Dune 3: Workflow improvements

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3: Workflow improvements

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:38 pm

I really love this Synth but there are a few areas i think could be streamed for a quicker workflow. Here is a list in no particular order:

- On screen undo / redo
- Toggle or mousewheel scroll for MSEG presets. Tedious in its current form switching between them.
- Grid options for MSEGs. I know the nodes technically snap to a grid, but having an adjustable grid layout would be handy from a visual perspective (1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4th, etc)
- Hover preview for certain areas. Kilohearts does this in select spots and its nice (unison mode, non linear filter)

Im curious what other peoples are, feel free to post :)
MattLeschuck
Novice

Re: Dune 3: Workflow improvements

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:54 pm

MattLeschuck wrote:- On screen undo / redo

I'd be for that, if it doesn't introduce too much clutter on the screen.

- Toggle or mousewheel scroll for MSEG presets. Tedious in its current form switching between them.

Not sure how practical that would be.
It would need to replace 1 control with 3, since you'd have the display, as well as Load and Save buttons - which are all now under 1 menu.
But I do agree that switching would be easier. Also, I prefer making adjustments with mousewheel (which is a major reason why I don't like Ableton :lol: )

- Grid options for MSEGs. I know the nodes technically snap to a grid, but having an adjustable grid layout would be handy from a visual perspective (1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4th, etc)

+1 for that. Maybe it could be could done by right clicking on the grid in empty space or something.

- Hover preview for certain areas. Kilohearts does this in select spots and its nice (unison mode, non linear filter)

I don't quite understand how that works :?
You hover over a control and it temporarily changes to it? Or something like that?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:23 pm

I don't quite understand how that works :?
You hover over a control and it temporarily changes to it? Or something like that?

Correct, you hover over alternate settings and it previews the changes. Here is a quick example of me doing it in Phase Plant.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U3tOafFPOIYbVWY1CdxCTO9p0xge3tub/view?usp=sharing
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:36 pm

There is already Undo/Redo:

D3 120421-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 am

Teksonik wrote:

There is already Undo/Redo:

D3 120421-2.png

In the drop down menu there is, but not on screen by default. Having quicker access makes a difference IMO. Phase Plant, Hive 2 and Thorn do this and I find it much quicker. Especially when doing multiple undo’s.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 am

How much quicker than a single mouse click to open the Undo drop down ? :?

Ok whatever. In all the time I've owned DUNE going all the way back to version one I have never used the Undo function let alone multiple undos and I've done hundreds of patches so not a "workflow improvement" here. Just something else to clog up the interface.

But you did ask so.....

MattLeschuck wrote:Im curious what other peoples are, feel free to post :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 am

Teksonik wrote:How much quicker than a single mouse click to open the Undo drop down ? :?

Ok whatever. In all the time I've owned DUNE going all the way back to version one I have never used the Undo function let alone multiple undos and I've done hundreds of patches so not a "workflow improvement" here. Just something else to clog up the interface.

But you did ask so.....

MattLeschuck wrote:Im curious what other peoples are, feel free to post :)

Agree to disagree, it makes it much faster for me being able to make quick undos when building patches. Again this is just a work flow improvement that I thought would help. Almost every other synth I use has it on screen by default (Phase Plant, Thorn, Hive 2, Pigments).

That said, Dune 3 is still my favorite out of the bunch!

Also, im impressed you have never used the undo function ;).
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:37 pm

I just don't see the point of undo. Let's say I change the Filter Cutoff and I don't like the new value. Should I move the cursor up to the undo button then back down to the Cutoff knob to set a new value or should I just stay on the Cutoff knob and set a new value?

Same goes for any parameter. Don't like the new value then set it to something else.

Also Undo can work in odd ways. Init a patch and then change Osc 1 from VA to WT. Now select a WT from the drop down list then select another WT. Now hit Undo. What happens is the Osc is switched back to VA but the WT is not changed back to the first choice. So in this case Undo really does nothing useful.

But even having to move the cursor up to the patch tab and doing an extra click to access the undo function adds at best one or two seconds. The feature is already there and adding undo/redo buttons on the main interface would create a lot of work without a lot of benefit.

Maybe Synapse could allow keyboard shortcuts U and R for those who need undo/redo which would then alleviate the need to clutter up the interface and the work needed to change all the various skins and sizes.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist