Level Key Follow / Balancing

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Level Key Follow / Balancing

Postby GRUMP » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi there,

this is something between a Question and a Statement and maybe a Feature Request.

I have frequently tried to balance my Sounds over the Keyboard Range with either Keyfollow or Freqtrack and all different Targets affecting the Amplitude, but the Results were always dissatisfying.

Source: Keytrack or Freqtrack
Amt: negative to damp the higher Keys/Frequencys
Destination: OSC x Volume, Amp Level, Mixer Volume, Master Volume

The overall Volume decreases over the whole KB-Range with negative Modulation Amount Values and the Difference between the upper and the lower Notes doesn´t seem to get much bigger.

Is it maybe a Problem of my Installation?
Any Suggestions anyone?

Thank you in advance!
GRUMP
Novice

Re: Level Key Follow / Balancing

Postby Kriminal » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 pm

might help if you say what synth it is....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:23 pm

If you're talking about Dune 3 then try this:

D3 020820-1.png

Then adjust to taste. Those settings get you lowered volume on the upper keys. Reverse to get less volume on the lower keys. You can also add Freqtrack to Master Volume to sort of adjust the "break point". The three can also work at Osc Volume as well. Just experiment until you get what you're looking for.

Here's the raw patch:

D3 Key Tracking.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby GRUMP » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Teksonik wrote:If you're talking about Dune 3 then try this:

D3 020820-1.png

Then adjust to taste. Those settings get you lowered volume on the upper keys. Reverse to get less volume on the lower keys. You can also add Freqtrack to Master Volume to sort of adjust the "break point". The three can also work at Osc Volume as well. Just experiment until you get what you're looking for.

Here's the raw patch:

D3 Key Tracking.zip

Thanks for your Support, Richard! I´d prefer a bigger Spread in this Case and also expected it.
BTW I frequently achive billiant and really "natural" and "soulful" Results by adjusting the Keyfollow differently for each (Sample) Layer. This Possibility is a big Step towards really "musical" Results.

I solved the Issue with Filter+Volume Keytracking in this Case. Sounds great, too.
GRUMP
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:08 pm

GRUMP wrote:Thanks for your Support, Richard!

I'm not Richard. I'm just a Dune 3 user who prefers to enjoy it for the great synth that it is rather than complain about it. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks