Dune 3 Layer Mixer

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 3 Layer Mixer

Postby Kriminal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote: it's already poss in the MM,

So nothing new just a GUI addition.

its not 'new' but there is no layer mixer currently. There is an Osc mixer tho, so no need to have it twice. It's about convinience and workflow.

similar to the one person who asked for the pointless new right click mod system, except this is actually useful.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Indeed it's about convenience and not about expanding the range of sounds D3 can make which is why it doesn't interest me that much but I don't see how your proposal is any more convenient than what I'm proposing. I think the only disagreement is where to put the Mixer.

But once again it doesn't appear that the current Mixer Volume Destination has any effect on Osc 3 (or Noise). Perhaps that's by design or perhaps it's a bug. Either way just putting a GUI front end on the parameter will not solve that issue. Maybe someone could test it. Const>Mixer Volume and select Osc 3. Changing the AMT does not alter the volume of Osc 3 while it does change the volume of Osc1 and 2.

Here's a patch to test the Mixer Volume issue with Osc 3. Careful with the volume of your speakers and I jacked the Semitones up on Osc 3 to make it stand out, better to play a low note.

Mixer Volume Test.zip

As for pointless and useful, no feature request is pointless to the person making it, case in point this thread. I don't envy Synapse having to sort through the wish list and figuring out what can be done easily and what might take too long to implement. What makes sense to add and what doesn't. When we make requests we have no idea if we're asking for a dozen lines of code or a hundred, hours of work or weeks.

My top features requests would take an entire re-write so I don't expect them to ever be implemented but it doesn't stop me from wanting them. I can hear in my head what I would do with those features and they definitely would have an effect on what's coming out of the speakers as opposed to features that might make things a little easier.

But all we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride and see where the bus takes us. With Synapse at the wheel I'm confident the bus won't crash no matter what direction it takes..... :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Teksonik wrote:Indeed it's about convenience and not about expanding the range of sounds D3 can make which is why it doesn't interest me that much

but youve been comenting on it for 3 pages now...

Teksonik wrote:I I think the only disagreement is where to put the Mixer.

the obvious place is tabbed by the current Osc Mixer

Teksonik wrote:
But once again it doesn't appear that the current Mixer Volume Destination has any effect on Osc 3 (or Noise). Perhaps that's by design or perhaps it's a bug. Either way just putting a GUI front end on the parameter will not solve that issue. Maybe someone could test it. Const>Mixer Volume and select Osc 3. Changing the AMT does not alter the volume of Osc 3 while it does change the volume of Osc1 and 2.

:

looks like a bug. Cant say ive ever noticed Mixer Vol in the destinations, i always use Amp Level to set vol of each LAYER
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 am

Kriminal wrote:but youve been comenting on it for 3 pages now...

What else is there to talk about around here ? Notice who is not commenting...... :wink:

Kriminal wrote:the obvious place is tabbed by the current Osc Mixer

No, the obvious place is on the lower section where there is more room.

Kriminal wrote:Cant say ive ever noticed Mixer Vol in the destinations

But you're asking for a Layer Mixer Volume so.....

Either way I've done close to 500 patches for Dune 3 so workflow is not a problem in the least bit here. I just adjust the Layer volumes from their mixers. What you are proposing would at best save a few seconds for each patch. Hardly worth wasting precious development time on in my opinion.

But once again I hope you get your wish granted........good luck. 8)

In the mean time......

oberheim_obxa_angle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:the obvious place is tabbed by the current Osc Mixer

No, the obvious place is on the lower section where there is more room.

no, the obvious place is where the current Osc Mixer is, all it requires is one tab, all the mixer sections in one place, minimal gui work needed. Yours requires everything to be moved to the bottom (without the RM and Noise). What will go in the Osc Mixer section once its moved?

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Cant say ive ever noticed Mixer Vol in the destinations

But you're asking for a Layer Mixer Volume so.....

i know, i was commenting on the possible bug you may have found. Have you reported it yet?

Edit: I see you have. There you go, if it wasn't for me... :D
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 pm

Kriminal wrote: Yours requires everything to be moved to the bottom (without the RM and Noise). What will go in the Osc Mixer section once its moved?

I wasn't advocating moving anything. The idea would be for a master mixer with all five faders and Mute Solo Pan for each layer in addition to the current Mixers found on each layer. Then you could use that when you're working with a single Layer and then open the Master Mixer when working with more layers.

Like I said there is plenty of room for more Tabs on the bottom so why not use that space since the "vents" serve no purpose.

But whatever Synapse thinks is best. The more I look at the D3 GUI the more I wonder if the current Mixer should be on the right side under the "Common/Voices Edit" Block then move the Envelopes under the Oscs. That would give you access to the Voice Solo buttons which can also act as Mutes in the same area as the Mixer. Then the signal flow would be Oscs>Envs>Filters>Mixer. I suppose Oscs>Filters>Envs>Mixers might make more sense.

I suppose it could be done by swapping graphics and editing the config file but that's not a project I would undertake.

Kriminal wrote:There you go, if it wasn't for me... :D

Yes if not for this thread I would have never found the bug so something good has come from it......... :mrgreen:
Teksonik
Godlike

Previous

Return to Wishlist