Dubstep

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dubstep

Postby 6daylater » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 am

Hi guys..,
I have a few friends that want me to make them a dubstep song. I've made dubstep soundtracks in the past, with a different program that I no longer have. So I was wondering, is there a way to make dubstep or dubstep-like music in Orion? If there is, could someone give me some pointers. Or if anyone knows where I can find some tutorials, please let me know.
6daylater
Novice

Re: Dubstep

Postby DaZoid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am

Hi,

I just played around a bit. I think the main thing about dubstep is the wobbler bassline. Just tried with Massive.

http://www.gabrielknight.de/Music/dubstep.mp3

It's pretty easy to create even if this tiny tune is not great. But it took me 10 minutes.

For dubstep, NI's MASSIVE generator is the choice. Pretty sure many dubstep producers use MASSIVE. You can also find some videos on youtube how to create a wobbler with MASSIVE.

Not sure which Orion generator I would choose for the wobbler as I prefer MASSIVE when it comes to massive and dirty basslines. : )

Cheers
DaZoid
DaZoid
Guru

Postby mattox » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 am

You can make any kind of music you want in Orion.

What kind of info do you want? How to make a wobble bass? Drum patterns?

A little more info and I'm sure we can get you on your way to making something awesome.

I'm going to be starting video tutorial soon on how to make dubstep in Orion, but its a month or two away.
mattox
Regular

Postby 6daylater » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks gusy.... I've literally been at my computer all day. I think i have everything down, except for the most important part.... The drop. I'm not really sure how to do that yet. Hopefully I'll find out.
Thanks,
6daylater
6daylater
Novice

Postby DaZoid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 am

6daylater wrote:Thanks gusy.... I've literally been at my computer all day. I think i have everything down, except for the most important part.... The drop. I'm not really sure how to do that yet. Hopefully I'll find out.
Thanks,
6daylater

What's the Drop? Example?
DaZoid
Guru

Postby 6daylater » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Drop is the main bassy part of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzfTZlEl40
6daylater
Novice

Postby V/M » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 pm

are you talking about the way to create that section of the song through building up suspense.. or are you just talking about how to make a "wobble bass", which I understand to mostly just be bass with heavy LFO modulation?
V/M
Professional

Postby 6daylater » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:19 am

Mainly, I don't understand how to creat the "Wobble Bass" part of the song....
6daylater
Novice

Postby Reny » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:07 am

6daylater wrote:Mainly, I don't understand how to creat the "Wobble Bass" part of the song....

Then, my friend, you need to take a look at Youtube. Type in just ''dubstep bass'' and there you go, will be a lot, really, a lot of nice tutorials, presets and more. You can't imagine how much Youtube helped me. It's a really great place to find solutions to almost all problems, and look at me now, working with Major Artists. :wink:

Try it, man, for real.

Best wishes,
R.T. Productions (http://www.soundclick.com/rtproductionsofficial)
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Postby 6daylater » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 am

Youtube helped you with orion?
Cause every time I search orion tutorials in youtube, theres nothing.... as if no one on youtube has even heard of it....
But i'll take your word for it, and try.... again
6daylater
Novice

Postby V/M » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:07 am

If you want to learn a particular genre, especially one as popular and formulaic as dubstep, there are going to be tons of tutorials out there. the name of the software doesn't really matter so much. if it's a tutorial using cubase, ableton live, flstudio, whatever.. how to make dubstep is going to be the same; the only difference is you can't just mindlessly follow step by step click on this button click on that button. and that's probably for the best.
V/M
Professional

Postby mattox » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:42 am

He is right tho, there is sweet FA videos / tutorials out there for people interested in Orion, even for people just to stumble on...

Some would say this is a good thing since it could mean we are all busy making tunes. :)
mattox
Regular

Postby kmatm » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:09 am

Listen here for an audio tutorial (of a sort).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYhneTczXo

I have a very limited capacity for dubstep, I describe it to people as taking all the best elements of dub and drum & bass and throwing them out the window, and I like electronic music. Occasionally has some great production, but every song sounds exactly the same as some of the tracks are just plain awful.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby Reny » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:26 pm

6daylater wrote:Youtube helped you with orion?
Cause every time I search orion tutorials in youtube, theres nothing.... as if no one on youtube has even heard of it....
But i'll take your word for it, and try.... again

No, it shows how to make that particular sound on different VSTi, usually Native-Instruments Massive. Btw, if you want to get serious on making Dubstep, you will need Massive, because it's ultimate bomb in Dubstep, every Major Dubstep Artist are using it, usually only using it. Like I heard about House producers and Sylenth. :)

Best wishes,
R.T. Productions (http://www.soundclick.com/rtproductionsofficial)
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Postby Christophe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

you can try alchemy with the dubstep soundbank
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks