Dune 3 scale snap

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3 scale snap

Postby orionsbelt369 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 am

basically a feature to globally lock or individually lock an oscillator to any selection of notes, the synth vital has this feature and having this in dune would allow you to use dune 3s msegs as sequencers, you can make some pretty crazy sequences with an lfo/mseg, so long as you can snap/quantize to a major/minor scale/key, you could even make microtonal sequences like that.. hope you think about it, I think that would be an amazing feature for any synth so Im recommending it to all synth devs :)
orionsbelt369
Novice

Re: Dune 3 scale snap

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 pm

You can actually do something similar with wavetables. I've attached a couple of simple examples to show you how.

MH MSEG+WT as Arp.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:35 pm

That's pretty cool. 8)

How do you determine what pitch each frame of the WT generates?

To the OP you can already use the MSEGs to do pitch sequencing but it's a bit fiddly.

I've been asking for "Snap to Semitone" in the MSEG grid for quite some time which would make pitch sequencing easier.

I've used the feature in Vital that you're talking about and it is cool. Not sure it would be my first feature request for DUNE 3 but I wouldn't turn it down. :)

For those unfamiliar with Vital this is what he's talking about.....

Vital 011421-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Edit: never mind...... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:03 pm

In the wavetable equation editor simply type in n/12 where n is the number of semitones that you want to shift. You can shift down by using negative numbers.

If you want the range to be more than +/-12 semitones then change the 12 to what you want making sure to make the appropriate adjustment in the mod matrix.
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:05 pm

Wow that's so easy even I can do it..... :P

Brilliant discovery Mark. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby orionsbelt369 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:10 am

Teksonik wrote:That's pretty cool. 8)

How do you determine what pitch each frame of the WT generates?

To the OP you can already use the MSEGs to do pitch sequencing but it's a bit fiddly.

I've been asking for "Snap to Semitone" in the MSEG grid for quite some time which would make pitch sequencing easier.

I've used the feature in Vital that you're talking about and it is cool. Not sure it would be my first feature request for DUNE 3 but I wouldn't turn it down. :)

For those unfamiliar with Vital this is what he's talking about.....

Vital 011421-1.png

yeah having scale snap in dune 3 like in vital would be amazing for me
orionsbelt369
Novice

Postby orionsbelt369 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:15 am

Mark wrote:You can actually do something similar with wavetables. I've attached a couple of simple examples to show you how.

MH MSEG+WT as Arp.zip

this is cool but not really the same as oscillator or global scale snap, if you set scale snap in vital to c major you can draw a random sequence pattern and its "quantized" to c major or whatever scale you select
orionsbelt369
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:45 pm

What's the point of having a C Major scale play for any key you hit when using Global Snap?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby orionsbelt369 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:57 pm

SEQ TEMPLATE.vital.zip

Teksonik wrote:What's the point of having a C Major scale play for any key you hit when using Global Snap?

I use global scale snap in vital with c major so I can use lfos as mseg and draw random sequences that will be in c major and transposable via midi but remaining in c major unless I transpose out of c major with fine tune, I assign macro 1 to fine tune of all oscillators 5 times that way .1 on the macro transposes up from c major into the next scale, here I have included my vital sequence template so you can see how I set it up :) hope this helps, I dream of scale lock for dune 3, it would really put the mid sequencers engine to use and the msegs would be so fun to make sequences with
orionsbelt369
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:57 pm

Oh I've used the Transpose Snap function for a lot of patches in Vital going all the way back to the early access version but I don't use Global Snap.

I would be happy if the Transpose Snap feature were added to DUNE 3 but I don't know if it's on the to-do list. I imagine there are enough feature requests to keep Synapse busy for quite awhile and we never know if any request is a matter of a few hours work or a few months of work to implement and test.

So we'll just have to take advantage of what DUNE 3 can do now such as Mark's method and see what the future holds. 8)

Vital patch:
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist