o8 more bugs :(

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

o8 more bugs :(

Postby suneel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 am

looks like v8 has a lot of bug fixing to do, i wonder what went wrong. seriously this does not seem like the regular hi quality synapse product. Sorry if i am harsh but o8 has been a complete disappointment. i am struggling to get things done. i regret having saved my current deliverable in o8, otherwise i would have happily abandoned and gone back to o7....now on to the bugs

1. The mixer wont show all the synths, it shows till my screen size and thats it. this sfs was from v7.
It has 48 generators and does not show the last 17 generators on the mixer strip. i simply cannot get to their mixer strip

2. After stopping and playing using spacebar, sometimes there is still sound from the older patterns, although the pattern itself is not present in the current timeline in the playlist. It does not clear the buffer even after pressing stop several times. My intuition that in the asio buffer which is probably a circular array, the older stream is not getting flushed from the patterns, so it still plays those streams when it should have been flushed. One possible reason is that the new ui is gettig refreshed too often and not allowing the audio engine thread to flush the buffer.

3. the ui is soo sluggish, you simply cannot be creative if most of the time it takes a long time to open/scroll.
please Richard I plead you to bring back to same super quick ui response of v7 back in v8 or at least have a compatibility mode.

4. Audio playback is also not as smooth as v7. i can hear clicks and pops when tweaking opening new windows and moving the scroll bar.

5.On trying to tweak the sindo V2 plugin from crysonic, the response time goes to infinity. Something is amiss in v8.

All the above issues are related to UI and they seem to be affecting other parts of the workflow. I hope there will be compatibility mode so that the ui elements use the same codebase from v7.
suneel
Guru

Re: o8 more bugs :(

Postby V/M » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 am

suneel wrote:1. The mixer wont show all the synths, it shows till my screen size and thats it. this sfs was from v7.It has 48 generators and does not show the last 17 generators on the mixer strip. i simply cannot get to their mixer strip

48 :shock:
to test, i inserted 24 8-channel drum racks and was able to scroll through the mixer through all of them.
I tried adding 10 16-channel samplers after that and the mixer could not be drawn.. it's just an window with a scrollbar. I don't see this as a problem I would ever run into, though.. as having 352 channel strips is not something I would ever encounter.
V/M
Professional

Postby suneel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 am

352, ok that seems bit of an overkill from my limited perspective. most of the stuff i do, i end up having around 40 strips and that was something i got used to 2years back.

Now getting back to the issue, in my case there is no scroll bar in the mixer! Perhaps it has something to do with my screen resolution which is 2560x1600 on a 30". It shouldn't be, but perhaps the scrollbar is calculated that way, dunno.
suneel
Guru

Postby Lance » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 pm

The scrollbar should be there. Would you post a screencap?

Add another channel and see if it appears.
Lance
Guru

Postby suneel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Lance wrote:The scrollbar should be there. Would you post a screencap?
lol if the scrollbar was present i wouldnt have mentioned it. Attached is the screenshot

Lance wrote:Add another channel and see if it appears.
ok just did and the scrollbar now appears, crazy bug. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suneel
Guru

Postby Merlin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:14 pm

suneel wrote:looks like v8 has a lot of bug fixing to do, i wonder what went wrong. seriously this does not seem like the regular hi quality synapse product. Sorry if i am harsh but o8 has been a complete disappointment. i am struggling to get things done. i regret having saved my current deliverable in o8, otherwise i would have happily abandoned and gone back to o7....now on to the bugs

1. The mixer wont show all the synths, it shows till my screen size and thats it. this sfs was from v7.
It has 48 generators and does not show the last 17 generators on the mixer strip. i simply cannot get to their mixer strip

2. After stopping and playing using spacebar, sometimes there is still sound from the older patterns, although the pattern itself is not present in the current timeline in the playlist. It does not clear the buffer even after pressing stop several times. My intuition that in the asio buffer which is probably a circular array, the older stream is not getting flushed from the patterns, so it still plays those streams when it should have been flushed. One possible reason is that the new ui is gettig refreshed too often and not allowing the audio engine thread to flush the buffer.

3. the ui is soo sluggish, you simply cannot be creative if most of the time it takes a long time to open/scroll.
please Richard I plead you to bring back to same super quick ui response of v7 back in v8 or at least have a compatibility mode.

4. Audio playback is also not as smooth as v7. i can hear clicks and pops when tweaking opening new windows and moving the scroll bar.

5.On trying to tweak the sindo V2 plugin from crysonic, the response time goes to infinity. Something is amiss in v8.

All the above issues are related to UI and they seem to be affecting other parts of the workflow. I hope there will be compatibility mode so that the ui elements use the same codebase from v7.

I can confirm point 2 and 4.
With this version of Orion its sorrowly not possible and to arrange songs correct because of point 2 and to playback them because of point 4 and troubles with plugin delay compensation and therefore its not possible to realize complex and long projects. I already changed back to an other host and hope Synapse-Audio will solve the issues as soon as possibe and offer an update to registered user.
Merlin
Regular

Postby iam7zark7 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 am

You can just grab the bottom of the mixer and pull down, and the scroll-bar will appear.
You can also mouse over the mixer surface and Ctrl+mouse-wheel to scroll the mixer.

