at the very least right click add new effect on 5-10 channels for same fx is time consuming. Orion is the fasted, most intelligent music production I know of, how cannot this be useful.

Of course bone and ccarries have valid substitional points, but why must the orion community be limited so thus.
Templates and the mixer equalizer can acheive my wishlist, but only to a certain degree. Why Not Have A Clone Multiple FX InsertFunction? CAN it not increase Orion Productivity? As well compression was simply an example, I dont compress channels unless I have a ducking or multi-band compression scheme in mind. Gating a drum track to a drum track can use gating, compression, and equalization ( critical).

Im certainly not a master , but after many years of combing multiple drum and synth tracks does require advance mastering foresight and implementation, via the desire and function, humbly, of this hopefully simple request.

Also I am not a mastering genius or have ever studied under anyone labeled as such, so I dont really understand how the levels of an instrument are measured in orion. I noticed 0db is the highest settings go, which mode is this and why do the increase db volume of the mixer not overseed the volume of either a drumrack or vsti parameters
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Postby bones » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 am

UnderwaterRainbow wrote:Bones - using the equalizer on the mixer or master channels will not show you a graphic display of the first highest peak of any instrument; to my knowledgs this reveals the channels pitch ( for instance a kick drum).

So what? You mix with your ears, not your eyes. I couldn't tell you where anything was on any part of anything I've ever done, I just know when it sound right. If I was having trouble chasing something down, I might use something like Inspector as a visual aid, although I have never had to do that, but I will always rely 100% on my ears to decide when anything is right or not. So should you.
Of course bone and ccarries have valid substitional points, but why must the orion community be limited so thus.

What? Limited to doing things the correct way? There may be a million ways to do anything but only a very few of them are the right ways. I've been doing this since 1981, rather than complain that I'm not agreeing with you, you might want to take it on board. After all, I use Orion for several hours every day and I manage to record entire albums with only one or two compressor per song and I have never had to resort to any EQ other than the one in the Mixer, because it is one of the most useful and best sounding EQs I have ever come across. It easily surpasses anything I ever got to use in a commercial studio. If you are looking at a little screen that shows you a waveform, you have probably never noticed how good it is, which is your loss.
Im certainly not a master , but after many years of combing multiple drum and synth tracks does require advance mastering foresight and implementation, via the desire and function, humbly, of this hopefully simple request.

No it doesn't, it just requires a good ear and a decent Mixer. Mastering comes much, much later in the process.
Also I am not a mastering genius or have ever studied under anyone labeled as such, so I dont really understand how the levels of an instrument are measured in orion.

Again, your ears are all that matter. Someone trying to tell you in a written article needs to give you decibel numbers and krap like that but if you went to a studio, any engineer or producer worth his salt would get the level right first, then look to see what values that gave him. You seem to be trying to do it back-to-front.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby V/M » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 am

are you taking advantage of busses?

Having all of these "mastering" plugins on each and every instrument channel is probably overkill providing you with more tedium than practical results.
V/M
Professional

Return to Wishlist