Help identifying key

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Help identifying key

Postby harry2011 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Could someone with some musical theory knowledge please help ?

I've written a phrase for piano that I like using G, G flat (or F #), E and E flat (or D #)

I need help identifying what key this is..

Thank you for reading..
harry2011
Novice

Re: Help identifying key

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm

If you mean that the notes are in chord (all playing at once, for example), I can only say it sounds like an awful noise to me :? It does seem like they could be rooting around E or G... well, obviously :lol: but E sounds more prominent to me, though.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby dodgyg1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Interesting. If the notes played in the phrase all had the same note length, unaccented and played with the same dynamic and timbre each of the four notes would carry equal weight and as such all four could be deemed the tonic.

However you most likely will find that one of the four notes has a total duration in the phrase longer than the rest. In which case that note would become the tonal centre.

Another interpretation could be E minor with the D# being a lower auxillary to the note E and the F# being a lower auxillary to the note G which itself is the minor third from E.

Alternatively it could be deemed to be in Eb minor with the E being an upper auxillary note (chromatic) and the G being an upper auxillary to the note Gb which is the minor third from Eb.

Other interpretations are possible. Really difficult to be more exact without seeing the phrase but hopefully one of the four above will fit.
dodgyg1
Novice

Postby harry2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 am

Thank you both, especially dodgyg1.
When I say phrase, I simply meant that the 4 notes were played in succession, one after the other, not together as chords. So I'm looking for the key that has a G, an E, an E flat and a G flat . The E flat may also be a D# and the G flat also a F #.

I've looked at scales and their notes, but cannot see the 4 notes I want in any ordinary major or minor key. I'm beginning to think that I've put the wrong 4 notes together.. although they sound okay to my ears played one after another. If I can't identify the key, I'll have to change the G to a G# and call it the key of E major /c# minor.

Bit baffled right now :?:
harry2011
Novice

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 am

It looks like it's based on E melodic minor:

E F# G A B C# D#
Mark

Postby dodgyg1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 am

Mark's answer is compatible with my third answer and is the most likely.
dodgyg1
Novice

Postby harry2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:39 pm

E melodic minor it is. Thank you all so much for helping me. It's much appreciated.
harry2011
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks