Democracatic feature requests: a feature poll?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Lance » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 pm

I agree with Bones. Template maniacs will face the reality, templates must be created first. The Songe Merge feature has more potential for me, don't leave it half-baked.
Lance
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:17 am

Lance wrote: Template maniacs will face the reality, templates must be created first.

I'd rather create a Template once than have to build the same thing every time I load a plugin. I've had the "reality" of using track templates in both Reaper and Sonar and I can tell you they save me a lot of time.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am

Lance wrote: The Songe Merge feature has more potential for me, don't leave it half-baked.

The Song Merge holds no interested for me. Don't leave the Templates half-baked.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 am

I can see where the time-saving occurs when you're adding them but it looks to me like you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul, thanks to the time taken to create and organise your templates in the first place. Already I am finding it annoying that I have to re-save songs to get them into the right data format before I can merge them, but at least I know that over time that hassle will go away, as I start to use things created in V8 format more and more.
If I need the functionality provided by Templates, I would access it from the Merge dialog but as I can't envisage ever needed anything it has to offer, I am happy for Merge to be as simple and straightforward as it is. That's not to say I can't see the other point of view, nor would making the Merge feature more versatile affect it's usefulness for me.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:06 am

For me it takes a lot less time to create a template once than to have to re-build that setup each time. The real savings comes when adding multichannel plugins. I'm interested to see how Templates are handled in Orion. Hopefully everyone will find their needs satisfied.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:46 am

Mine already are, it can only get worse from here [as it so often does].
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Vicious_Angel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:52 am

I was thinking the templates at the time i saw styles in orion.
I dint asked because i was sure that i was going to be flamed badly.
Orion is growing we have to adapt to that. I want to see more inserts but the only thing i am seeing is sends atm what i have to do? Simple i get on with it.

Atm i am more curious if the bugs are gonna disapear in V .8 than to ask new stuff. Especially the render part is making me want to break everything around me.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby bones » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:55 am

I've been doing heaps of rendering over the past few months and not had any problems at all. Maybe it's plug-in related?
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:05 pm

bones wrote:Mine already are, it can only get worse from here [as it so often does].

You know this has been mentioned before but if Orion is perfect for you now then just don't upgrade to the next version. Then it won't get worse. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Lance wrote: Template maniacs will face the reality, templates must be created first.

I'd rather create a Template once than have to build the same thing every time I load a plugin. I've had the "reality" of using track templates in both Reaper and Sonar and I can tell you they save me a lot of time.

I can use Song Merge as Templates. We're arguing about file extensions only. I'm happy with those templates which has .sfs file sextensions. ;) A one track .sfs, or one track imported from an .sfs is a one track 'Track Template'. What's the difference?
Lance
Guru

Postby Lance » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Teksonik wrote:For me it takes a lot less time to create a template once than to have to re-build that setup each time.

I asked for Song Merge for the same reason, to save the boring setup times. I can't imagine big differences between Song Merge and Templates other than, their names and file extensions. But still Song Merge is more instantly usable.
Lance
Guru

Postby Vicious_Angel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Hm the only difference is that you load a template from the menu as presets/styles are.

Song merge needs you to save your current project, open other songs to find something usefull, open again your previous project and merge it with open dialogues etc.

You get the idea right?

Now if we are good kids and pre design some templates into a folder its easier for us to load them.

Song merge = for bigger projects.
Templates = instant remixing ( our own music).

It all about time we consume in the procedure.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:47 am

For me Templates have nothing to do remixing. I just want to load up for example Nepheton and have all it's mixer strips pre-named, a kit loaded and any insert effects I have assigned to that kit. (sends would be nice as well but i can live without them).

To me that's the definition of a template. The ability to call up an instrument in a predefined state. No sequenced data just a blank slate to start a new song or add to a song I'm working on. Sounds like that will be possible in the new version of Orion.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:49 am

Lance wrote:I can use Song Merge as Templates. We're arguing about file extensions only. I'm happy with those templates which has .sfs file sextensions. ;) A one track .sfs, or one track imported from an .sfs is a one track 'Track Template'. What's the difference?

The difference is you're talking about track templates and I'm talking about instrument templates.

In the image above for example if I select RM5 Wizzoo Ambient 2 it loads the RM5 plugin, The Wizzoo kit with all the mixer strip named, Kick,Snare etc and any effects I have assigned to that particular kit. No Midi data, no sequenced notes.

Same with the guitar templates, each one calls up a different setup with different plugins, eq settings etc. No audio data.

In Reaper they are called track templates but that's a bit misleading. Instrument templates fits better. No need to load two .sfs and merge any parts just select the template you want from a drop down list just as you would any plugin.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 am

Teksonik wrote:You know this has been mentioned before but if Orion is perfect for you now then just don't upgrade to the next version. Then it won't get worse. :)

I was having exactly the same thought today. Trouble is, there is invariably good and bad and only an idiot would cut off his nose to spite his face. Of course, it depends on the balance - if Rich is never going to improve the existing generators [the new stuff in Wasp V is OK but not earth-shattering] then it probably won't take much to tip it in favour of the version I have tight now, with Merge but without Templates.
The automation clips look like a complete waste of time and unless templates are at the very bottom of the inert menu, it's likely they will just get in the way, much as Sampler/DrumRack presets do already.
Vicious_Angel wrote:Song merge needs you to save your current project, open other songs to find something usefull, open again your previous project and merge it with open dialogues etc.

That is only true right now, because Rich had to change the file format to make it work. In a year or two, you won't need to re-save things because you will have created them in v8 or better in the first place. In the long run all you will need to do is select Song|Merge, find the song you want to merge and select the instrument[s] you want from it.
Song merge = for bigger projects.
Templates = instant remixing ( our own music).

I would have thought Merge would have more application for remixing than templates, as it brings the patterns and Playlist stuff in as well.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist