Dune 3.512 fast notes + Swing

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3.512 fast notes + Swing

Postby Sirous » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 pm

Dune 3.512

If you have a midi file with fast notes and add Swing to 25 % or higher Dune has a problem and stops to play all notes afterwards.

I tried to add a video and a midi file for you but both is not allowed here.
Sirous
Novice

Re: Dune 3.512 fast notes + Swing

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:15 pm

What if you put the midi in a zip file and try to upload it?

I just made a midi file with 32nd notes, imported into DUNE 3, set the Rate to 1/8th and the Swing to 25% and it plays fine up to 27% but if I increase the Swing to 28% then the Arp will stop playing after the first bar.

I ran the test again and it did stop right at 25% so it seems like there might be a bit of a variance.

So I can pretty much confirm what you're reporting and it could possibly be a bug. Let's see what Synapse has to say.....

I just tried a midi file with 16th notes and it plays fine all the way up to the full 75% Swing. It's possible there is a limit to the midi resolution in regards to Swing.

Here's the midi file I used for testing if anyone else wants to give it a go.

Test Midi 022022-1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 am

Teksonik wrote:I just tried a midi file with 16th notes and it plays fine all the way up to the full 75% Swing. It's possible there is a limit to the midi resolution in regards to Swing.

Have to see the MIDI file to tell more, but you are right either the MIDI resolution hits a ceiling, or the swing generates overlapping note on/off events by shifting them too far. Perhaps a combination of both.

Teksonik wrote:Here's the midi file I used for testing if anyone else wants to give it a go.

This seems to be 64th notes. Scaling them to 16th notes and adjusting the Arp rate accordingly fixes the issue. I would recommend anyone to do this anyway in order to get a much better resolution, not just as a workaround.

Sirous wrote:If you have a midi file with fast notes

Are the notes in the midi file properly quantized and have reasonable length (e.g. 1 tick is too short, overlapping notes is too long)? Note that the swing function generally assumes notes to be quantized. I just tried a basic pattern with 32nd notes and the Swing function caused no issues.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Sirous » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:39 am

I think I just upload the midi file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sirous
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:08 pm

Thank you for the upload. I took a quick glance at the MIDI file, the notes inside have entirely different timing (16th, 32nd and 64th notes all mixed). Tbh I'm not sure what the swing function is supposed to do in this scenario that would make sense musically. Currently the swing function assumes a constant rhythm to work as intended.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Richard wrote:This seems to be 64th notes.

You're right. I could swear they were 32nd notes yesterday....... :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Sirous » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:48 pm

Idk if it is helpful or interesting ... with the playback mode I was able to use Swing for my midi till 27 % instead of 24 % without any problems.
Sirous
Novice

Return to Bug Reports