wavetable wavs

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

wavetable wavs

Postby revenant_01 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:36 pm

hi,

im getting used to editing wavetables, does anyone have a resource of wavs that will be compatible with dune 3?

im trying to go for a morphing string section sound but im not having much luck with the default wavetables.

im also looking into creeating my own importable wavs, but i still need time to digest the manual.

many thanks!
revenant_01
Novice

Re: wavetable wavs

Postby Teksonik » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:10 pm

The free Adventure Kid waveforms work well to create Wavetables. Load them one at a time to create your table at the length you wish:

https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

Mark sells a huge collection of 2500 WTs for £10 which I imagine has every WT you could ever want:

https://charlesdickens.neocities.org/index.html

Of course you can hand draw your own waveforms to create tables. DUNE 3's WT editor is quite powerful. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby revenant_01 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:14 pm

cheers bud!

will definitely check those out! i think its not so much the wavetables i have as it is i'm still not so sure how to use them.

any advice for how to eye up a set of wavetables to see if theyre going to get the sound i want or is it just experimentation ad infinitum?

revenant_01
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:32 pm

Well there is no better way than to just listen to how they sound but a general rule is the more complex the wav looks the more complex it will sound (more harmonics etc).

You can experiment by drawing your own waveforms in the WT Editor. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby revenant_01 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 am

duly noted!

is dune a great platform for evolving wavetables like serum? really looking for an orchestra or string section being tuned type of evolving sound.

do you mind me asking what would be your go to for that? any advice is incredibly helpful,

thank you \m/
revenant_01
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:52 am

revenant_01 wrote:is dune a great platform for evolving wavetables like serum?

DUNE 3 is a perfect platform for evolving wavetables, far superior to Serum. D3 can do 16 different wavetables in one patch.

revenant_01 wrote:really looking for an orchestra or string section being tuned type of evolving sound.

Sorry I can't help you there. You might be better off using the Sample Oscs for that task.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby John_W_Thompson » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:48 am

First post thanks for allowing me to be here as a guest.

I know Éric Mouquet (Deep Forest) does work with natural source sounds. You can hear it. I don't know if he's sampling exclusively, or making wavetables using natural audio sources. Because he plays a lot of sounds that sound like they could be an instrument, but you can't identify it. I want to try to do what he does sometime, and I was planning to take like a string sample or whatever, then take a few select single cycles from that, into the WT editor, and allow the synth engine to interpolate new intermediate waves, or else just use the "interpol" on the front panel.
"The most negative people are usually the ones with the least to offer." - unk
John_W_Thompson
Novice

Postby John_W_Thompson » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:26 pm

To get evolving waveforms it can be useful to load two wildy different harmonically rich single cycle waves into the first and last wave and then use "Morph Wavetable" and it will calculate intermediates in a savable wavetable. There is no point to adding intermediate waveforms in this particular editor, according to the manual, as all intermediates are overwritten. The first and last wave are the only inputs. But then again, you can make a wavetable by loading of a number of disparate single cylce waves, and then on the front panel select smooth (100%) interpolation, and the engine will render audible intermediates. They just wont be saved in a wavetable.
"The most negative people are usually the ones with the least to offer." - unk
John_W_Thompson
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks