Arpeggiator mode- 'as played', step input for the sequencer

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Arpeggiator mode- 'as played', step input for the sequencer

Postby akshaydabhadkar » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:47 am

For Dune 3, an arp mode 'as played' would be cool. Also, for the step seq, a way to input notes by playing the sequence step by step on the keyboard would be cool too! Another absurd but ultra useful feature would be to edit the midi file directly from Dune's UI.
akshaydabhadkar
Novice

Re: Arpeggiator mode- 'as played', step input for the sequen

Postby Kriminal » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:52 am

As played? Explain please
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby akshaydabhadkar » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:01 am

By 'as played' I mean a mode where the arp retains the order of notes played on the keyboard instead of overriding it.
akshaydabhadkar
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:57 am

Wouldn't that be like putting the notes in your DAW?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:54 pm

akshaydabhadkar wrote:By 'as played' I mean a mode where the arp retains the order of notes played on the keyboard instead of overriding it.

So if you press A C F, you want it to play those 3 notes in that order (or variations of) ?

You can do that
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby akshaydabhadkar » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:37 pm

Could you please tell me how! I've tried all the modes.
akshaydabhadkar
Novice

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:26 pm

Usually it means instead of moving e.g. up/down it would take the order of notes as played. So for instance C E G (pressed in that order, not simultaneously) would be identical to "up", while C G E (pressed in that order) would instead play C G E C G E and so on.

About step input, it would be nice but I'd argue that MIDI import is much faster in practice, because you can create the sequence in your DAW with all its tools first, until it is perfect.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:24 pm

I'll weigh in on the subject of Step Record in the Arp. I have other synths that have this function and I'll often step record a sequence in them from my midi controller since I can see patterns better when looking at the midi keyboard and then just copy the +/- semitone values into DUNE 3's Arp.

As opposed to working out the pattern in my head. "Let's see I want +5 then +7 then" and so on. So to me Step Record is faster for the Arp but of course Midi File Import is much more powerful overall.

Step Record wouldn't be my most important feature request but if it was added it would certainly get used here. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:43 pm

+1

Used to be able to do it in the piano roll in Orion, but I can't seem to be able to these days....
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:34 pm

Ok interesting, I have personally never used such a function in any synth.

Then I guess both FR's are good :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kriminal » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:42 pm

Sh101 and 303 used it :wink:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby akshaydabhadkar » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:11 pm

U-He Hive has step input functionality where you can record the notes for the sequence set by step. Midi import is incredible as a tool but sometimes you just want a simple sequence pattern. Hive has this system where each slot in the sequencer is highlighted for you to press a ky on the keyboard. As soon as you press a key, the next slot is highlighted automatically. This way you can quickly sequence a pattern. I know Hive has a totally different design philosophy but I think this feature can be fairly easily implemented in Dune.
akshaydabhadkar
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:24 pm

akshaydabhadkar wrote:U-He Hive has step input functionality where you can record the notes for the sequence set by step.

As I wrote earlier......
Teksonik wrote:I have other synths that have this function and I'll often step record a sequence in them from my midi controller since I can see patterns better when looking at the midi keyboard and then just copy the +/- semitone values into DUNE 3's Arp.

I was specifically referring to Hive but didn't want to mention it by name out of respect for Synapse. So you can use this workaround until (if) step record is added to DUNE 3.

It accomplishes the same task but does consume a bit more time. Hive only has a 16 step sequencer and D3 has 32 steps so you can just repeat the process for the other 16 steps.

One potential problem I can see with step record in D3 is how will the interface react when recording more than the 8 steps that are shown at one time? Will it automatically visually jump from 1-8 to 9-16 and so on? Or will it just record and not visually change the interface so we'd be working blindly? How will we know what step we're inputting if we can't see the steps?

It's fine for us to ask for feature requests but we have to keep in mind that implementing them may not be as simple as we imagine since we're not the ones writing the code. Just because a feature works in one plugin doesn't mean it will automatically work in another or be as easy to implement due to the differences in architecture.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:44 pm

Teksonik wrote:One potential problem I can see with step record in D3 is how will the interface react when recording more than the 8 steps that are shown at one time? Will it automatically visually jump from 1-8 to 9-16 and so on? Or will it just record and not visually change the interface so we'd be working blindly? How will we know what step we're inputting if we can't see the steps?

I suppose it should record as many steps as dialed under "Steps". If that is more than 8, I guess it should switch to 9-16 etc. Not sure the visuals matter though, a basic step record just takes the notes one by one right? So there is not a lot of editing options until you're done recording.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:42 pm

My concern would be that once the step recording goes past the steps that are shown, for example 1-8, and then keeps recording 9-16 and so on we would lose visual track of where we are recording. So in this case setting the number of steps to 16 or 32 we would be "blind" as to what step we're on after the 8th step.

I don't know if this would be a big deal or not until trying it in actual use but I can imagine me losing count "let's see did I hit 12 notes or 13 or what step am I on now ? :lol:

I guess we could just keep hitting notes until recording stopped if the recording doesn't loop back to step 1 which is what Hive does and I suppose we could just click on the blocks 9-16,17-24,25-32 to keep track of the recording if that doesn't stop the recording. It's hard to tell without actually having it to test.

I once tried to make a mock up of moving the Arp/Seq to a tab on the bottom that would allow all 32 steps to show at once but failed miserably and I imagine that would be a ton of work to implement and perhaps not worth the effort.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist