Modular development

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Modular development

Postby epilogue » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 pm

Before I get started:
I know this is a total long shot and could end up being a clusterfuck from the word "Go".

Given the scope of difference in where people want Orion to grow, has anyone considered moving to add-ons instead of strapping new features to the core program?

Benefits:
* If you don't want a feature, you don't buy the plugin and therefore save on the $ and any computing overhead a feature might incur.
* People who want to expand specific functions of Orion can do so without affecting everybody, and in buying it, would essentially be paying a nominal fee for the development the area they want; the requests of the few don't affect the whole.
* The core program can stay as is, and in doing so retain all of the stability and reliability it already has.
* Theoretically, more money for Synapse. I'd damn sure plunk down $15 (easily more) in a heartbeat for the Merge feature alone; a 15%+ bonus for Synapse over the original OP purchase price (which is already jaw-droppingly low when comparison shopping)

Caveats:
* Plugin reliance - there could certainly come a time when using one plugin is contingent upon you also having another plugin. Enter the clusterfuck.
* Division of development means more headache.
* Potentially a fantastic amount code revision to even make this feasible.

/.e
Last edited by epilogue on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phreque.com - Weapons-Grade Awesome.
epilogue
Elite Producer

Modular development

Postby bones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 pm

It could also make upgrades less attractive if there is not much happening to the core code. I think it's much better to throw it all in together so that anyone who wants any part of it sees value in upgrading.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Modular development

Postby epilogue » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28 pm

I wouldn't rule out point releases for the Core system.
epilogue
Elite Producer

Modular development

Postby bones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 am

But then Rich has to decide if he wants to make Orion better or just make money, so it could skew development even further towards new instruments and effects. Whilst that suits me fine, it is clearly not what the majority would want to see.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Modular development

Postby epilogue » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:39 am

(If making money keeps OP alive, I'm for it.)
epilogue
Elite Producer

Modular development

Postby epilogue » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:42 am

Also, it should appeal more to the majority, frankly. You'd be able to get more specifically what you want and development on different branches could expand greatly on some basic ideas without worrying if people who want/would use A, would want B & C.

Want merge? Great! Grab the Merge add-on
Want automation clips? Peachy! Grab it!
Want neither? Fine!
Want both? Go for it!
Last edited by epilogue on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
epilogue
Elite Producer

Modular development

Postby bones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:19 am

I doubt it could be made modular on that level without a total rewrite. It would have to become like 3DS Max or Toxik, where every little thing is a plugin and it all has to be drawn separately, etc. Even though those Max and Toxik could be like that, they don;t try to maintain them that way, even with 90-odd developers working on it. It's just too much work. Individuals can go in and customise the krap out of it but the out-of-the-box version is the same for everyone. I'm sure it's way beyond the scope of what Synapse could realistically deliver and maintain.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Wishlist