Wish for Orion 9

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Wish for Orion 9

Postby heks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 am

My humble wishes, nothing life changing just little things that some other users may find useful 8)
If a plugin doesn't show it Orion, dragging it from explorer onto Orion,s desktop would force the obstinate plugin checker to submit :roll: and include it in the plugin list. So it did whatever it needed to do quietly in the background :lol:
Clicking on an empty insert would show "user favourite" pluggins/effect, not the list that goes down the screen as now. Of course clicking on an empty part of the desktop, GIU, whatever you want to call it would show all pluggins as now.
I'd like to be able to resize Orion's effects, some are so small to my ancient eyes on this 27" screen, , , probably need my eyes testing again :oops:
And finally (for now) probably undo-able but something to record the midi as midi patterns from pluggins like catanya or even Dune2's "output" when playing an arp controlled by a pattern in the piano roll.
heks
Apprentice

Re: Wish for Orion 9

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:32 am

heks wrote: show "user favourite" pluggins/effect, not the list that goes down the screen as now.

A plugin manager has long been one of my wishes for Orion. After using them in other hosts I find the ability to organize how your plugins display is very convenient.

Another wish I've had lately is Custom Key Bindings. For example in other hosts I've got my mouse back/forward buttons programmed to open the load Templates screen and Insert New Plugin. I've got the number pad programmed to view Mixer, Track View, Piano Roll etc....insert new item, set loop length etc etc......very efficient instead of searching the qwerty keyboard for hard wired key shortcuts....... :)

Like you said nothing life changing and I'm sure there are more important areas which could use some focus but as long as we're wishing............ :mrgreen:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 am

About the 2nd wish. I think the best option is to "copy" the Cubase plugin search engine.

I mean, when you click over the insert, you get a text box and/or the dropdown plugins menu. You can click over a plugin or type the name in the search box, which is the fastest way if you have a keyboard.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:15 pm

How many plugins do you ppl have that you need an 'organiser'?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby heks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Kriminal wrote:How many plugins do you ppl have that you need an 'organiser'?

Dont know about anyone else but, I have to own up as a hoarder and before anyone starts, I get enough grief from the wife about stuff I save :evil:but I never get praise when I fix something with an Item that I have been "saving" :cowboy: Suppose I could have a clear out, but things seem to creep back into my vst folder, , , just checked I've still got pluggins in my folder from 2001 :roll:
heks
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

heks wrote:Clicking on an empty insert would show "user favourite" pluggins/effect, not the list that goes down the screen as now. Of course clicking on an empty part of the desktop, GIU, whatever you want to call it would show all pluggins as now.

So, basically, adding an extra step to assign it if you want to add a new effect.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby heks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:23 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
So, basically, adding an extra step to assign it if you want to add a new effect.

Not sure what you mean Hynpa, I was thinking "new effect" then "favourite" same amount of clicks as now. Of course there would need to be a way to add to favourites. If the "vst" link from "new effect" opened same as it does when clicking on the desktop it would be better, not a scroll. Sorry, I'm not sure if that comes over right?
heks
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 pm

heks wrote:Not sure what you mean Hynpa, I was thinking "new effect" then "favourite" same amount of clicks as now. Of course there would need to be a way to add to favourites. If the "vst" link from "new effect" opened same as it does when clicking on the desktop it would be better, not a scroll. Sorry, I'm not sure if that comes over right?

Well, let me see if I got your original idea right.

Let's say you have all your effects, and among them you have your favorites.
When you click on the insert slot, you get the favorites selection, and when you click on an empty workspace (like outside mixer, on wallpaper), you get the entire effects selection. If that's true, then you would have to go through an extra step to assign that effect to an insert slot when you want to add an effect that's not in your favorites selection. Ideally, for that to you would get both selections.

I personally have tons of effects and instruments (lots of freebies that I tried and used at some point)... but none of them go outside of my screen, since they're all sorted into folders. FWIW, that basically works for your favorites selection too.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby heks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote: when you click on an empty workspace (like outside mixer, on wallpaper), you get the entire effects selection. If that's true, then you would have to go through an extra step to assign that effect to an insert slot when you want to add an effect.