-7zark7
iam7zark7
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

The "scrollbar missing" bug is the consequence of the new UI, which brings incompatibility with V7 songs to not show right or parts go missing, like size/positions of elements (playlist out of place and size, mixer and master in default places).
The scrollbar bug can be corrected by either adding a new channer, or sizing down and up (horizontally) the entire mixer.
Sure, it's a bug, but not a really big one. To me it's more annoying than disturbing.

Merlin wrote:
suneel wrote:2. After stopping and playing using spacebar, sometimes there is still sound from the older patterns, although the pattern itself is not present in the current timeline in the playlist. It does not clear the buffer even after pressing stop several times. My intuition that in the asio buffer which is probably a circular array, the older stream is not getting flushed from the patterns, so it still plays those streams when it should have been flushed. One possible reason is that the new ui is gettig refreshed too often and not allowing the audio engine thread to flush the buffer.

I can confirm point 2 and 4.
With this version of Orion its sorrowly not possible and to arrange songs correct because of point 2 and to playback them because of point 4 and troubles with plugin delay compensation and therefore its not possible to realize complex and long projects. I already changed back to an other host and hope Synapse-Audio will solve the issues as soon as possibe and offer an update to registered user.

I don't get either of those issues here.

I would guess #4 might happen, depending on the graphic system in your computer (graphic card capabilities, screen resolution), and on the complexity of the project, like lots of graphic rich synths with lots of visuals.

Can one of you two tell if there's a way to recreate the #2 issue? I use play/stop functions all the time (just like all of us do, in any way), and most of the time if the playhead is at the middle of the pattern, it just wouldn't play that/those patterns until a new pattern is triggered, but I've never had it playing a pattern that's not there.
So, a little help in recreating it would help testing it. Sadly, it's not enough to just confirm as it gets harder to fix for Rich when we can't give pointers what might be the cause.

suneel wrote:5.On trying to tweak the sindo V2 plugin from crysonic, the response time goes to infinity.

What do you mean it goes to infinity? Does it become like non-responsive or something else?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Merlin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:The "scrollbar missing" bug is the consequence of the new UI, which brings incompatibility with V7 songs to not show right or parts go missing, like size/positions of elements (playlist out of place and size, mixer and master in default places).
The scrollbar bug can be corrected by either adding a new channer, or sizing down and up (horizontally) the entire mixer.
Sure, it's a bug, but not a really big one. To me it's more annoying than disturbing.

Merlin wrote:
suneel wrote:2. After stopping and playing using spacebar, sometimes there is still sound from the older patterns, although the pattern itself is not present in the current timeline in the playlist. It does not clear the buffer even after pressing stop several times. My intuition that in the asio buffer which is probably a circular array, the older stream is not getting flushed from the patterns, so it still plays those streams when it should have been flushed. One possible reason is that the new ui is gettig refreshed too often and not allowing the audio engine thread to flush the buffer.

I would guess #4 might happen, depending on the graphic system in your computer (graphic card capabilities, screen resolution), and on the complexity of the project, like lots of graphic rich synths with lots of visuals.

Can one of you two tell if there's a way to recreate the #2 issue? I use play/stop functions all the time (just like all of us do, in any way), and most of the time if the playhead is at the middle of the pattern, it just wouldn't play that/those patterns until a new pattern is triggered, but I've never had it playing a pattern that's not there.
So, a little help in recreating it would help testing it. Sadly, it's not enough to just confirm as it gets harder to fix for Rich when we can't give pointers what might be the cause.

To point 2:
Lets say you have a long pattern with 1024 bars begining at bar 65 and start it. Then you stop playback at bar 100 and jump to bar 33 where are other shorter patterns and start at bar 33 then still the long pattern with 1024 bars lenghts is also played back.
In my case it let to totally sound mess because I have 3 long patterns. When I playback these long patterns and jump to a point before the long patterns and start then, the patterns at this point AND the long patterns are played back. With this sound mess its impossible to work seriously.
To point 4: ( audio crackles and window movings )
The issue with audio crackles and plugin delay compensation has already been posted in the Topic "CPU Spikes" and I have given a proof.
The audio crackles together with window movings is also a fact because it doesn't happen with Orion 7.6 and also doesn't happen with Sonar or Cubase with the same PC hardware.
A fast fix and update would be recommanded in order to make serious use of Orion 8.
Thanks !
Merlin
Regular

Postby Eklectro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

I noticed a few bugs too...
I hae to read all the report to see if there have already been reported ...

opening V7 projet and number of channel
does not show générator sometimes when clicking the pattern on the playlist
some display bug with mixer's windows
I had plugins that worked in V7 that crash here when reloaded (Roger nich uniqualizer for isntance)
very very long export time.. (like 5 time the track duration) maybe not a bug... but owww

will check this later
tchus
AL
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

Return to Bug Reports