v8 improved limiter please

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 pm

How much Red Bull and coffee can Rich do in a day is what I'd like to know!
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:45 am

LOTS OF IT, IT SEEMS... hahaha.... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

It's like this...

00:03 am: Here's a beta for you guys, need urgent testing
00:17 am: Uploaded the new version, changed some tiny thingy in the coding, now it's 7.938
00:23 am: Re-uploaded the new version, now it's 7.939
00:26 am: Sorry, reuploaded again, forgot to change something, version 7.940
00:34 am: I disagree with you Krim, but I made it work like this. New version 7.941
03:17 am: [after lenghty discussion with those who are still awake] I agree with you guys, but I think the skin looks better this way. Reuploaded new version 7.942
ETC...

It's crazy, I tell you. By the time I get to see all that, I already missed on a few versions :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

DISCLAIMER: All times, events and versions are fictional or not, and Rich is a God. :D
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Mon May 03, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Really surprised at all Rich is doing. Like a baker, I think Rich made OP originally like this Swiss Vanilla cake. Bland and boring to some on the outside - but stick that fork in and taste it. Damn, that's good cake! :hihi: With OP8 now, I hate to say - but it reminds me of the story of Hansel and Gretal. All this extra sugar and frosting and candies being dumped on to lure kiddies in, as Rich rubs his hands together with glee. :rofl: It looks good, and I'm sure tastes good.
But is Rich going to pay for our liposuction after?

I'm just going to sit with Bones and order another scotch. It'll either enhance or kill the extra sugar when the big slab arrives. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby T-Breaks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:35 pm

suecae_sounds wrote:btw, L1 costs 300 $..

try this:
http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html

sounds good and costs nada
Last edited by T-Breaks on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby opi » Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 am

Richard wrote:The old compressor will be ditched in O8 (ie, it'll stay there, but for backwards compatibility only). O8 will sport a highly sophisticated new virtual analog compressor, which sounds much better, is easier to use, yet allows much more flexibility. Like hardware compressors, it does not only support sidechaining, but also allows you to plug in effects into both the audio signal as well as the control signal path. That way, any lookahead is possible, among many other things. Factor in the Band splitter and the degree of freedom you have there is just sick, way beyond what hardware could ever accomplish. But even without all that fancy stuff the basic sound is way superior to the old compressor. Additionally it comes with professional instantaneous RMS metering, showing not just input level but gain reduction as well- always handy to know what is going on. :)

Back to the original question, I suppose you have a limiter primarily for the master output in mind? I might develop something dedicated for that as well, even though the new compressor is perfectly up to that task, variety is always good. Limiters work differently, particularly the new breed of digital limiters, which are not to be confused with hardware compressors/limiters. I don't think it is as important though for the master, given the many dedicated plugins available.

The most exciting news I've seen in a while about OP.Rumors are flying around about some old synths being ditched or overhauled too,that + the new comp make the upgrade seem inevitable.

With 7.62 I'm set so OP always opens with a limiter (hello w1) in the last fx slot of the master (I like to fight dirty with my gens sometimes and accidentally make noises that could blow out my eardrums)
opi
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 03, 2010 3:44 pm

I think what may happen is users will start hearing me or Krim or other long time users still using these old chorus and comps and synths, and may make for a distinctive sound - even over all of Rich's improvements. That Roland Chorus thing now buried. Noisey as anything, but one of the best emulations I've heard. Comp's and all have done me well for quite some time.

But new users who buy OP8 and start with that - they don't get all the old goldies like us long timers have?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby suecae_sounds » Mon May 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Just to trow my exitedness into the arena. I don't view these additions as 'bells and whistles'. Actually they are essentials and makes it even easier to maintain a completely self-sufficient Orion install without any or few added plugins. They make a very compelling argument to beginners too.

Compressor, Limiter, template workflow, overhauled automation system and dynamic lenght for patterns in record mode make for a very sweet package. Anything more is purely a bonus in my eyes. Now I am just looking forward to eventually finding out what automation system Richard will opt for... :)
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon May 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Steven, trust me, you're gonna love this thing.
It will remind you of the good ol' days ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm looking foward to it. But can't complain about Rich's work in past. He's always had 'the good ol' days' well taken care of IMHO. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm

It's vintage old :hihi:

BTW, don't worry about new users not experiencing old stuff. I'm sure before you know it, people will be swapping templates with them around :hihi:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Mark » Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
BTW, don't worry about new users not experiencing old stuff. I'm sure before you know it, people will be swapping templates with them around :hihi:

I was just about to bring that up. Don't worry Stevie-O that ol' Vintage Chorus ain't lost forever!
Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue May 04, 2010 5:02 am

Actually, the VC is back in the Insert now, as I see it :D
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby hseiken » Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 am

Im kind of fond of using the saturator in orion on the main output as a limiter. But the again, im not a fan of modern ultra-loud stuff coming out these days, though the saturator can do that just fine.
hseiken
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Bet L-1 can do better ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

PreviousNext