That's what I have to do now, I get tried of scrolling down the list to get to the one I want.
heks
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 pm

heks wrote:That's what I have to do now, I get tried of scrolling down the list to get to the one I want.

I don't get it, do what? You can right click on any insert (or sent for that matter) and assign an effect right there.

As for the scrolling list... you may be a hoarder (I am one as well, to an extent), but doesn't mean you can't be an organized one ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Orion itself have around 50. :mrgreen:
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 pm

It's not so much about how many but how organized..............

And no I'm not moving .dlls and creating manual folders etc......we had that discussion half a decade ago. Like I said it wouldn't be my first request for Orion but it's in the top five....along with custom key bindings....:)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:38 am

Organising them yourself is far and away the best way to keep things current and relevant. I think I'd still do it that way even if Orion did have some way of attempting to organise them for me.
heks wrote:I'd like to be able to resize Orion's effects, some are so small to my ancient eyes on this 27" screen, , , probably need my eyes testing again :oops:

If you mean Orion's native plugin UI (for GUI-less plugins), I can make you a bigger one if it helps. It would only be 10 minutes work.
Teksonik wrote:
heks wrote: show "user favourite" pluggins/effect, not the list that goes down the screen as now.

A plugin manager has long been one of my wishes for Orion. After using them in other hosts I find the ability to organize how your plugins display is very convenient.

You can organise them now by creating folders inside the VST folder. If you want your favourites to show up first, make a folder called "_Favourites" and put them into it or, better still, put everything else into folders and only leave your favourites out by themselves.
Another wish I've had lately is Custom Key Bindings.

Maybe when Rich can afford to hire another 20 programmers but I can't see it being terribly high on his to-do list. I'd also suggest other hosts need that kind of thing far more than Orion does. e.g. What could be easier than right-clicking to add a new instrument or effect?
heks wrote: Suppose I could have a clear out, but things seem to creep back into my vst folder, , , just checked I've still got pluggins in my folder from 2001 :roll:

Just make a folder called "Disused" or something and throw them all in there. I've got a folder called "BackCompatibility" for old plugins that have fallen into disuse but still appear now and then in old songs. The only VSTi in my list are the ones we use regularly, which is less than a dozen.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:17 am

bones wrote:Organising them yourself is far and away the best way to keep things current and relevant..

No it's not. If you actually used a manager you'd realize that. I have plugins in several different folders...Sonar has it's own plugins and structure, same for Reaper. Using a plugin manager is far easier than moving plugins around manually. Plus I can have the same plugin in multiple folders.....TRacks all in it's folder, but with the TRacks EQ's, in another folder without having multiple .dlls. See the screenshot....that took me less than five minutes and if I want to change it only a couple more minutes all without worrying about breaking copy protection or links with sample content etc....Yes if you only have Wasp and a couple of Synth Edit plugins you don't need a plugin manager..........but we aren't you........ :wink:

bones wrote:You can organise them now by creating folders inside the VST folder..

Maybe you missed this part:
Teksonik wrote:And no I'm not moving .dlls and creating manual folders etc......we had that discussion half a decade ago.

bones wrote:Maybe when Rich can afford to hire another 20 programmers but I can't see it being terribly high on his to-do list. I'd also suggest other hosts need that kind of thing far more than Orion does. e.g. What could be easier than right-clicking to add a new instrument or effect?.

Ahhh yes Bones back in feature crushing mode again...all is well in Orion land......... :lol: 20 Programmers, hilarious. :lol: How little faith you have in Rich..........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 am

As for custom key bindings maybe you missed this:
Teksonik wrote:. For example in other hosts I've got my mouse back/forward buttons programmed to open the load Templates screen and Insert New Plugin. I've got the number pad programmed to view Mixer, Track View, Piano Roll etc....insert new item, set loop length etc etc......very efficient instead of searching the qwerty keyboard for hard wired key shortcuts.......

True, other hosts benefit more from key bindings but it's because they are more complex and have more options to control.......... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Wishlist