Add Export Midi Option

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Add Export Midi Option

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm

Has anyone at SA thought about adding an export MIDI function to Dune 3? There are many times when I like a MIDI sequence on a voice, but want to use it on a different patch or export to a MIDI track. Is there a way to make this possible? Thanks.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Add Export Midi Option

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:46 pm

They have, and rejected it.

HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:They have, and rejected it.

I understand that, but that doesn't mean one can't export the MIDI, only that if you do, and IF you use it in an audio production, give credit. It is incumbent on the user to abide by the EULA with respect to that. I for one would do that with no problem whatsoever. So the EULA is not a reason to not have the feature.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 pm

The EULA is a perfect reason not to allow this "feature". Just because you might bother to give credit where credit is due that doesn't mean everybody would.

The SEQ patches are designed to showcase DUNE 3's capabilities and since you can import your own MIDI data there is no problem.

People have asked for export midi several times over the years. It's not going to happen so let it go. I wouldn't want one second of precious development time wasted on midi export.

Better to spend your time learning how to make your own SEQ patches than using those made by other people. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:12 pm

There are loads of potential for abuse of a feature like that, and you cannot guarantee that someone might not rip the MIDIs and sell them, either on their own or as part of their own patches.

But to make it easier, you can think of it is as if it's a sort of a collaboration.
The person that made the patch contributed the melody, and you have 2 choices now:

1. Since you didn't make it, you can use it as it is and credit the creator of the melody (as required), or
2. Don't use it and make your own melodies.

Either way, it's been asked, for almost 2 years now, and nothing came out of it.
Just saying.
Take it as you will.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:55 pm

Well, I wasn't aware the feature had ever been requested before, but then I don't frequent this forum. I'm not sure that someone potentially violating the EULA makes a very good argument for not having the feature. Anyone might violate any one of the provisions of the EULA at any time, but we still have one.

Be that as it may, if SA doesn't want to add the feature that's fine.

As for my learning how to create my own...I do that regularly. I am a composer after all. I didn't make the request because I don't know how to create a melody or a midi sequence. I made the request because it would speed things up in some circumstances. But as I said, I understand and that's fine. Just understand that I am most certainly NOT a novice where MIDI and programming are concerned. I've been doing synthesis since the days of the ARP 2600 and the Moog.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 pm

That's all well and good but it just reinforces the point that you don't need midi export. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:02 pm

DonnieAlan wrote:As for my learning how to create my own...I do that regularly. I am a composer after all. I didn't make the request because I don't know how to create a melody or a midi sequence. I made the request because it would speed things up in some circumstances. But as I said, I understand and that's fine. Just understand that I am most certainly NOT a novice where MIDI and programming are concerned. I've been doing synthesis since the days of the ARP 2600 and the Moog.

Just to clarify something.

I've never implied or claimed that you don't know how to make your own melodies.
I don't claim one way or the other, and never meant to question your competency or your skills.

Just wanted to make that clear, and I hope there's no hard feelings :)
Cheers!
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Wishlist