Flush buffers on DAW Stop

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Flush buffers on DAW Stop

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm

If the plugin doesn't flush its buffers when it receives a stop message from the host, any tail audio will be incorrectly included in a render, unless the user waits for the tail to stop every time.

DUNE should clear its internal buffers when it receives a stop message.
Please do this on any stop message, regardless of whether the host was playing.
abnegative
Novice

Re: Flush buffers on DAW Stop

Postby Kriminal » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Which host?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Kriminal wrote:Which host?

Reaper and FL Studio
abnegative
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:19 pm

By tails I assume you mean long release on notes or fx such as reverb?

They should continue till they come to a natural end, unless you press double stop/panic, AFAIK. (Especially when rendering)
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 pm

Kriminal wrote:By tails I assume you mean long release on notes or fx such as reverb?

They should continue till they come to a natural end, unless you press double stop/panic, AFAIK. (Especially when rendering)

Yup that's what I mean by tails.

I just tried what you described in Reaper, FL Studio, and Reason. Double pressing Stop did not kill the tail.
Can you confirm the behavior you expect? Can you elaborate on "double stop/panic"?
abnegative
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:23 pm

Double clicking stop on the transport controls in host, or pressing the 'home' key on keyboard.

This may be host specific, but I'm sure it's a common method.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Kriminal wrote:Double clicking stop on the transport controls in host, or pressing the 'home' key on keyboard.

This may be host specific, but I'm sure it's a common method.

I can confirm this method is used in FL Studio (not so much double clicking stop, but pressing stop while playback is already stopped).
With that said, double clicking stop killed the tail in another plugin (Diva), but did not do so for DUNE. DUNE did appear to have received some message, as I noticed the MIDI input light blink. However, it seems to either ignore the message or mishandle it (I could hear a sample dropout, but the tail continues).
abnegative
Novice

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:26 pm

After using a Midi Monitor in FL Studio, I see that the messages sent on double stop were irrelevant (It just reset pitch on each channel).
I know there is some message the host sends to the plugin when playback is stopped. When the plugin receives this message, it should kill all sound. Omnisphere and Diva do this successfully.
abnegative
Novice

Postby abnegative » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:59 am

I've raised this issue with other vendors. Native Instruments appears to be investigating:
https://community.native-instruments.co ... om-the-daw

Here is a demonstration of the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numTE5EW9rI
abnegative
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:13 am

Hopefully a dev will turn up and have a look...or explain why it behaves that way (its fine here, so can't help anymore)
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby abnegative » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:37 am

Thanks for checking it out Kriminal
abnegative
Novice

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, there is different forms of "stop". For instance, hitting stop on the transport bar, MIDI All notes off / all Sounds off messages, or something format-specific (e.g. VST2-specific). The latter two are also host dependent, i.e. some hosts may never send certain messages or in different situations.

Like Kriminal wrote, in Orion it would be double-click Stop or pressing the Home key, which acts as a Reset message & sends an All Notes Off message to all plug-ins.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby abnegative » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:51 am

Richard wrote:I'm not sure what you mean exactly, there is different forms of "stop". For instance, hitting stop on the transport bar, MIDI All notes off / all Sounds off messages, or something format-specific (e.g. VST2-specific). The latter two are also host dependent, i.e. some hosts may never send certain messages or in different situations.

Like Kriminal wrote, in Orion it would be double-click Stop or pressing the Home key, which acts as a Reset message & sends an All Notes Off message to all plug-ins.

Have you had a chance to watch the video demonstration? If so, does it make the issue clear?
abnegative
Novice

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:24 pm

abnegative wrote:Have you had a chance to watch the video demonstration? If so, does it make the issue clear?

Not quite. For what purpose exactly do you need this? Completely resetting the audio on just a transport stop message seems wrong ihmo. I'm pretty sure most users would object to that, and it is also guaranteed to cause issues at least for some applications.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby abnegative » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 am

Richard wrote:
abnegative wrote:Have you had a chance to watch the video demonstration? If so, does it make the issue clear?

Not quite. For what purpose exactly do you need this? Completely resetting the audio on just a transport stop message seems wrong ihmo. I'm pretty sure most users would object to that, and it is also guaranteed to cause issues at least for some applications.

I figured it would be easier to show you than tell you. Please see this video explanation:

https://youtu.be/osppgnEzeDI
abnegative
Novice

Next

Return to Bug Reports