DUNE3 LFO Phase reset?

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE3 LFO Phase reset?

Postby andrehorst » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:26 pm

I was playing around with the phase reset of the LFO and it did not worked as expected and i checked the manual and it says:
Poly
By default LFOs operate in a global fashion, ie all voice destinations receive the same LFO signal.When the POLY switch is enabled, however, each voice uses its own, local LFO. This allows to setup modulations which always start at zero phase, for instance.

...and...
Osc Init Phase (same for LFO init phase, because it refers back)
This parameter sets the absolute starting phase of the oscillator whenever a note is triggered.As a consequence, it will no longer be in free-run mode. Set to zero, the specified oscillatorsstarts at zero phase. An amount of +50 corresponds to a +180 degree phase shift, an amountof +100 to +360 degrees, etc. While the human hearing is largely insensitive to the starting phaseof a single oscillator, the relative phase difference between both oscillators can matter in somecases, for example when both oscillators share the exact same frequency.

So, my observation is turning Poly=Off does NOT reset the phase of the LFO when in MONO mode. I need to additionally set manually the phase in the mod matrix. And setting the phase in the mod matrix alone has no effect.

Is it a bug or is the manual wrong or what did i overlooked?
andrehorst
Novice

Re: DUNE3 LFO Phase reset?

Postby Teksonik » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:52 am

Try this......

Richard wrote:Set Sync to HOST (Settings page),

Now when you play back something, DUNE 3's LFOs and MSEGs will be synced to the sequencer PPQ position, which avoids the LFO getting retriggered. By default (i.e. the "Internal" mode), DUNE 3 will sync to the beginning of the first note played.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby andrehorst » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Teksonik wrote:Try this......

Richard wrote:Set Sync to HOST (Settings page),

Now when you play back something, DUNE 3's LFOs and MSEGs will be synced to the sequencer PPQ position, which avoids the LFO getting retriggered. By default (i.e. the "Internal" mode), DUNE 3 will sync to the beginning of the first note played.

Even if this is not realy what i was looking for i tried and even this does not work. Looks like LFO re-sync is broken.
andrehorst
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Ok then you'll have to wait for Richard or Marcin to comment. They write the code. I'm just a satisfied Dune 3 user.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm

andrehorst wrote:So, my observation is turning Poly=Off does NOT reset the phase of the LFO when in MONO mode. I need to additionally set manually the phase in the mod matrix. And setting the phase in the mod matrix alone has no effect.

I'm not sure I understand your question tbh.

The default setting for each LFO is mono, i.e. that LFO works globally and affects all voices in the same manner. This is how LFOs function in classic analog hardware synthesizers. It is not really desirable for a mono LFO to reset itself when a new voice is triggered, since this would of course affect all voices currently active, thus potentially leading to clicks or other artifacts.

More comprehensive digital synths like DUNE 3 also have the polyphonic LFO type, where each voice has its own LFO. In this mode, setting the LFO phase to a particular starting value makes sense, since it cannot have any effect on other voices. And yes this can be done via the Mod Matrix as you pointed out.

Perhaps you could elaborate further on what exactly you are trying to achieve?
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby andrehorst » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:20 am

Richard wrote:
andrehorst wrote:So, my observation is turning Poly=Off does NOT reset the phase of the LFO when in MONO mode. I need to additionally set manually the phase in the mod matrix. And setting the phase in the mod matrix alone has no effect.

I'm not sure I understand your question tbh.

The default setting for each LFO is mono, i.e. that LFO works globally and affects all voices in the same manner. This is how LFOs function in classic analog hardware synthesizers. It is not really desirable for a mono LFO to reset itself when a new voice is triggered, since this would of course affect all voices currently active, thus potentially leading to clicks or other artifacts.

More comprehensive digital synths like DUNE 3 also have the polyphonic LFO type, where each voice has its own LFO. In this mode, setting the LFO phase to a particular starting value makes sense, since it cannot have any effect on other voices. And yes this can be done via the Mod Matrix as you pointed out.

Perhaps you could elaborate further on what exactly you are trying to achieve?

Its quite simple what i want to do, i want to start the LFO always at the same position when i retrigger a note in moni and poly. And i read in the manual that the mentioned settings are exactly for this but it did not wirked as described and expected.
andrehorst
Novice

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:46 am

What you want is POLY mode then. The ability to control LFO phases per voice is the reason to have polyphonic LFOs in the first place.

So I guess we need to clarify it in the manual :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby andrehorst » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Richard wrote:What you want is POLY mode then. The ability to control LFO phases per voice is the reason to have polyphonic LFOs in the first place.

So I guess we need to clarify it in the manual :)

Ah, ok. So than its just inverse as described (or as i read it) in the manual and it needs to set up the expected phase to have it realy retrigger. Thanks for clarifying.
andrehorst
Novice

Return to Bug Reports