The legend 1.31. Stuck notes in Poly-8 mode.

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

The legend 1.31. Stuck notes in Poly-8 mode.

Postby ivan234098 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:57 am

An unpleasant bug related to notes getting stuck while playing on a midi keyboard or playing midi on a track. To repeat the bug, you need:
1. Select Poly-8 mode
2. Hold down the key on the midi keyboard or start playing midi on the track
3. At the moment when the midi is being played, switch to any other mode
4. Release the key (well, or press stop in your DAW)
5. Go back to Poly-8 mode and see that the note is stuck.

It doesn't always get stuck (probability 30-50%). The probability is higher when you hold down several keys at once and switch from Poly-8 mode to any other and back (almost 100%). If the note doesn't get stuck, a short click occurs instead when switching to Poly-8 mode.

Also , the notes get stuck with this sequence of actions:
1. Select Poly-8 mode
2. Hold down the key on the midi keyboard or start playing midi on the track
3. At the moment when the midi is being played, switch the preset
4. Release the key (well, or press stop in your DAW)
5. Go back to Poly-8 mode and see that the note is stuck

And by the way, the stuck note does not turn off when switching presets. after it is stuck, it will be in all presets in Poly-8 mode. even if the preset is in mono mode, for example, when switching the mode to Poly-8, the stuck note will sound.

The note turns off when it is played again, but sometimes it did not help. The only way to reliably turn off this stuck note is a function that is called differently everywhere (panic button, alarm button, etc.). With it, I disable all midi signals in all plugins and thus the stuck note disappears.

The bug was repeated in Reaper and Studio One. I have Windows 10, an Intel Core i5 8250u processor, all the newest drivers, in general, everything is fine with the laptop. Version of The Legend 1.31.

Please fix this unpleasant bug))
ivan234098
Novice

Re: The legend 1.31. Stuck notes in Poly-8 mode.

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:29 pm

I recommend to download The Legend v1.4. I did try briefly to reproduce this issue in Studio One and some other hosts but was unable to get stuck notes anywhere when switching poly mode (in v1.4).
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby ivan234098 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:09 pm

Richard wrote:I recommend to download The Legend v1.4. I did try briefly to reproduce this issue in Studio One and some other hosts but was unable to get stuck notes anywhere when switching poly mode (in v1.4).

I attach a video proof. https://youtu.be/DqcDx_Od8Iw
I downloaded version 1.4. Enabled the VST3 plugin (unfortunately not visible in the video). And repeated this bug. In fairness, I must say that I did not immediately find notes that can get stuck like this, but they are there.
In the video, I first make the notes get stuck, and then switch presets, select Poly-8 mode and the result is visible on the video.
ivan234098
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:09 pm

Thanks for the video! I do not recall anyone reporting this, or experiencing this myself on any platform in any format. Will try somewhat harder this time to reproduce, and once we manage to it should be an easy fix. :) :music:
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kriminal » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:21 pm

I doubt switching poly mode while holding notes is something anyone has ever tried, so it's a good catch for a very rare occurance, especially as its sporadic
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:34 pm

I can sometimes reproduce the issue with version 1.4 using VST 2 and 3 in FL Studio but only if I hold notes while switching poly modes and even then it doesn't happen all the time. But then I'm using a midi keyboard and not an onscreen keyboard.

At the beginning of your video it looks like you switched modes before the notes off messages were sent from the onscreen keyboard which would naturally result in stuck notes. Also it sounds like an odd note is being triggered at the 5 second mark.

I just tried it in Cakewalk and got it to eventually reproduce the issue but it seems like that "ghost note" is what caused the stuck notes. I got one just like the one heard at the 5 second mark of the video.

EDIT: Same thing just happened in Bitwig as well.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ivan234098 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Kriminal wrote:I doubt switching poly mode while holding notes is something anyone has ever tried, so it's a good catch for a very rare occurance, especially as its sporadic

I agree that almost no one does that. But the notes also get stuck when switching a preset with Poly-8 mode to any other preset with Unison or Poly-4 or Mono mode. And this is already a significant problem) People very often switch presets while playing a midi part on a track to quickly select the desired sound. In this case, this bug happens periodically.
ivan234098
Novice

Postby ivan234098 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Teksonik wrote:I can sometimes reproduce the issue with version 1.4 using VST 2 and 3 in FL Studio but only if I hold notes while switching poly modes and even then it doesn't happen all the time. But then I'm using a midi keyboard and not an onscreen keyboard.

At the beginning of your video it looks like you switched modes before the notes off messages were sent from the onscreen keyboard which would naturally result in stuck notes. Also it sounds like an odd note is being triggered at the 5 second mark.

I just tried it in Cakewalk and got it to eventually reproduce the issue but it seems like that "ghost note" is what caused the stuck notes. I got one just like the one heard at the 5 second mark of the video.

EDIT: Same thing just happened in Bitwig as well.

Yes, the bug repeats with the midi keyboard too.
ivan234098
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Ah I see, didn't catch that part about switching presets.
Last edited by Kriminal on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:47 pm

ivan234098 wrote: People very often switch presets while playing a midi part on a track to quickly select the desired sound. In this case, this bug happens periodically.

Yes but there must be a note off message sent even when switching presets otherwise the note will continue to sound.

I don't remember anyone reporting issues when just changing presets. Which two presets cause stuck notes when just switching between them (once a note off message is sent)? If you can point out two presets I'll try them here.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ivan234098 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Teksonik wrote:
ivan234098 wrote: People very often switch presets while playing a midi part on a track to quickly select the desired sound. In this case, this bug happens periodically.

Yes but there must be a note off message sent even when switching presets otherwise the note will continue to sound.

I don't remember anyone reporting issues when just changing presets. Which two presets cause stuck notes when just switching between them (once a note off message is sent)? If you can point out two presets I'll try them here.

Any presets cause notes to get stuck, provided that you switch presets with Poly-8 mode to presets with Unison/Poly-4/Mono mode. And I described the sequence of actions that lead to notes getting stuck when switching presets in my first message.
But when switching presets, the bug does not repeat so often.
ivan234098
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:09 pm

ivan234098 wrote:Any presets cause notes to get stuck, provided that you switch presets with Poly-8 mode to presets with Unison/Poly-4/Mono mode.

I can't reproduce that here. The Legend was first released in 2016 and I don't remember seeing anyone else report the same issue in all those years. There's probably a very good reason for that. :wink:

At any rate Richard said if they can reproduce the issue they'll release a fix so let's see what the future holds. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ivan234098 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:22 pm

Teksonik wrote:
ivan234098 wrote:Any presets cause notes to get stuck, provided that you switch presets with Poly-8 mode to presets with Unison/Poly-4/Mono mode.

I can't reproduce that here. The Legend was first released in 2016 and I don't remember seeing anyone else report the same issue in all those years. There's probably a very good reason for that. :wink:

At any rate Richard said if they can reproduce the issue they'll release a fix so let's see what the future holds. 8)

I attach another video proof))) https://youtu.be/C7L_wx6DTNg
In this case, I repeat the bug in the Legend v1.31, because I couldn't repeat it in v1.4. But, since this bug was discovered for the first time, I assume that this problem with switching presets and notes getting stuck still exists in version 1.4.
1. at the beginning, I show that I chose completely random notes.
2. then I turn on playback.
3. I switch presets in accordance with the above conditions.
4. the result is stuck notes.
5. and to disable all midi signals, I use the panic button function.

The bug is also repeated when playing on a midi keyboard.
ivan234098
Novice

Postby ivan234098 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Dear developers, have you managed to reproduce the bug in all the forms described by me?
ivan234098
Novice

Return to Bug Reports