Dune 3 Assignable Filters

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3 Assignable Filters

Postby slush » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 am

I am a new Dune owner. I have been looking forward to getting the synth for awhile. Awesome! Thanks for the amazing math under the hood.

I didn't see that it was possible to route the oscillators to specific filters or do a bypass. (If this is possible, someone help me out.)

I would like to be able to point the oscillators using a mixer. Meaning send a percentage of the oscillators at either Filter1, Filter2 or both.

Going off the deep-end - doing that at the voice level would be amazing.

Anyway, thanks for the incredible sounding synth. I knew it would become an instant favorite and it doesn't disappoint. It doesn't replace my Legend, though. One of my plans for learning sound design is to take a stab at re-creating some Legend patches in Dune 2 and then amping them up :)

Thanks!
slush
Novice

Re: Dune 3 Assignable Filters

Postby Kriminal » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:59 am

each layer can have a diff filter, but all osc in that layer go thru that filter

you could drop vol to zero of osc in the mixer of each layer, and use 3 layers (one for each osc) as a kinda workaround

to bypass, choose off in filter menu
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby slush » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 pm

That's a decent work around. Chews up a couple of voices but they aren't exactly hard to come by ;)
Thanks for the response.
slush
Novice

Postby reidmich182 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 pm

I use this workound currently but I feel like it's unnecessarily tedious. Feels like sort of a waste to have 2 Filters and not be able to route the diff osc to either.

adding assignable filters would make DUNE wayy more powerful that it already is.

hopefully there enough other people who feel the same so we could see this added sometime in the future.
reidmich182
Novice

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:07 am

Yes it would add flexibility, but then you have to program the routing each time, and it requires additional sound parameters, increasing overall complexity. At the end of the day, a synthesizer has to balance ease of use and flexibility. If adding flexibility was the ultimate design goal, then Dune 3 would have to turn into a modular system of sorts. Which is not a bad idea, but that would be a rather new, unrelated project I think ;)

Overall we believe Dune 3 is already very powerful with its current feature set though. Take the Thunderstorm patch Kevin made for World of Cinematic 2, for instance. That is pretty amazing with no samples used, you can even tweak the rain in realtime via the mod wheel. There is so much that can be done already, I'm honestly not sure adding a bunch more features or routings changes that much. And any feature that is only needed 1% of the time, tends to get in the way the remaining 99% of the time when you don't need it.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kriminal » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:35 pm

100% agree
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby New Loops » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:33 pm

It would be good to do filter routing per layer.
New Loops
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:51 pm

You can do filter routing per layer now.

I'm far more likely to use another layer than I am to use Osc 2 in a single layer. Why? Because then you get a whole new set of Filters and envelopes and you can Mute/Solo the layers.

So if you're really asking for the ability to route Osc 1,2, or 3 through different Filters in a single layer then just use another layer. Copy/Paste the first layer into the second if you just want to make a clone.

DUNE 3's filter are set to run in series. If you need parallel filters then use another layer.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist