ORION Sampler Filter Envelope

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

ORION Sampler Filter Envelope

Postby BMS » Wed May 25, 2022 1:05 pm

Hello there, Long time since I've posted on here! Hope you are well?

Now that I've got the automatic feigned interest* out the way I have an ORION question!

I've been transferring a few old projects across into REAPER with MIDI, mainly using Reasamplomatic5000 to replace the sampler in ORION and Kontakt where I need extra control, (sample start/velocity modulation etc) & it's been going pretty well.

Last night on one particular project I'm transferring I was fiddling about for a lot longer than I'd like to nail the same behaviour where the ORION samplers filter opened and closed.

I Couldn't seem to replicate it in Kontakt, or a handful of other plugins. I did get close with Volcano put in series after the sampler but it just didn't have the same speed of opening and closing that ORIONS filt env has.

For example I have 4 notes playing in a pattern in ORIONs sampler, the LP is set moderately low (33 out of 127) and the Filter ENV has a slight attack and a very short decay and release, it seems I get a WAW WAW WAW WAW opening and closing, nice and fast.

Just musing while I'm away from the computer, I'll probably figure it out later having a bit more of a play, I know I'm sort of answering my own question here as it stands to reason from the explanation. Am I right in thinking that the Filter Envelope is affecting the cut-off, and that it is retriggering on every note, rather than a global sort of legato sweep over all of the notes? any other behaviours that are going on here I might be missing?

if so I'll have to figure out how or what to use as a replacement & if I can get the Konkat group effects>filter>envelope to do the same and retrigger. Or just bite the bullet and sample it and bring it over into REAPER,

Sometimes I wish I could load the ORION sampler in REAPER though as I still quite like the filter on it, but I know that's a non starter, lol.

Thanks

*No really, do hope you are all well. :lol:
BMS
Regular

Re: ORION Sampler Filter Envelope

Postby Kriminal » Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 am

BMS wrote:Am I right in thinking that the Filter Envelope is affecting the cut-off, and that it is retriggering on every note

Yes

Turn the filter env amt up and down to hear difference
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Re: ORION Sampler Filter Envelope

Postby BMS » Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Brilliant Krim, thanks

Thought that's what might be happening once I stopped to think about it

not sure I've played with the Amt before either, will give that a shot and listen intently.

Funny how I couldn't get the filter sounding as good in any other sampler I've tried though...

not sure if that's testament to me being crap or the ORION samplers filters being great

Bit of both probably! :mrgreen:
BMS
Regular

Return to Tips'n'tricks