Polyphonic MSEGs

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Polyphonic MSEGs

Postby zerocrossing » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:27 pm

I'd really love to see them, especially now that we have MPE. So useful.
zerocrossing
Novice

Re: Polyphonic MSEGs

Postby MattLeschuck » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:00 pm

zerocrossing wrote:I'd really love to see them, especially now that we have MPE. So useful.

In all but loop mode, they are polyphonic. I asked Richard a while back about actually adding a mono / global switch to the MSEGs (to give us the option).
MattLeschuck
Novice

Re: Polyphonic MSEGs

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:41 am

Yes MSEGs are polyphonic in the Note On/Off modes. This makes sense, they have to trigger as soon as you press or release a key. Also envelopes in general are polyphonic (Filter & Amp envelopes). Pretty much all polyphonic synthesizers, software or hardware, work in this manner. Polyphonic synthesizers with monophonic envelopes are ultra-rare.

The MSEG Loop mode is global, because the idea is to make gated & rhythmic sounds that are in sync with the tempo.

Now the issue with making Mono/Poly an option is simply that it gives users a chance to make a mistake. A monophonic envelope that triggers just once would be seen as a bug by most users, ihmo. Likewise, looped MSEGs synced to the current tempo that are actually out-of-sync would be perceived as a bug, too.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Wishlist