DEATHLY QUIET! Lives!

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DEATHLY QUIET! Lives!

Postby bones » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:11 am

I was very productive over the Easter lockdown period - I finally got around to cleaning up all my old solo recordings and putting them up onto BandCamp -

https://deathlyquiet1.bandcamp.com/

Included are both the albums I recorded, the single from 1986, a few more studio tracks from various sessions and quite a few things I recorded live at home, long before I had anything you'd call a "studio". They represent the period from 1986, only a year or so after I first got up on stage, to 1996, which was the end of the line for DEATHLY QUIET! and the start of NOVAkILL. It seemed like such a huge chunk of my life but NOVAkILL has been going more than two-and-a-half times longer.

All of this stuff was recorded with hardware. The earliest songs would have been CZ101, DX-9, DW8000 and maybe a smattering of SH101 and Korg Delta, with a TR707 providing drums and MIDI timing for the Yamaha QX7 sequencer.

For the Transmission album you get a run through what I'm using in the first track, Preamble. I used the M1 on a couple of songs but I had only recently bought it so the SQD-1 was still doing all the sequencing and the drums mostly came from a Korg DDD-1. Most of the synth sounds were from the ESQ-M, which remains one of my favourites, with the DSS-1 doing the sorts of sounds you'd expect of a sampler.

By the time I recorded originalREALITYslammer, I had graduated to an O1R/W and an Ensoniq ASR-10. The ASR does all the guitar parts, using a DP4 for effects. It was the only outboard effects unit I ever really used, apart from a Digitech multi-effects unit I had for my vocals.

The other recordings were all done live at home and use some combination of these set-ups, with whatever shitty mixer I had at the time. You can also hear the Akai S612 on a couple of tracks and a Roland U110, which did great guitar when you ran it through a distortion pedal.
Last edited by bones on Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Re: DEATHLY QUIET! Lives!

Postby Christophe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Awesome, i will listen them :dance:
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby ufo » Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Hey Wazza

These are great!
I have only got through half of them so far.

Forever John Wayne reminds me of the early Cabaret Voltaire which I love.
I really dig the Manipulate (both vers) and the Cyberland.

Great sound for bedroom producer! great work.

Peace
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby bones » Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 am

Actually, Things (Are Different Now) started life as an attempt to do something like Blue Heat off Cabaret Voltaire's Micro-Phonies album. You can hear it in the intro but it quickly diverges into its own thing. Unfortunately that recording is a little less than pristine, there is a bit where you can hear tape damage but I wanted to put it out anyway.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Music & Stuff