OB-Xa Obsession and Dune 3 request

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

OB-Xa Obsession and Dune 3 request

Postby new_sko0l » Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 am

Hey dear Synapse audio, please make a triangle/sine wave for Obsession, and have at least 10 voices polyphony. You know we all have 10 fingers right? It's for this reason I don't care about the DSI analog synths, because their polyphony is like 6 or 8. I know it's hard to make a analog polysynth with high polyphony, but this is a VST. Also, a synth is never complete without a triangle/sine wave. Arturia has a triangle wave, and more polyphony. I'm just waiting for sound test right now compared to an real OB-Xa. You should probably do an a/b/c comparison as an advertisement campaign, if you have the sound like how Legend does.

Also Dune 3, you know you could easily beat Serum if you made a warp mode right? Also you could also beat Icarus with a random wavetable generator. Also, you could make the wavetable editor better by make it more like Sonic Academy's Node. Neither Serum's nor Icarus' nor Dune 3's wavetable editor are good enough compared to Node, they are all missing something, and that's why SA made Node. Node is best wavetable editor out there right now.

Basically what's bad with your wavetable generator is that it's hard/impossible to make curvy curves without jagged edges. Jagged edges will give the waveform a buzz sound like saw wave, and curvy curves sound like sine wave. It's very hard to make sine wave wavetable sounds with your wavetable generator.

Cheers
new_sko0l
Novice

Re: OB-Xa Obsession and Dune 3 request

Postby Teksonik » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 am

new_sko0l wrote:Basically what's bad with your wavetable generator is that it's hard/impossible to make curvy curves without jagged edges.

Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am

Obsession has a triangle yes :)

As for comparisons, check out these clips:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/obcomparisons.zip

We posted them a while back, we may add a few more after release.

About Node, we'll check it out.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby blue monk » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Richard wrote:Obsession has a triangle yes :)

Checked the examples. Is it always first half synth A and second half synth B of the sounddemo ?
Which is which?
blue monk
Novice

Postby Richard » Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm

I had to look it up myself, since the clips are quite old and I cannot tell the difference by listening ;)

The order is hw-sw-hw-sw. We ran it twice since the oscillator drift and voice variation is so large that a single run is rather meaningless. With two runs, you can also compare the hardware (or software) to itself.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby blue monk » Fri May 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Richard wrote:I had to look it up myself, since the clips are quite old and I cannot tell the difference by listening ;)

The order is hw-sw-hw-sw. We ran it twice since the oscillator drift and voice variation is so large that a single run is rather meaningless. With two runs, you can also compare the hardware (or software) to itself.

My impression was that the first half sounded better, which is based on my assumption (2x synth A followed by 2x synth B). Which means I got fooled.

For marketing purposes, it could be interesting to put up a blind test web page for the launch, that orders the examples randomly and you can manually switch from Synth A to Synth B at any time. For each example you choose wether you prefer A or B or do not have a preferrance.
Each time you start the test, the order will again be randomized. When you had enough rounds, you can see wether you always chose the same favorite and which is which.
Wouldn't be too hard to do and could be more convincing to people than a static sound demo.
blue monk
Novice

Postby bones » Tue May 26, 2020 1:24 pm

When both SAW and PULSE waves are turned off you get triangle, just like the hardware. So how about you wait until you have actually used the synth before you start making requests?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby new_sko0l » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm

actually you need to request before they release the synth, so they make less mistakes, and don't have to patch it. plus one of the reasons I didn't buy the legend is because the low polyphony when it came out
new_sko0l
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 am

:lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 am

new_sko0l wrote:Hey dear Synapse audio, please make a triangle/sine wave for Obsession, and have at least 10 voices polyphony. You know we all have 10 fingers right?

do you always play 10 notes at once? What happens to the release tails when you play the next 10 notes? You prob need 40+ polyphony for that scenario
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Thu May 28, 2020 12:02 pm

new_sko0l wrote:actually you need to request before they release the synth, so they make less mistakes, and don't have to patch it. plus one of the reasons I didn't buy the legend is because the low polyphony when it came out

No, you needed to request 6 or 8 months ago, before all the features were locked in for release. That's how these things work. Every simple change you make creates a cascade of changes that can take a long time to implement and test. It also helps to understand the scope of the project, so you actually have some idea of what is relevant and what isn't. Otherwise you risk coming off like an entitled douchebag.
plus one of the reasons I didn't buy the legend is because the low polyphony when it came out

Yeah, that's also why I never bought a Minimoog back in the day. Who the hell was Bob Moog to decide it would only have one voice? That's just ridiculous. And obviously nobody ever made any decent music with just the 8 voices of the original OB-Xa, right?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby blue monk » Fri May 29, 2020 8:27 am

bones wrote:Yeah, that's also why I never bought a Minimoog back in the day. Who the hell was Bob Moog to decide it would only have one voice? That's just ridiculous. And obviously nobody ever made any decent music with just the 8 voices of the original OB-Xa, right?

:D

However, if you have enough CPU power, how would a limited number of voices make sense?
blue monk
Novice

Postby themachinelt » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 am

Richard wrote:Obsession has a triangle yes :)

Wow this is very close! like 99.9% close :shock:

i notice that there is a bit of a thump/snap (click) in the attack of the first second in the pad clip.

Same snappiness (click) occurs in reso patch, just it has some sort of punch (click) in the low end (30-50hz). In the same synth clip when SW plays you can hear the snap (click), but bass occurs straight after it.

This is something imediatly popped in to my ears from the first listen. My system is with subwoofer by the way.

Cant wait for this synth :drool:
themachinelt
Novice

Postby Jochen69 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Could you Richard please listen to the sweepsound in the track 1984 by Van Halen? That is the exakt sweep I remember from my OB-8. I cannot get this feeling with Obsession. There is a significant difference in the Resonance or something. Will it be possible to update Obsession in that way?
Jochen69
Novice

Return to Wishlist