Start recording on midi note

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby DMuzik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:00 am

With the coming ability in v8 to record midi patterns directly in the playlist I thought it would be a good idea to have a "Start recording on midi note"-option.

This means you could arm your track, start playback from any position in the song you'd like, and when you come to the part where you want your new pattern to be you just start playing your midikeys and the new pattern starts from there.
Last edited by DMuzik on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMuzik
Regular

Postby bones » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:18 am

If you use the metronome that shouldn't be much of an issue, but it would be a handy inclusion.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 am

Suppose you have a song nearly finished, with a structure like this:

Intro
Part A
Part B
Part A
Part B
End

Now let's say only a melody part is missing in B, and you record it in song mode directly. If the clip is inserted when you hit a key first, the pattern will start "randomly" somewhere in the arranger, and you'll need to lasso/copy it, to get it to the second part B. The way I made it now you only need 1 mouseclick at the second part B and you're done. It'll also look nicer when the pattern starts at a bar boundary.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

+1 For record from first midi note. Makes laying down a single rock solid pattern very easy. I don't know if I would use it as described above but for a single pattern I would use it a lot.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Basically it's a Punch In/Out you're looking for DMuzik. Set length/region within Pattern or Song, cue to just before and arm Rec. Once in that region, soon as you play new notes it immediately replaces the existing notes. And all resumes to normal once the end length has passed.

It's ironic that so much wishes now are going back to old sequencers and tape options. When I first got into OP, I was mortified that 'basic sequencing options' I took for granted weren't there. But since learned to use new generators, copy/paste, and so forth. Is it better than 'basic MIDI sequencing options'...? It was differnet, I'll give it that. And now 10-15 years latter, OP is turning into the 'rich man's XG Works'. Advancing the future through history. ;)
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Return to Wishlist