Pls add ability to Dune 3 to read "common" wavetable formats

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Pls add ability to Dune 3 to read "common" wavetable for

Postby themachinelt » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:15 pm

Teksonik wrote:So me taking time out of my day to try and help you understand how DUNE 3 works is being "hostile"?

There is no point in loading a "whole folder" as you can only load one .wt at a time. You can already access whole folders now. You just have to understand how it works. I've explained it the best I can.

You certainly have a right to ask for whatever you want but then I also have a right to say "that's a waste of precious development time".

You want time spent on saving a mouse click or two but I'd rather that time be spent on things that actually make a difference in the type and range of sounds DUNE 3 can make. Because in the end it's a Synthesizer not an Excel spreadsheet.

Sure, if there were a half dozen people writing code for DUNE 3 then by all means add every little feature every person ever asked for, but there is only Richard and Marcin so time has to be prioritized.

In the end Synapse will do what they know is best but again if you're allowed an opinion then so am I.

In the meantime I have showed you how to use DUNE 3 now while you wait until (if) what you're asking for is added. You're welcome. :wink:

I knew this before you wrote, you just make things more complicated and waste time explaining what i already know. I know how to use Dune 3 and the way it now works its cumbersome. I just want to copy paste a serum wavetable folder to Dune wavetable folder and open them via Dune 3 like i can do with Hive 2. Understand? :) i dont need workarounds from you, i need exactly that what i suggested in my wishlist, i need a simplicity :)
themachinelt
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:47 pm

themachinelt wrote: open them via Dune 3

I'm telling you that we can already do that if you'll simply pay attention and actually look at the screenshot.

D3 101823-2.png

It takes three seconds. Click Menu, Click Import, Double Click on the File. How much more "simple" do you need it get? One second less? Is a mouse click that much of a burden to you?

So you can't think of one thing that will expand the range of sounds DUNE 3 can make or make it a better synthesizer? This is your priority? A couple of mouse clicks? This is exaclty why I push back against these kind of requests. :?

To expand, DUNE 3 sets a registry entry for the last WT location:

D3 101823-3.png

If you put all your .wavs in a single folder they'll all be right at hand which is exactly what you're asking for and something I suggested nine months ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby themachinelt » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:52 am

Teksonik wrote:
themachinelt wrote: open them via Dune 3

I'm telling you that we can already do that if you'll simply pay attention and actually look at the screenshot.

D3 101823-2.png

It takes three seconds. Click Menu, Click Import, Double Click on the File. How much more "simple" do you need it get? One second less? Is a mouse click that much of a burden to you?

So you can't think of one thing that will expand the range of sounds DUNE 3 can make or make it a better synthesizer? This is your priority? A couple of mouse clicks? This is exaclty why I push back against these kind of requests. :?

To expand, DUNE 3 sets a registry entry for the last WT location:

D3 101823-3.png

If you put all your .wavs in a single folder they'll all be right at hand which is exactly what you're asking for and something I suggested nine months ago.

I dont want to be rude but are you brain damaged or what? importing hundreds or thousands of wavetables vs copy pasting whole folder is not just few seconds more it can be hours more.

Other then that its Richards and his team decision to take in to the consideration what wishlists to grant not yours or am i wrong?
themachinelt
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:19 pm

themachinelt wrote:I dont want to be rude but are you brain damaged or what? importing hundreds or thousands of wavetables vs copy pasting whole folder is not just few seconds more it can be hours more.

You're just not grasping some key basic concepts. One more time, you can "copy pasting whole folder" into any folder you wish and then point DUNE 3 to that folder and it will remember that location as long as you don't draw from another folder afterwards, then it will remember that folder.

Again, Click on "Menu", click on "Import Wav (Adjust Wavetable)" (Import just means LOAD, please try to grasp that key point) and double click on the .wav you want to import (load). You can only load one .wt at a time even in Hive which you have used as an example.

It's exactly what you have to do to load a WT in Hive except the double click but if you organize your files properly you don't have to deal with Hive's cascading menus (which take time) when loading .wavs into DUNE 3 and if you've got "hundreds or thousands of wavetables" then you'll be cascading through a lot of menus and sub-menus. No appreciable difference in time and effort than navigating an explorer window with files in sub-folders.

Load an instance of Hive, Init a patch, Click on Wavetable 1 or 2, Now click where it says Sawtooth, now scroll down to where it says wavetable, now go back up and click on Browse Wavetables and then you get to the cascading list of WTs and you can navigate through those lists which in practice is no different that navigating an explorer window except you don't have to deal with cascading menus in explorer.

DUNE 3: Init a patch, click on the WT button, click on EDIT, go to Menu and select Import WT (remember that just means LOAD) and you're presented with an explorer window where all your WTs can be found even in other subfolders.

There is just not that much difference in time and effort between the two systems. Even if you were to gain anything it would be negligible at best

You just have to learn how to be organised with your files which takes only minutes and only has to be done once or any time you add more wavetables in .wav format. I can not possibly make the explanation any simpler than that.

You are right, it's up to Richard as to what is added to DUNE 3 and I have suggested to him that a WT Brower system might be something to add in future versions in order to help people who apparently struggle with the simple task of keeping their files organized.

So hang in there, maybe you'll get your wish granted after all but in the end it won't make one bit of difference in the way DUNE 3 sounds and that's why to me it's an utter waste of development time and effort.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby themachinelt » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:00 pm

Im reading this and i really trying to understand how what you suggesting is the same as copy pasting and just selectring from drop down menu without importing each wavetable every time. You cant simply audition that way without adding extra layer of complexity. It boggles me how you are in denial. Please dont answer. I dont want to waste my time on your pointless replays.
themachinelt
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:28 pm

I think enough has been said on this topic, so I'll lock it for now, unless anyone can convince me that there is more to discuss in a cordial manner.
Mark

Previous

Return to Wishlist