eq soft saturation bug

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

eq soft saturation bug

Postby suneel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 am

when using "enable soft saturation " on the mixer eq
and when the synth sound is loud after playing for while the sound will peak to infinity and remain untill
-the sfs is reloaded again
-soft saturation is turned off and on again ( the bug repeats itself again)

It is something to do with soft saturation unable to clip loud notes like low bass and the signal peaks and then sounds incorrect. But before this happens soft saturation works fine.

need the sfs (devs)?
suneel
Guru

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Woot... will have a look on that on the beta version later
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

eq soft saturation bug

Postby suneel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 pm

ok, try it on toxic3
suneel
Guru

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 am

Ok, just used a preset that's loud enough, kept mixer level at -15db, master at -18db (haven't touched the volume control on the toolbar - center position), only a Brickwall Limiter L-1 and SSL X-ISM (for measurements) on master inserts.

For initial export, tweaked EQ a little (just just maxed T3 into clipping (with L-1 on), X-ISM showing analog clipping leds going on. Export.... result is this:

Then just enabled Soft Saturation for EQ, everything else remained unchanged. It reduced the volume of T3. Result:

Left it playing in the loop for a while, nothing changed, did another export... result:

Haven't closed, haven't even saved the file at all. It's all in one shot, but if I did this right, it looks ok here.
Can you give any more details how to reproduce it accurately? Maybe I'm missing something.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

eq soft saturation bug

Postby suneel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 am

will mail you the sfs
suneel
Guru

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Sure, you can use the email address that's on this forum, I'll get it instantly, and take a look at it, see if it behaves the same or not.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

eq soft saturation bug

Postby suneel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 pm

already did on your old y-hoo id
suneel
Guru

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Oh... Ok, got. I hardly ever check that one. This one on the forum is my main now.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:44 am

Well, most unusual, for sure. It started to misbehave like you described within the first 10 seconds.
I noticed few interesting things:
1. It occurs randomly - times between two occurance can vary greatly.
2. It can recover from it on its own.
3. It occurs on both high or low volumes.
4. It is always the only one channel that goes off fully; the other one sometimes contines to play normally (or at least to my observation here), other times you can hear only ticks of it, kind of like hearing it through the high-pass filter.

Interesting bug, I have to say. It can't be a human error, that's for sure, I haven't been able to see or determine what could be the cause of that. I see that you emailed it to Richard as well, so I guess he'll take a look at it, too. Just in case he misses it in his email, I'll post this bug on the Bugs Tracker.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

eq soft saturation bug

Postby suneel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:29 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Oh... Ok, got. I hardly ever check that one. This one on the forum is my main now.
ok nxt time

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:I noticed few interesting things:
yep i had them too

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:4. It is always the only one channel that goes off fully; the other one sometimes contines to play normally (or at least to my observation here), other times you can hear only ticks of it, kind of like hearing it through the high-pass filter.
actually sometimes it flags off both( see img), but most of the time its one of the channels.

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:I see that you emailed it to Richard as well, so I guess he'll take a look at it, too. Just in case he misses it in his email, I'll post this bug on the Bugs Tracker.
ok thanks!
suneel
Guru

eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:52 pm

suneel wrote:
HYPNAGOGIA wrote:4. It is always the only one channel that goes off fully; the other one sometimes contines to play normally (or at least to my observation here), other times you can hear only ticks of it, kind of like hearing it through the high-pass filter.
actually sometimes it flags off both( see img), but most of the time its one of the channels.

I haven't seen that, but yes, I see on your images it flags both channels.
Yesterday, during the tests, I did a song export, a little over 11 minutes of it.

It was basically as I wrote. Just one of the channels goes off, the other makes barely audible "ticks".
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Re: eq soft saturation bug

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 am

Good news! :D

Marked as fixed on the Bugs Tracker. Will see in the next beta.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Bug Reports