Dune: Click and drag to select multiple layers

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune: Click and drag to select multiple layers

Postby Pebblestream » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:35 am

Hi all, new here, got Dune 3 recently and learning it right now-- just a little QOL idea I had, I don't know if this would be do-able or not-- would it be possible to click+drag to select/deselect multiple layers at a time? So you don't have to click each and every one when you want to select/deselect multiple adjacent layers. Devs if you see this thanks for reading and taking the time to consider! :D
Pebblestream
Novice

Re: Dune: Click and drag to select multiple layers

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:56 pm

Can you expand on what it is you want to achieve? What is the reason for selecting/deselecting voices?
Mark

Postby Pebblestream » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:29 pm

A quicker way to select/deselect multiple layers-- whether solo-ing to listen to, or to edit :)
I've attached a GIF as an example-- Studio One has this sort of functionality for different tracks in its track list, at first I click one by one on the "Show/Hide" dot, and then I simply click and drag and it gives me the same result (just with less clicks). I hope this clarifies my idea. :music:
So my idea would be simply applying this same functionality, to Dune's "Edit Layer" buttons, 1-8, and the same with the "Solo Layer" buttons, 1-8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pebblestream
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:44 pm

What if you want to edit/solo a single layer, then switch to snother?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Pebblestream » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:49 pm

Kriminal wrote:What if you want to edit/solo a single layer, then switch to snother?

Well it would probably be best to implement it in a way similar to the GIF-- so that both single clicks for single buttons, and click-and-drags for multiple, both work.
Pebblestream
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:56 pm

Pebblestream wrote:So you don't have to click each and every one when you want to select/deselect multiple adjacent layers.

:lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Pebblestream » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:45 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Pebblestream wrote:So you don't have to click each and every one when you want to select/deselect multiple adjacent layers.

:lol:

Hi Teksonik, nice to see you here as well. Could you explain what is funny or odd about this request? I'm not familiar with the code of Dune so I don't know how feasible of a request this may or may not be, hence the disclaimer in my original post, but while it may not be a "game-changing feature", I fail to see how a small suggestion to boost efficiency is humorous.
Pebblestream
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Pebblestream wrote:I fail to see how a small suggestion to boost efficiency is humorous.

Define "boost efficiency". You know that won't work on the Active Edit line because only one Voice Layer can be active at a time (or All) so click drag would not add anything.

On the Voices Solo line say you have 4 active voices, you want to be able to click/drag and select them all....effectively not soloing any of them?

What if I have 6 active layers and want to solo 1,3, and 5 or 2,4, and 6? Click drag would do nothing there.

What we have to remember is that Synapse doesn't have dozens of people writing code so development time has to be spent wisely. A feature that might save a couple of mouse clicks once in a while should be at or near the bottom of the list of priorities.

I just find it humorous that new users don't seem to focus on features that make a difference in the sound DUNE 3 can make (more filters, more MSEGs, Layer Split Points etc etc) but instead focus on something that might save a mouse click here and there as if a mouse click is a herculean physical effort akin to bench pressing 300 pounds.

I just think it's a matter of priorities. Let's focus on expanding the range of sounds D3 can make and not on "efficiency" measured in one or two mouse clicks.

But I don't write the code so Synapse may agree with you. However I would consider it an utter and complete waste of precious development time. You certainly have a right to make any feature request you wish but I'll continue to find these little training wheel features to be humorous. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist