Additive Generator with Resynthesis!

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby harddisco » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 pm

There are so many wishes for small improvements in workflow expressed in this section. I can't thinking that I'm perfectly happy with writing in Orion and can make it do what I want to do already, so I'm not bothered with all these little changes. What I really want is more groovy synths tht make different noises!

So, forget automation, and all the other things that get bones riled, how about a big fat additive synth with resynthesis for v8? Orion is busting with VAs and FM, resynthesis would really open up the sonic horizons. Maybe DiscoDsp would license vertigo, or something similar?

Either that, or i should stop being stingy and buy wertigo myself.
Win XP Home SP2 - AMD Phenom II x4 B35 (2.9GHZ x 4) - 2GB RAM

http://www.harddisco.co.uk
harddisco
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Well I'd say Ultran would be the one already there. And don't forget, you can stream 5 synths playing a C note for 8 measures in Song, shape it in your audio editor, and create a new sample voice and/or wavetable from it
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Vicious_Angel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm

As i see it ultran needs a lot of love to be user friendly on sound making and saving.
Txt files are not an option for me sorry..
Last edited by Vicious_Angel on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:41 pm

True, it's not the most 'warm and fuzzy' button to use in Orion. But like I said, you can still do an arrangement of many synths playing C1, C2, C3, etc - stream it, slice it, and stick in the sampler, and voila! ;)

Plus, there's some many resampling synths on the market - including this Wertigo HD mentions. It may serve as a good investment for one who doesn't want constant extra work in Orion. ;) (And poor HD will buy it, and THEN Rich will unveil something to compete with it. :lol: )
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby randomelement2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:37 pm

I think that Ultran is extremely limited compared to an additive synth. I remember a couple of years ago, lots of people posting saying that they didn't use Ultran all that much. I'd love to see it updated with sound mangling options, and perhaps a way to turn the morphing off. I find that rather limiting. I definitely have some nice sounds out of it though, and I've put in lots of extra soundfonts and made my own text files.

I have Vertigo, but would always love to see something from Synapse also. What I'd really like to see is some sort of semi-modular synth. I love Crystal and am waiting to see what happens with version 2 of Synthmaster.
randomelement2
Novice

Postby harddisco » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:48 pm

The question really is, would you rather Rich and Jouni took up all their time making small workflow improvements requested on a regular basis by some guys (and refuted regularly by others) or spend their time making a useful addition to Orion's sonic arsenal?

I would say, give me resynthesis! Never mind sampling, imagine your wierd pad sample (i like to use guitar feedback) transformed into a 128 or 256 partial synth monster, where each note sounds as characterful as the root note!

Or, a guitar amp sim? They dirty up drums, synths and anything else perfectly. There are loads of freeware amp sims though, although i find they don't match the quality of the commercial ones, even the older commercial ones like Steinberg's Warp.

Anyway, what do you want, functionality or sound shaping options? What is the priority?

harddisco
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:57 pm

try buying one that already exists....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:35 pm

It depends on how useful you think an additive synth with resynthesis is. Personally, I can be about 99% certain I would never find a use for such a thing, much as I've never found any use for either Toxic synth. I'd rather use a Sampler than an additive synth and Orion is my resynthesis engine, so it doesn't seem to have anything of value to offer.
I'd rather see Rich turn Toxic into something usable that doesn't take up a third of my screen.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby harddisco » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 pm

You two guys particularly, though (Kriminal and Bones) are amongst the first to jump in to defend Orion's workflow when everyone is demanding changes to suit their existing way of working.

I gave this thread the wrong title! It should be really called - sound design or workflow - what's your priority. That was the point of it, which would you rather the developers worked on, things like automation or new generators / major effects.

The Resynthesis is just something i personally fancy, but it's become a bit of a red herring.

harddisco
Regular

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:24 pm

harddisco: Yes, it is a red herring. I'd prefer that Rich and Jouni worked on the midi side of things particularly wrt hardware integration, but that's just me. There are plenty of VSTi's available that do what you want wrt additive/resynthesis, which was Kriminal's point. I don't think Rich/Jouni should waste time re-inventing the wheel(s) and it appears you recognise that.

There's nothing wrong with making requests like you have done, but at the same time you have to accept other users opinions.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:27 pm

my answer was simply, that a sloution to request already exists...im not defending Orion or Rich or anything, just pointing out the obvious.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 pm

I wish Ultran was further enhanced/simplified. It has the potential of setting new standards in it's own way, (Wavefusion as well FTM) But the .txt, lack of of waveforms, and reinputing and such does certainly limit them. To me Ultran could have RCM, LA, and Formant capablities, but just missing some key ingredients and 'user friendliness' getting there. Mind you - any of those synthesis methods are rarely 'user friendly'. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby harddisco » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Saying that krim and bones jump in to defend orion's workflow was supposed to be a compliment. I said at the top of the thread that i'm perfectly happy to use it it as it is so would like the development to proceed in terms of new sound design tools rather than workflow asjustments.

markholtuk: i hadn't though that midi development could be a different direction to go in terms of development. i had to sell my old midi hardware to buy OP and things like reaktor session, plus my new (ish)IK Multimedia stealthplug, so i haven't even used the midi out generator for ages.

The whole point of the thread was to find out if everyone preferred workflow improvements or sound design tools. I've got prety much everything except resynth, so that was top of my wishlist! I bet an additive / resynthesis generator native to orion would chomp less cpu than commercial vsts. plus i am very poor...

Don't worry, I will learn to express myself more clearly in future!

harddisco
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:59 am

I think the majority of us are fans here, or we wouldn't be here. ;) For me I like Ultran, and would like it to be 'my car getting 16inch rims' so to speak. Bones makes a good point about Toxic - a good synth, but so big it frightens me. Resynthesis, interesting wish. Something that a lot of people would use - easily... I myself don't think so. A lot of work for little use by most. But if Rich and Jouni got down to brass tacks and said 'Lets make a superior synth the likes of which no one has ever seen or played before. And we'll make it with all the features you could throw at it AND easy as pie to use...' I wouldn't balk at it. ;) But again, we're talking Rich and Jouni here - 2 guys. Not the big dev teams of Steinberg or Roland or NI here. So not only are you poor, so is Rich and Jouni to a degree. ;)
And like I said, there are ways of working around it in Orion - be it more difficult, but maybe more rewarding in resampling and using Smart Electronix effects to achieve 'resynthesis'. I hate giving this link away, as I'd like to keep it to myself... But for the poor and demanding - http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/
Take a close look at Geometry. I've been using this stuff for years, and these guys are good and serious! ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby harddisco » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:36 am

Orion is an ideal host for poor people like me. I couldn't have afforded to buy OP in one go, I had to buy Basic and Pro first - a great upgrade chain too.

Rich and Jouni seem to have put ease of use and service before making lots of cash, and i think that's why orion has such a great community. Any problems anyone has get answered really quickly, i don't think the companies mentioned above can compete with that. And with how many hosts can you get a personal answer from the developers who will check out your mini-dump there and then and fix your problem if it's a problem with the software?

I'm glad I gave them my $199, even if it didn't make them rich! Now, what can I sell to buy myself a resynthesizer...

Thanks for the link, DS, I'll check it out...

harddisco
Regular

Next

Return to Wishlist