Obsession + "Const" Pitch Fluctuation issue

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Obsession + "Const" Pitch Fluctuation issue

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:53 pm

Yes if we hold shift but I can't image why anyone would want to "fine tune" semitones. Certainly Constant to Pitch Fine would be the preferred method. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:23 pm

Fine (de) tuning 2 oscs thickens the sound, more authentic/analogue

A good option if there are not alternatives on the synth
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby MattLeschuck » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 pm

Since we have both the Semi and Fine control in the mod matrix, I think quantizing Semi would be the way to go (like you already mentioned).
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:49 pm

Kriminal wrote:Fine (de) tuning 2 oscs thickens the sound, more authentic/analogue

Yes of course and that's what Pitch Fine is for, or in the case of Obsession using the Osc 2 Detune knob.

MattLeschuck wrote:Since we have both the Semi and Fine control in the mod matrix, I think quantizing Semi would be the way to go (like you already mentioned).

That has been my whole point. On Windows the Semi is quantized as long as you don't use shift which would be silly to do in the first place. You don't "fine tune" semitones although it is possible to add or subtract Cents using Shift it's unpredictable and returns no visual feedback. In other words the numeric feedback doesn't show +7 semis and +20 cents.

I don't know how it's handled on Mac but on either platform it's better to use the proper parameters. You'll notice that no one else has complained about this in all the time since Obsession was released. That's tells us a lot.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:04 am

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Fine (de) tuning 2 oscs thickens the sound, more authentic/analogue

Yes of course and that's what Pitch Fine is for, or in the case of Obsession using the Osc 2 Detune knob.

MattLeschuck wrote:Since we have both the Semi and Fine control in the mod matrix, I think quantizing Semi would be the way to go (like you already mentioned).

That has been my whole point. On Windows the Semi is quantized as long as you don't use shift which would be silly to do in the first place. You don't "fine tune" semitones although it is possible to add or subtract Cents using Shift it's unpredictable and returns no visual feedback. In other words the numeric feedback doesn't show +7 semis and +20 cents.

I don't know how it's handled on Mac but on either platform it's better to use the proper parameters. You'll notice that no one else has complained about this in all the time since Obsession was released. That's tells us a lot.

Im not sure if you are blaming the user (me) here or not, but Im not using the pitch semi in the MM to fine tune anything (I know the difference between when to use fine and semi). I'm just trying to go up / down an octave. And when i do that it's not always in tune. Im not holding the shift key in the video or whenever I experience this and im centering things out as Richard suggests.

Either way, I just wanted to point it out as i didn't know if it was a bug or not.

Another video not using shift and centering it out, it's pretty clear to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EuUy3UuqKHrI6hupCmP1oxzXIsPL-CR8/view?usp=share_link
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:26 am

Seems to be a mac only issue, I'm sure Richard or Marcin will look into it.

PC only here, and cannot reproduce.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:43 am

Yes it is already fixed, we just need to upload new Mac build :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:27 pm

MattLeschuck wrote:Im not sure if you are blaming the user (me) here or not,

I'm not blaming anything. I simply took time out of my days to help find the cause of the issue you are having. Determining that it doesn't happen on Windows was the first step in narrowing down the cause.

Like I said early on:

Teksonik wrote:Ok it could be an issue that only affects the Mac version.

Turns out that was true and you've got a fix coming so all is good now. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:36 pm

Teksonik wrote:
MattLeschuck wrote:Im not sure if you are blaming the user (me) here or not,

I'm not blaming anything. I simply took time out of my days to help find the cause of the issue you are having. Determining that it doesn't happen on Windows was the first step in narrowing down the cause.

Like I said early on:

Teksonik wrote:Ok it could be an issue that only affects the Mac version.

Turns out that was true and you've got a fix coming so all is good now. 8)

Ok sorry about that. I just read the second half of your last post wrong. The part about "no one else has complained about this, and that tells us a lot".

And thank you for taking the time like you mentioned, I appreciate the help.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby MattLeschuck » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:42 pm

Richard wrote:Yes it is already fixed, we just need to upload new Mac build :)

As always, thanks for taking the time to acknowledge and put in a fix. You and your team are always great with the communication and that goes a long way :).
MattLeschuck
Novice

Previous

Return to Bug Reports