Capture my voice.

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Capture my voice.

Postby Griefa » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Hello, can I record my voice in Orion? How do I utilize it on an audio track? Thank you.
Griefa
Novice

Re: Capture my voice.

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:17 pm

I'm writing this regardless of what hardware you have and how it's set up. That you will have to figure out by yourself, but the principle is that you should have a microphone connected to your audio interface (be it external, a PCIe card or integrated), and that your settings in Windows should be set up so that you can hear it working.

With that in mind, and out of the way, to record in Orion you need to do this:

1. Enable input
Go to Options -> Audio Input Settings
Driver type and Input Device should be the same as Output Device. If you change it, Orion will change your output as well.
✅ Enable Input - this is mandatory so it will work.
Turn Monitor Input if you need to, otherwise leave it off. In certain cases, having it on can result in feedback.
Mono... you can turn that on if it's only recording microphone, but leaving it off will work too.
Pick your Recording Bit Depth: 16 or 24/32-bit
Leave additional input latency, unless you're using high-end audio interface with low latency.

2. Song Mode
Orion can only record to Audio Track in Song mode. So switch to Song in the toolbar.

3. Insert Audio Track with Inputs
You can right-click anywhere on empty background (or go to Insert menu) and select Audio Track -> Stereo Input X/Y, where X/Y is the number of input channel your microphone is connected to. If you only have one mic input, it's usually going to be Stereo Input 1/2.
You can change the number of the input channel by bringing up the Playlist and right clicking on the Audio Track -> Select Input, where you can pick another pair of inputs to try if it will pick your voice from the mic input.

4. Arm the track
In the Playlist, click on the record button on the Audio Track you want to record to. If you can't see the Mute/Solo/Arm buttons, you'll need to zoom in vertically. Should be visible by default.
Arming the track for recording will also turn Record button on on the main toolbar.

5. Count-in (optional)
If you want a count-in ticks before recording begins, click on the Metronome button on the main toolbar, and set the number of quarter notes. 4 = 1 bar, 8 = 2 bars, etc. The metronome will then "count" by making clicking sound (like the drummer with sticks) before the recording starts. You can skip this if you don't want the count-in at all.

6. Record
All you need to do is to press the Play button (or spacebar on your keyboard) and the recording will begin.
When you're done recording, press Stop button (or spacebar again) to stop recording. The record button will turn off.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks