FR: Sampler Improvements

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am

I hear you Opi. But I think even Bones knows to emulate certain wind and string instruments well, portamento is somewhat essential. Harder to implement on a sampler than a synth I think. And too, I think Bones is just worried one of us is going to do a cover of ELP's 'Lucky Man' if we get too much portamento on our gear. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby bones » Wed May 26, 2010 7:36 am

I don't care what you idiots ask for, I can't see Rich caring all that much. Some goose asks a stupid question and you all go off like shot dogs. Rich has given no indication whatsoever that he has any interest in working on the Sampler. The to-do list for V8 is already massive so feel free to ask for anything you like, the chance of getting any of it is zero [except the larger GUI, which I have already made].
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby JavierRubio » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

larger GUI for the sampler? for the same number of controls?
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby suecae_sounds » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 am

I can't see what the harm is in having an open discussion about what kind of improvements we would like to see. I also fail to see the point of calling people idiots because of this.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby El_Capitan » Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
El_Capitan wrote:- Individual Amplitude ADSR on each slice (or at least AR)

Where do you propose controls for those should be? On the "much larger GUI"?

Groove View. Theres already individual Slice parameters on there.. just add the Envelope Parameters there.
El_Capitan
Regular

Postby El_Capitan » Wed May 26, 2010 1:15 pm

JavierRubio wrote:larger GUI for the sampler? for the same number of controls?

Its not only about larger surface area but larger controls too.
El_Capitan
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I think Machinist is simply testing the waters, and maybe interesting for Rich to consider how many users rely on and would like to see OP's sampler improved somewhat. They haven't come 'en masse' here so far, and the hopes and desires hasn't been too radical either. Minor upgrades for 7.xx possibly, to something put on the next drawing board for OP9. You know as well as I Bones it either should happen, or it's going to happen down the road.

But kudo's for the bigger GUI. That'll be a definite help. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby V/M » Wed May 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:...consider how many users rely on and would like to see OP's sampler improved somewhat...

Drum Rack and Sampler are probably the 2 built-in instruments that I use the most.

However, I am still using 7.5 until I finish with my current project,
and I understand improvements to Wasp have been made since then.
Last edited by V/M on Wed May 26, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V/M
Professional

Postby machinist » Wed May 26, 2010 3:55 pm

bones wrote:I don't care what you idiots ask for

ignore the thread then

bones wrote:I can't see Rich caring all that much.

but you're not Rich, so im not that bothered about what you think he thinks

bones wrote: Rich has given no indication whatsoever that he has any interest in working on the Sampler.

so?

bones wrote:The to-do list for V8 is already massive so feel free to ask for anything you like, the chance of getting any of it is zero

not totally true is is...if enough ppl ask for a decent feature, im sure Rich would consider it, and maybe even as part of the improvements for V8 if its a viable option

so, there is no harm in asking around what other users might find useful to see if the is a collective 'wish'
machinist
Regular

Postby opi » Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 pm

suecae_sounds wrote:I can't see what the harm is in having an open discussion about what kind of improvements we would like to see. I also fail to see the point of calling people idiots because of this.

It's the ol' knock em down to build yourself up.
opi
Regular

Postby bones » Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 pm

No, it is simply the difference between a discussion and a circle-jerk.
suecae_sounds wrote:I can't see what the harm is in having an open discussion about what kind of improvements we would like to see. I also fail to see the point of calling people idiots because of this.

The guy who started the thread didn't ask for any improvements up front, then later on he got around to it but still managed not to do as he had asked others to - provide reasons.. It reads to me like he just wants to complain for no reason. i.e. "The Sampler needs more features. I don't have any idea what features it needs, but it surely needs more features." How is that not the behaviour of an idiot? If someone really needs a feature, that is one thing but idiotic speculation like this is stupid.
V/M wrote:However, I am still using 7.5 until I finish with my current project,

No. I doubt Wasp will change at all in v8. Rich has kind of rolled all the things he was looking at for Wasp into this new VSTi and the impression I get is that Wasp will remain unchanged. I hope I'm wrong, but at this stage that is how it looks to me [I don't much like the new instrument]. OTOH, DrumRack has already had a number of changes made, mostly around supporting GM kits.
machinist wrote:so, there is no harm in asking around what other users might find useful to see if the is a collective 'wish'

Why? Who are you to decide what to hassle Rich about when you don't have any requests of your own? It's stupid.
machinist wrote:you dont have to pay to import a file type.

In many cases you absolutely have to pay for access to other vendors proprietary formats. It's how many companies grow their revenue.
osp's are embedded, same as nki stuff (some types)

OSP is Orion's own, proprietary format, invented by Rich. What the hell is NKI?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby V/M » Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 am

bones wrote:
V/M wrote:However, I am still using 7.5 until I finish with my current project,

No. I doubt Wasp will change at all in v8.

I was talking about Wasp 5, which came out between 7.5 (which I am using) and 7.62.
V/M
Professional

Postby machinist » Thu May 27, 2010 4:00 pm

bones wrote: Who are you to decide what to hassle Rich about when you don't have any requests of your own? It's stupid.

hassle? Rich himself made a 'wishlist' forum, so i think its ok to test the waters as to what other ppl want

ive seen a ton of comments about the sampler, so thought it would be a good idea to collect them in a single thread and see if there was a common denominator...if that ok with you..is it?

Warren, you have to realise that you bullish attitude doesnt work with everyone, so cool your jets, and if something is getting you back up, ignore it, move along, dont trouble your infantry mind with such matters, theres a good chap.

this thread doesnt have anything to do with you, its not about you, so you have no need to concern yourself with it
machinist
Regular

Postby machinist » Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm

bones wrote:OSP is Orion's own, proprietary format, invented by Rich.

im aware of that, i make osp's all the time

bones wrote:What the hell is NKI?

a diff format for a diff sampler...try google if you really want to know
machinist
Regular

Postby machinist » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm

bones wrote:The guy who started the thread didn't ask for any improvements up front, then later on he got around to it but still managed not to do as he had asked others to - provide reasons..

quite true, i didnt follow my own 'rules', but i only mentioned those just so ppl would try to give valid reasons to keep you off their backs

bones wrote: It reads to me like he just wants to complain for no reason. i.e. "The Sampler needs more features. I don't have any idea what features it needs, but it surely needs more features."

then you clearly cannot read, as i havent complained once, and dont intend to.
Last edited by machinist on Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machinist
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist